Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,058 times

Advertisements

I was emotionally abused by my Father and my last ex boyfriend. Basically you will know it when it arrives. It sometimes is quite complex. I experienced it as being told I was too stupid all the time. I was constantly being accused by my ex for cheating, called a *****, screamed at with choice words. Another aspect of ea is often passive aggressive. Forgetting Valentines' Day, becoming extremely uncommunicative, calling you names regarding things done in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:27 AM

550 posts, read 1,215,249 times
Is forgetting valentines day really that big of a deal? I usually forget my own birthdays and stuff...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:34 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,869,130 times
Default What is emotional abuse?

I would say that this guy likes to put on a show in front of other people then when he gets alone with his wife maybe he doesn't attack her physical appearance but he is sure playing games with her head. What a nut case! Yes, he is abusing her and she should not play his stupid games. This would annoy me more than anything else and I think I would refuse to go with him and let him know why. It is all about control no matter how you catagorize the abuse the abuser is looking to control. This guy is definitely trying to get some sort of control over his wife. She just should not PLAY his dumb game.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:47 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
Is forgetting valentines day really that big of a deal? I usually forget my own birthdays and stuff...
Yes I am sorry to say forgetting Valentines day is a very big deal if you are in a relationship and say you love the person. That is just the way it is. It shows a lack of consideration and caring, not to mention most women love the romance of it. I would advise not to forget it! Your birthday is one thing, but not hers or Valentines day. You have to be a dog to not remember it.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
I'm with you on this...hell,I forgot MY birthday this year AND my anniversary....I guess I'm an abuser in eyes of some for this tho'.

Last edited by Swampmonster; 02-26-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,042,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangie View Post
Anything with "abuse" in the title sounds so severe, but I have been reading about it because someone close to me seems to fit some of the symptoms of being emotionally abused.

She has brought up the phrase because of the reading she's done and also her therapist has mentioned that may be it.

Her husband is generally a nice guy, doesn't try to isolate her from friends/family (in fact, seems to encourage her to be with us), nor does he call her mean names, rather, he is very complimentary to her and about her in front of others, anyway, and she says he is that way when they're together.

What he does do, she says, is "tests" her a lot. As in doesn't talk and then gets mad when she doesn't talk and then says he was testing her to see how long she would go without saying anything (like on a car ride or something).

Or he also gets mad about things that neither she nor I understand and then insist she apologize and say things like "should I treat you the way you treat me." As in, he thinks she treats him badly.

I don't know. I want to be supportive of her and I do think he's not someone I would really want to be with, but I just wonder if "emotional abuse" is really the name for this.

Interested to hear what others think.

It's really hard to prescribe something for you from a short post on CD but from what I have read it sounds like he is playing mind games with her for whatever reason. Either way she needs to dump a guy like that..

Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 18,028 times
He sounds like a child playing a game.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:50 PM

7 posts, read 18,028 times
If he doesn't take the car ride seriously, he doesn't take her seriously.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
And you're missing my point. To me, the concepts of 'relationship' and 'jumping in and out of' are mutually exclusive.
You're certainly missing creme's point. What she meant was there are people who move from one relationship to another (even if they're monogamous and exclusive) without taking any time to heal and to reflect and/or analyze them; thus, repeating the same mistakes over and over. And yes, they are the people who are afraid to be alone. And they're afraid to be alone because they're haunted by their demons they don't want to deal with and use relationships as Band Aid to take them through life without having to face their own problems and shortcomings.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:56 PM

525 posts, read 948,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
sounds like he's being passive-aggressive

Yup, passive aggressive... not emotional abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships