Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

Every time this comes up, the same tired cliche is used, and every time it is used I wonder why so many have such a low opinion of romantic activities that they must refer to them with the same disgusting verb that they use to refer to a necessary but unpleasant bathroom function. If its that nasty, why avoid it only at work? Why do it anywhere at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 12:32 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,999,231 times
My company works there staff so many hours they practically tell you that it's OK to date coworkers.

We've had husband/wife supervisor/leads for the same shift and department. Lots of married couples at my company.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
As someone's boss I can tell you no matter the company policy or personal feelings...

It's like trying to tell a toddler not to eat the cookie that's sitting right in front of them 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:22 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
With so many posts, "I met this guy/gal at work..." and you know the rest. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here gives the sound advice: Don't date a coworker! Ever! If you don't want to jeopardize your job/career then admire from afar. If you or your "crush" coworker separates from employment, that's one thing. But one call or report to a supervisor, manager, or HR could ruin your day. It's been said before, it'll be said once more: Don't **** where you eat!
Agree 100%. You could end up losing your job - or worse - if you date a co-worker. Not worth it.

Old 02-21-2016, 01:58 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
We can, but I never wanted to. Too much time spent shoved together. It has led to some great friendships for me, but no romance.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:02 AM

914 posts, read 738,060 times
I used to date people from work (I say "used to" because not encountered anyone hot recently ) . I work for a big company though, with many different departments, teams and people. Never experienced any issues personally. There are quite a few people at my office who met at work, some of them are even married now!

I wouldn't date a supervisor or somebody in my department/team though.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
With so many posts, "I met this guy/gal at work..." and you know the rest. I'm sure that I'm not the only one here gives the sound advice: Don't date a coworker! Ever! If you don't want to jeopardize your job/career then admire from afar.
If you or your "crush" coworker separates from employment, that's one thing. But one call or report to a supervisor, manager, or HR could ruin your day. It's been said before, it'll be said once more: Don't **** where you eat!
My job has no rules against it. There are several married couples at my job and some are in senior positions. So I don't see the problem.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
So can I have sex with them if we don't date?

Old 02-21-2016, 08:20 AM

123 posts, read 120,846 times
I'd refrain from dating someone in my department or otherwise worked with closely. Outside of that, I've been in and have seen some great relationships come about in the workplace. You just need to be a smart, mature adult about it. That could be the limiting factor.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:30 AM

65 posts, read 55,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMfan View Post
I'd refrain from dating someone in my department or otherwise worked with closely. Outside of that, I've been in and have seen some great relationships come about in the workplace. You just need to be a smart, mature adult about it. That could be the limiting factor.
YEP. Just don't act differently when you're around the other person outside of your "trysts." The real problem arises when you work closely together and people find out. Then if there's a work-related conflict, people will not take it seriously, for instance, if you support each other's position. They'll be like "Oh, of course you'd stick up for your boyfriend/girlfriend," and your credibility is diminished. Everyone will see every interaction between the two of you in a new light. So yeah, just be a smart, mature adult about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships