Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM

52,357 posts, read 52,828,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
I would take exception to high COL areas. I know in places like NY, DC, LA, SF, it's fairly common to have roommates if you're living in or near the city well past your 20s.

I rent out my 2nd bedroom and the deal is with my roommate (who happens to be a close friend) that if/when my GF decides to move in, he will need to find another place. But then I'm ultimately just trading one roommate in for another. I could afford to live on my own as well, it's just convenient for me to split the cost, and convenient for my friend who has a hard time affording most of the apartments in the metro area.
Well, I live in the most expensive area, based on the graphic image that was posted and maybe because I'm a loner type but I would gag at the thought of having a roommate, makes me shudder thinking about it, I'm mid 40's and I just can't see a guy my age and in my circle of friends/family having a roommate at those ages.

I'm an old lion I guess, but whatever floats people's boats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:08 PM

930 posts, read 701,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, I live in the most expensive area, based on the graphic image that was posted and maybe because I'm a loner type but I would gag at the thought of having a roommate, makes me shudder thinking about it, I'm mid 40's and I just can't see a guy my age and in my circle of friends/family having a roommate at those ages.

I'm an old lion I guess, but whatever floats people's boats.
If you can afford it, so be it. Also, I think being in your 40s, there are different expectations than in your 30s. I just think about those shows like Friends or How I Met Your Mother. Those guys were living together as roommates into their 30s in NYC, and moved out only once they got married.

But yeah, some people are just opposed to roommates in general. I feel this way for the most part, but took on my current roommate to help me afford some upgrades to my new place and build up my savings again after dropping a down payment on my condo. I was also helping a friend out who was struggling to afford the rents here. As I said though, once my GF decides she's ready to move in, I will be giving him notice to look for a new place.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:10 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,785,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patches403 View Post
Over 35 year old man or woman living with roommates is no problem, but still living at home is a big fat no.

Coming from a woman - women are attracted to men who have some level of ambition and some promise of being successful either currently or at least in the future because no woman wants to live her married life in her mother-in-law's basement. If by 35 years old a guy can't even support himself to the point of living independently of his parents, how is he going to be able to ever afford to support kids?

Even in an expensive city, most adults will live with multiple roommates rather than in mom's basement. Most well-adjusted adults have no interest in living under their parent's roof unless it's a dire emergency. Living with parents after 35 for either gender is a huge sign that that person is more of a child than an adult - and probably always will be.
ding! ding! ding! ding!

Jackpot.

I agree with this 1000%

Old 02-08-2016, 03:27 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,435 times
Do men really not mind? I don't know about that. I mean, so many of them don't even want a female physician to check their prostates. I can't imagine a man being thrilled with worrying about whether his SO's roommates need the bathroom after he has a colon blow from the previous night's chili or something.

I can't imagine someone of either sex feeling entirely comfortable having sex with an SO in that kind of living arrangement, either. Having to worry about whether someone else hears you? At that age? I don't think it all that unreasonable for an adult to cherish the freedom to screw on the couch or eat breakfast in his skivvies. I know one couldn't do that if there are kids around, and at that age many people already have kids. But a kid-free person? Nah. Part of the fun of being kid-free is to indulge in such freedoms.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:40 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,439,442 times
White people problems.

Interestingly the Chinese, ABCs, certain other Asians around here don't have such a hang up about having to prove oneself by having one's own place. I see single ABCs living with parents until marriage.

What is old is new.

But hey, it's only money.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 PM

8,281 posts, read 8,686,584 times
An adult would not live with parents, except for a caregiver situation, or with a roommate. Both show that a person can't make it on their own either financially or mentally. Both are red flags.

At 35 it better be owner not renter. I don't care what city it is.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:44 PM

52,357 posts, read 52,828,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Do men really not mind? I don't know about that. I mean, so many of them don't even want a female physician to check their prostates. I can't imagine a man being thrilled with worrying about whether his SO's roommates need the bathroom after he has a colon blow from the previous night's chili or something.

I can't imagine someone of either sex feeling entirely comfortable having sex with an SO in that kind of living arrangement, either. Having to worry about whether someone else hears you? At that age? I don't think it all that unreasonable for an adult to cherish the freedom to screw on the couch or eat breakfast in his skivvies. I know one couldn't do that if there are kids around, and at that age many people already have kids. But a kid-free person? Nah. Part of the fun of being kid-free is to indulge in such freedoms.

I posted earlier about not wanting to go to woman's house and having to deal with roommates, I might wanna walk around the house with the ol dork hanging out and not worrying about scaring her roommates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
White people problems.

Interestingly the Chinese, ABCs, certain other Asians around here don't have such a hang up about having to prove oneself by having one's own place. I see single ABCs living with parents until marriage.

What is old is new.

Not sure why you felt the need to inject race into this discussion. Must be nice to be a non-white and be able to talk smack. Me, middle aged white guy, can't pull that one off very easily.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,025,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Failure to launch is a red flag, whether male or female.
I agree. If that makes me judgmental, so what?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:50 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,061,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
White people problems.

What is old is new.

No. It's not only money. It is independence and self-sufficiency.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:52 PM

13,677 posts, read 9,759,442 times
If there is a double-standard, I welcome it. This gives the more "successful" men an advantage.

Quote:
Do men really not mind? ...
I don't mind in the least. If a woman is still living with her mother, I'd be inclined to regard that as frugality or filial solicitousness, rather than "failure to launch". A sizable number of my dates have been with either women who still live with their mom, or women who rent a room (and it's literally a room) from a matron-like landlady. These were women around 40, and child-free. Another, at age 47, went through a divorce, and moved in with her 80-year-old mother. In fact I've observed that it's the single-moms who are more likely to have their own domicile, while the child-free tend to either remain dependent on parents or on a gracious and accommodating landlady.

Quote:
I can't imagine someone of either sex feeling entirely comfortable having sex with an SO in that kind of living arrangement, either. ... Nah. Part of the fun of being kid-free is to indulge in such freedoms.
If/when the relationship becomes intimate, there's always my place... where the indulgence in freedom isn't bounded by privacy-concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships