Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 09:03 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times

Advertisements

Most of us have had significant others - potential, committed, or otherwise - break off relationships. In the past, I've heard the following excuses:

I'm not ready for a relationship now.

Am I gonna lose you too?

I'm too fragile.

I want to protect my heart.

I'm not ready to share again.

I don't want to lose myself.

After hearing such, one would wonder. Say you've been with someone for a brief time. You met, there was chemistry, you've hooked up, slept together, etc. Then one day, BAM! She (or he, if you're a female) told you one of the above. Is it real, or just a cop-out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:07 PM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
While it typically sounds like it's BS whenever someone lays one of those turds on you there are times when they can be legit

Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
I am not looking for long term and I let the people I date know this from pretty much the get go. That is before we have sex or before the chemistry kicks in. If I decide that it's not working out ... I tell them. It wouldn't be fair to string someone along who might be looking for a one on one when its pretty much the last thing on my mind.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:25 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Unsure, if any excuse is ever legit, but one thing is for certain- that person doesn't want to be with you. I usually don't put too much thought into it, and simply move on.

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
It's just strategic-tactical Level IV statements caused by hypergamy based intentions.

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am not looking for long term and I let the people I date know this from pretty much the get go. That is before we have sex or before the chemistry kicks in. If I decide that it's not working out ... I tell them. It wouldn't be fair to string someone along who might be looking for a one on one when its pretty much the last thing on my mind.
Just curious, not judgmental, but: then why even date? If there's chemistry then obviously you'd want that person around until...whenever the chemistry is no more. That could be months, years, however long.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:29 PM

366 posts, read 433,179 times
Or the Seinfeld classic..."It's not you, it's me".

My experience unfortunately has been if someone is feeding someone these lines

1. They got what they wanted from you (usually sex), and are moving on to the next one.

2. You were a rebound, and they're still in love with an ex. This is approximately 50% of people on dating websites.

3. They found something about you that was an absolute deal breaker..which you'll never find out what...and are not close enough with you to be straight forward, so they take the easy way out.

4. They weren't on the rebound but someone else came along.

5. They are a serial monogomist, and after your novelty wore off..They were ready to move on. Like a kid with a shiny new bike or video game. It's awesome in the beginning but after a while..they grow bored and need the newest gadget. This one is possibly the most heinous and mind twisting relationship to be in if it went on for more than 2 years.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Just curious, not judgmental, but: then why even date? If there's chemistry then obviously you'd want that person around until...whenever the chemistry is no more. That could be months, years, however long.

Are you saying that because I am not looking for long term I shouldn't date? I've dated guys whom I've had chemistry with... Doesn't mean I want to settle down with them or even be in a one on one. I have other priorities at present. I date for fun and as I said I am careful to let the other person know up front so that they can decide whether or not they want to date me for fun or move on.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
It's just strategic-tactical Level IV statements caused by hypergamy based intentions.

Bottoms up!

Old 03-01-2016, 09:42 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Are you saying that because I am not looking for long term I shouldn't date? I've dated guys whom I've had chemistry with... Doesn't mean I want to settle down with them or even be in a one on one. I have other priorities at present. I date for fun and as I said I am careful to let the other person know up front so that they can decide whether or not they want to date me for fun or move on.
When you say 'fun', do you mean only sex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships