Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM

37,808 posts, read 46,333,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
It seems this way, except if you're under 35, or if you live in a place with good salaries and a below average costs of living. However, on the flip side, most men do not care if a woman doesn't have her own place, no matter what age.
Now if a man owns a house and rents rooms out, that's not a bad thing, seemingly, other than that, if a 35 or over man, doesn't have their own apartment or house yet, most Women out there judge that when it comes to dating.
This is one reason, why, I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps, some of these women, need to learn what's going on it a lot of major and popular, American Cities (look at the chart below)?
I don't see it getting better, before it gets worse, so let's be fairer to each other?
A guy may have a nice place and their own condo or house, but, if he's living paycheck or paycheck or worse, or working 60 hours or more a week, just to do so, how is that impressive in the female mind (even thought that shouldn't matter that much either)?
I know about the privacy thing and maybe having to work around romantic times, but, there's always hotels, if you're really that bent out of shape about it.
Women, and men, are free to "judge" whatever they feel is important to them. Not a thing wrong with that. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 02:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,120,942 times
Because in spite of all the feminist BS, most women still prefer successful men who earn a lot and could be providers. Women invoke the "gender equality" when it works for them, such as when they are demanding promotion at work over men or accusing men of harassment. When it comes to paying for the dates or the type of men to date, all the "gender equality" flies off the window.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:24 PM

930 posts, read 703,221 times
Living at home with your parents is one thing. Living with roommates is another thing altogether.

If you're living at home with your parents, I'd question for how long? Is it temporary? When I moved back to my home state a couple years ago, I moved back in with my parents until I could get my own place. I knew that my dating life was ultimately going to take a back seat and I dealt with it.

Now that I moved back to my 2nd home state, I have recently bought a condo and rent out the 2nd bedroom. To my knowledge, it's fairly common to have roommates in the metro I live in because the COL has been sky rocketing over the last few years. My GF spends this night quite often and has no qualms about me having a roommate. A lot of people I know in their 20s and 30s are still renting with roommates, again, because COL has made home purchasing locally somewhat unaffordable for many young professionals.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,241,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
... most Women out there judge...
Most everyone judges what they want in a mate. As well they should.

Quote:
This is one reason, why, I hope I'm wrong.
So you can continue to live with Mom AND hope to get a date?

Quote:
Perhaps, some of these women, need to learn what's going on it a lot of major and popular, American Cities
Why do they need to learn this? I was living on my own by the ripe old age of 21. Paying my bills, making it work. Like an adult. Why would I not have wanted, even then, to date a likewise adult? Interestingly, despite living in a big city, I never had trouble meeting men who were adults.

Quote:
I don't see it getting better, before it gets worse, so let's be fairer to each other?
Seems that IS fair. But really, in dating, what is this "fair"? No one owes someone else a date.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:42 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,138,957 times
I would have thoroughly expected any man I dated to "judge" me based on whether or not I was self-supporting and able to live independently.

And I'm quite sure they did.

Who the hell wants a helpless mate?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:44 PM

52,444 posts, read 52,990,881 times
If a dude is over 35 and living at home, he better have some very good and specific reasons why. I think that most people usually get their stuff together by early mid 20's and are living on their own or with a roommate for high COL areas. I think that by 35 you should be basically roommate free as well, heck if that means living in a studio type apartment then so be it. I don't want to go to woman's house and deal with roommates and such. Color me judgy if ya like.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:49 PM

930 posts, read 703,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
If a dude is over 35 and living at home, he better have some very good and specific reasons why. I think that most people usually get their stuff together by early mid 20's and are living on their own or with a roommate for high COL areas. I think that by 35 you should be basically roommate free as well, heck if that means living in a studio type apartment then so be it. I don't want to go to woman's house and deal with roommates and such. Color me judgy if ya like.
I would take exception to high COL areas. I know in places like NY, DC, LA, SF, it's fairly common to have roommates if you're living in or near the city well past your 20s.

I rent out my 2nd bedroom and the deal is with my roommate (who happens to be a close friend) that if/when my GF decides to move in, he will need to find another place. But then I'm ultimately just trading one roommate in for another. I could afford to live on my own as well, it's just convenient for me to split the cost, and convenient for my friend who has a hard time affording most of the apartments in the metro area.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,275,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Because in spite of all the feminist BS, most women still prefer successful men who earn a lot and could be providers. Women invoke the "gender equality" when it works for them, such as when they are demanding promotion at work over men or accusing men of harassment. When it comes to paying for the dates or the type of men to date, all the "gender equality" flies off the window.
Sorry, but I have always looked for equals in relationships. I was living in an apartment with roommates at age 19. Why should I expect any less of someone I was to be in a relationship with?

Now, if the woman was 35 living at home and looking down her nose at someone that was the same age in the same circumstances then that could be an issue.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 48,030,547 times
Failure to launch is a red flag, whether male or female.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:59 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,638,230 times
30's is just way too old for that kind of thing unless its a caregiver situation where mom or dad can't live alone anymore. I see nothing wrong with families finding a way to care for one another and working something like that out. Staying with a relative for a bit while in transition is fine to, but isn't 6 months unreasonable?

My son moved out on his own at age 20. We let him stay here while he was attending school for a couple years after high school. He moved back in temporarily when there was a problem at his bad neighborhood apartment and he needed to get out of a bad place. We are here to help, but it was literally a few short weeks. What takes so long for a single person to find a place and they are with their parents for months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships