Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2016, 02:51 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Uh, again, this is the United States of America, not Britain.

The WHOLE POINT of this Nation -- the most important founding principle -- is that WE DO NOT HAVE A MONARCH. We are all commoners. We do not have a Queen who is Without Peer. The commoners elect a fellow commoner to be the Head of State and Chief Executive. The current President of the United States grew up poor, raised by a single mother. Now he is the most powerful man in the world. Because fellow commoners (including myself) voted for him.

So I don't know what you mean by lower social classes.

We have ECONOMIC classes, but not social.

Plus...in another forum, you stated that people do not perceive you as being affluent. So if people don't perceive you as being affluent, what does it matter if your date is not affluent?

btw...I grew up in the upper ECONOMIC class...I'm not there anymore personally since I make $11.25/hr right now....but my dad made a lot of money (as much if not more than you), we lived in a five bedroom house with a huge pool, a spa, and yard workers, in Silicon Valley. He's been on a city commission for 20 years and anyone who owns a large area of land in our suburb interacts with him at some point. I grew up knowing the mayor and all the wealthy families in the area for that reason. Even in San Jose itself, 20 miles from my suburb, people know who he is. And yet I have friends of all income levels, and one of my closer friends lost his minimum wage job recently, so yeah, I don't know what your deal is. This is the USA, not the UK.

Even the UK -- a monarchy -- isn't as stratified socially anymore in 2016 as you're implying the USA -- a republic -- to be. The UK doesn't have serfs anymore, etc.
Thanks for the Civics class, but life isn't always like what they tell you in school. For example, they also tell you in Civics class that juries are picked impartially, but they're not. The us does have socio-economic classes, whether that reality fits your school lessons or not. Walk through a book store, and you'll see a lot of books on that subject, if you didn't take any classes in college that address it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Sounds like both of you are just arrogant. Lots of us who come from an affluent background relate to people of all income levels. Sorry, but I think it is a personal issue that certain people have; it is not something intrinsic to everyone of a given income level.
I think their point, especially Hi's, is that although they relate to people of all levels, not all levels relate to them. I think some people are quietly self-conscious or feel a little intimidated when in the company of someone with more education, or someone who comes from a more affluent background, due to whatever they imagine that people like that are like. Others are fine, comfortable with whomever.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:19 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Just for the record though...this is just these men and their insecurities. I'm not intimated by women that are more successful than me at all because I'm not a huge corporate America rat race person (even though I'm typing this from my sweet desk and office at work lol) and I'm happy with myself and where I'm at in life. So successful women can't really just use them as poster boys to rule everyone out.
I'm one of the guys you quoted. Im not a corporate rat race person myself. If I could get something a little better than the crap entry-level job I have now and not really progress any further, I'd be happy. However, a lot of my "insecurity" is the area I live in. I make $45k here in DC with a Bachelor's and a grad school certificate under my wing. Other places I'd be king but in DC I'm at the bottom of the food chain for everything.

I want to date a woman who has something upstairs as well as downstairs but I don't want to be constantly reminded that I haven't done career wise yet.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'm one of the guys you quoted. Im not a corporate rat race person myself. If I could get something a little better than the crap entry-level job I have now and not really progress any further, I'd be happy. However, a lot of my "insecurity" is the area I live in. I make $45k here in DC with a Bachelor's and a grad school certificate under my wing. Other places I'd be king but in DC I'm at the bottom of the food chain for everything.

I want to date a woman who has something upstairs as well as downstairs but I don't want to be constantly reminded that I haven't done career wise yet.
Slight off-topic digression, but have you thought about looking for jobs in other cities that would offer you more growth opportunities? And what's a "graduate certificate" vs. an MA?

Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Slight off-topic digression, but have you thought about looking for jobs in other cities that would offer you more growth opportunities? And what's a "graduate certificate" vs. an MA?
I've thought about moving, but I feel that this city has the best selection of jobs and I have connections here. Plus I have a strong support system here, something I wouldn't give up lightly after what I went through a few years ago when my father died and I had just moved somewhere and had no friends around. I'm just not ready to quit on DC just yet.

Graduate certificate at my school was 18 credits while a MA is 36 credits. I have 21 credits currently and am considering going back to finish the program out if my job situation doesn't improve.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I've thought about moving, but I feel that this city has the best selection of jobs and I have connections here. Plus I have a strong support system here, something I wouldn't give up lightly after what I went through a few years ago when my father died and I had just moved somewhere and had no friends around. I'm just not ready to quit on DC just yet.

Graduate certificate at my school was 18 credits while a MA is 36 credits. I have 21 credits currently and am considering going back to finish the program out if my job situation doesn't improve.
Good for you! Halfway through an MA. FYI, back in the 90's, a bunch of gov't agencies began requiring MA's of their employees, I guess to upgrade their staff, or something, idk. So people had to go back to school to get the MA if they wanted to keep their job. I don't know how widespread a practice that was. But it seems that these days in order to make decent money in a lot of professions, you need an MA.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It's kind of like how people who grew up during the Great Depression couldn't bare to throw things out or spend too freely, even decades after they became financially stable. I grew up as a "have not"; because I didn't get the start in life that my peers did, and will never have the safety net they have (and sometimes take for granted), there is an obsessive fear that one screw up or well-intended bad decision will send me right back to where I came from, and I won't be able to claw my way back out again. It's not something that people who grew up in a stable environment can ever really understand, and it can become an elephant in the room even when former "have nots" don't have a chip on their shoulder about it.
So people never change from age 16 to 86? I never traveled when I was in my 20's..but I love to travel now at almost 40. So a woman that loves to travel should avoid me because I didn't when I was 25? I'm still not buying it.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:18 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:

I understand your frustrations that would be a little daunting given how much you make and I've never lived in a super high cost of living area like that. I would just fine tune your appearance if needed, where you hang out, and have a good personality. You shouldn't have any problem from there on out. There's lots of great women out there that would date you. No need to settle for a bottom feeder. If I hate to date in an area like DC I would have a whole strategy laid out due to the higher prevalence of women that expect a man to make X amount of money.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:32 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Actually..I don't believe these men who as OP says "Turned Off" by successful women is actually an appropriate term..because there's a lot of men who love to interact with successful, intellectual women. The actually issue is "Intimidated" because somehow..for whatever their reasons ..during their influences during their nurturing period..THEY somehow feel 1) unequal 2) unable to compete 3) unable to actually get along and dominate 4) have unhealthy mindset that does not allow them to accept a female as an equal..as in their view.."Women" must be subservient 5) The confident female, will never be dominated to their viewpoint..Yikes the list goes on...

However..Most males over my lifetime....have shown not just respect for females who shot intellect and knowledge are those males who were brought up with female influence..thus likely learned from their childhood..Female's count for something..have ideas and are good ally's ..can be a best friend as well as a great partner in life..never mind in the workforce..Females, who prove themselves in the workplace..often get recognized FIRST by males who have such a background..

So..Bottomline..Turn OFF..NO...But Intimidating Yes..depending of the male's life experience from birth to adulthood

Old 03-10-2016, 04:46 PM

11,797 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:

But you're 27 and have to start at entry level and work your way up. No one would expect you to be at the top at your age because you require time and experience to get where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships