Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 PM

454 posts, read 311,363 times

Advertisements

There are many ways that your SO may contribute to your marriage that aren't financial. If he works full-time, contributes equitably around the house, and is a good friend and lover, then I think you should cut him some slack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:24 PM

37,647 posts, read 46,061,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I knew his salary and hear bare bone life when I married him. I knew what I signed up for. My thought process then & even now is, as long as I have my income it doesn't matter what he makes. Thru the last 2 years we kept our finance separate. We both pitch in on house hold expense without an issue. Typically I don't think about his income or even know about it.

But then tax season comes and we file jointly & I can't help but look at his income and ever year its the same reaction

Question to the ladies who make significantly more than your husband: How do you manage your emotion regarding the difference? As I said, we don't have any financial issue so far but time to time emotional complication shows up that I push back. but it creeps out.

• Like tax season when I see our income side by side & I feel uneasy. I am sure he does too
  • Like when we disagree on big purchase (car or house), he wants something expensive nothing but the best vs. I think we should get something average or slightly below average. Then in back of my mind I am thinking "dude your broke, you can't even afford average, forget cream of the crop. If I want expensive things it makes sense." Then I realize how wrong this thought is and push it back. I never voiced it. This is the first place I am acknowledging it
I don't know exactly how much my BF makes, and I don't want to. I know it's much less than me...but that's as much as I want to know.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,733,534 times
Default Very different when married ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't know exactly how much my BF makes, and I don't want to. I know it's much less than me...but that's as much as I want to know.
It is different when you are married especially because you file taxes together. My husband always get mad because he will never really get a tax break because of me lol. Making more money does not make you the more important person in a relationship in reality. I think the person making more needs to be cautious and things can change and what goes around might come around. If I am shopping with my husband I often do pay because I really do make more money and if it was the other way around I would be upset. Great thread I just talked myself in to being a lot less selfish lol ��.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:58 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
Long term relationships where the woman makes more than the man have a higher rate of failure.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
This is about me and my feeling and less about my husband. This thread is about seeking advice on how to deal with my emotional uneasiness rather than deal with his income.
I suspect that this is less about his income, and more about his personality. It sounds like he could be weak and indecisive, make poor decisions, and might generally be not-that-impressive of a man. As a man it's one thing to have low-income and live some kind of bad-ass lifestyle and great personality, it's another to have low-income and sit on the couch all day.

I'm willing to bet that the question that's in your subconscious mind, is : "Can I do better than this guy?" And that is an emotionally charged and difficult question to ask , much less answer.

Last edited by le roi; 04-16-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Reverse the situation: If you were a man, you probably wouldn't care if your wife made a lot less than you did. Somewhere along the line, you learned to equate earnings with masculinity and the male role in a hetero relationship. That's old-school sexism rearing its ugly head. You need to find a way to get rid of that.
I take the opposite view.

It isn't "Old school sexism" when a woman wants a more powerful, more competent partner. It is standard sexuality. It isn't even limited to humans, it is the norm across the animal world.

And a woman being told, or pressured, to ignore her human instincts in favor of political correctness ought to be sufficient to cause the "emotional uneasiness" the OP is dealing with.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,733,534 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I take the opposite view.

It isn't "Old school sexism" when a woman wants a more powerful, more competent partner. It is standard sexuality. It isn't even limited to humans, it is the norm across the animal world.

And a woman being told, or pressured, to ignore her human instincts in favor of political correctness ought to be sufficient to cause the "emotional uneasiness" the OP is dealing with.
That is do not true. There is no basis for this arguement from a biological stance especially in talking about the entire animal kingdom. Re the stats and failure rates the world is always changing and stats don't always reflect how things are right now if viewed years later or will be tomorrow. If people only do or not do things based in stats nothing in the world would ever change or progress ex evolution .... People and animals adapt to changes to their environment or they become exstinct !

Old 04-16-2016, 10:53 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,120,499 times
What? No one mentioned the "H" word yet... I need a shot.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:59 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,376,709 times
Hypergamy.

There, I said it.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That is do not true.
Do what, now?

Quote:
There is no basis for this arguement from a biological stance especially in talking about the entire animal kingdom.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual...ion_in_mammals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships