Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 06:42 PM

52,417 posts, read 52,947,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep, unless they're H1B visa indentured servant engineers. I can remember new grad engineers who did roommates for a year or two. If you're making 10%er or better income, the roommate thing rarely lasts long.
When I was around 20 or 21 I moved out and in with a buddy of mine at the time and it was great, we were young going out chasing girls and all of that. I was also going to college at the same time back then but it was fun. I just couldn't imagine having a roommate at 35. I think it's a moot point in a lot of situations as when you're young like that most people end up meeting a person and either getting married or at least cohabitation so some of that thins out the roommate thing on it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,375,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I posted earlier about not wanting to go to woman's house and having to deal with roommates, I might wanna walk around the house with the ol dork hanging out and not worrying about scaring her roommates.

Not sure why you felt the need to inject race into this discussion. Must be nice to be a non-white and be able to talk smack. Me, middle aged white guy, can't pull that one off very easily.
I'm a whitey, but was once married to an API and I do think that the poster has a point, though. Not at all uncommon for men and women who are Asian to live at home (if there's room) or to live in housing owned by family if they're single. Or, hell, even if they're married.

It's a cultural thing, I reckon.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm a whitey, but was once married to an API and I do think that the poster has a point, though. Not at all uncommon for men and women who are Asian to live at home (if there's room) or to live in housing owned by family if they're single. Or, hell, even if they're married.

Yeah, I did acknowledge somewhere in this thread that I get that other cultures do things differenet. I just took a little umbrage at the white people comment and how he was clearly sort of mocking about it, but whatever, I'm not really upset, just irked that I can't as a white guy make blank statements like that. LOL..

Imagine me as a white guy saying something like......... "Black folks, my god, you guys got X" fill in the blank with whatever ignorant comment you want.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:16 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,549,443 times
Way too many are missing the point about living with parents. While I acknowledge that the stereotypical stoner who works a low skill job at 40 and lives with Mom and Dad exists but I honestly believe that is NOT the norm for older adults that do this.
Say someone who has their parents as their best friend or one of them which isn't uncommon, lives in San Francisco, for all their lives, but to dumb luck or whatever, they are a teacher at a public school, maybe one they even went to. The only way they can keep their relationship with their parents, as close is to live at home and pay some rent, instead of living with roommates they may not hit it with.
Or are some of you on here so shallow that you would say too bad move to Sacramento?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,114,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Way too many are missing the point about living with parents. While I acknowledge that the stereotypical stoner who works a low skill job at 40 and lives with Mom and Dad exists but I honestly believe that is NOT the norm for older adults that do this.
Say someone who has their parents as their best friend or one of them which isn't uncommon, lives in San Francisco, for all their lives, but to dumb luck or whatever, they are a teacher at a public school, maybe one they even went to. The only way they can keep their relationship with their parents, as close is to live at home and pay some rent, instead of living with roommates they may not hit it with.
Or are some of you on here so shallow that you would say too bad move to Sacramento?
Their parents are their best friend? The only way to keep their relationship close with the parents is to live with them? What...?? And what does being a teacher have to do with anything? I am lost.

And why the hell would they have to move to Sacramento?

Weird post.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:39 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,430,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

"API" isn't in my vocabulary and Google didn't help. Acronym translation pleeeeze?

Old 02-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
"API" isn't in my vocabulary and Google didn't help. Acronym translation pleeeeze?

I assumed Asian Pacific Islander.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:50 PM

13,704 posts, read 9,806,354 times
Quote:
"Asian or Pacific Islander".

Goeff, in the Relationships forum there's been an unconscionably huge volume of argument on whether or not women - as a group - are interested in improving their socioeconomic class through marriage; on whether (and why) men - as a group - might indulge in demonstrative sour-grape dismissal of dating or marriage; and so forth. This is why broaching the subject is now met with so much antagonism.

Then there's a completely different retort to the topic: namely, the assertion that if the person in question is "hot", then his/her financial status, living arrangements, job, money, 401K, whatever, are rendered irrelevant. This too has generated years of recriminating exchanges on this forum.

Ultimately, if in a given dating market there are lots of good-looking available financially-secure men, then there less-favored brethren will be disadvantaged. If however everyone's a loser, then the local merely half-loser will have lots of options to be choosy. And likewise with women.

From personal conjecture, what I have been finding, in my local market, is that women over 40 - who do happen to have their own lives well-assembled, who don't have "baggage" such as children from prior relationships, will enjoy a very fine position, should they choose to date. Their male counterparts are not so fortunate.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:02 PM

2,764 posts, read 2,242,636 times
I see both sides of the story here.

On one hand a man should have his financial act together and either live on his own, or own a place with room mates to help pay the mortgage by 35. Who wants to date a man who isn't independent or doesn't have the financial means to support himself?

But on the other hand in some cities the price of renting or owning is out of reach for the average male. How can he survive on his own without room mates or living at home?

I remember reading two different articles about the hardship for men to get married because they can't afford to have their own place or live on their own. One was a city in Asia and the other was in Europe.

Does money matter in dating? Let's stop asking that from now on.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:03 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,554,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
Because of traditional gender roles, which women use when it's convenient for them.
Oh, b.s.

I can't think of a single PERSON, regardless of gender, who would this this is ok for a man or a woman.

35?! By then, all education and career-building should be complete.

I have one 40 year-old friend who resides with her parents. But that is bc her mother had a debilitating stroke and she and her father split the around-the-clock care. She has a full time job that could easily afford her a very nice place on her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships