Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,438 times

Advertisements

We've come a long way as a society and I see that interracial relationship are more accepted today. Its about time. I'm white and I've dated both inside and outside my race. Being from the south I have to say that dating outside my race was a hard experience and one that I didn't expect. I dated a black man in college several years ago and we didn't work out mainly because of pressure from the families. I actually lost 2 very good black female friends at the time when I started dating him. I was prepared to deal with the hostility from fellow whites but the reverse racism was a shocker for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:45 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
We've come a long way as a society and I see that interracial relationship are more accepted today. Its about time. I'm white and I've dated both inside and outside my race. Being from the south I have to say that dating outside my race was a hard experience and one that I didn't expect. I dated a black man in college several years ago and we didn't work out mainly because of pressure from the families. I actually lost 2 very good black female friends at the time when I started dating him. I was prepared to deal with the hostility from fellow whites but the reverse racism was a shocker for me.
Yea, my cousin lives in the South and he has a white girlfriend. Now, I can feel that most people there would have an issue with it. Which is why I'm so happy I live in the L.A. area. California is very tolerant. You can see a black male/white female couple walking by and people would barely blink an eye. Out here, its normal as it is with same-race relationships.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:56 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times
I tend toward the guy who's culture I'm into at the moment. I started dating black guys back in 1987 when I moved to another city to attend college. All the white guys were very suburban and not at all what I was used to from the city, where I had hung out with a very rough crowd, and we listened to the newly emerging hip hop. Back then no white person (except me) would listen to rap and the white people would dislike my taste in music and think it (and I) was out there. When I switched to hanging out with the black people who were actually from the city, I felt more back in my city element. However, the last black guy I ever dated finally told me he'd never marry a white woman cuz he as a successful black man would be a sell out.

So I got into a bit of a "white phase" where I was dating officey types and going to the Hamptons on weekends. But after never really experiencing much chemistry for any of these guys, to the point of being celebete for about a year and a half, I met this puerto rican guy in a bar and that was that. Puerto Rican and Dominican all the way--but only Caribbean Spanish. People often lump latinos into one category when really the Spanish Caribbean cultures are of very different origins than say Mexican or South Americans, and hence look and act totally different.

I have never had much of a problem with the interracial dating, or I dont pay it any mind so I never noticed much flack. Though back in the late 80's there was this militant college black type that found interracial dating quite offensive. Puerto Ricans treat me really well and my race is never an issue. My white friends are quite accepting of my tastes too, as are my parents (my dad is married to an asian woman himself).

Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
I tend toward the guy who's culture I'm into at the moment. I started dating black guys back in 1987 when I moved to another city to attend college. All the white guys were very suburban and not at all what I was used to from the city, where I had hung out with a very rough crowd, and we listened to the newly emerging hip hop. Back then no white person (except me) would listen to rap and the white people would dislike my taste in music and think it (and I) was out there. When I switched to hanging out with the black people who were actually from the city, I felt more back in my city element. However, the last black guy I ever dated finally told me he'd never marry a white woman cuz he as a successful black man would be a sell out.

So I got into a bit of a "white phase" where I was dating officey types and going to the Hamptons on weekends. But after never really experiencing much chemistry for any of these guys, to the point of being celebete for about a year and a half, I met this puerto rican guy in a bar and that was that. Puerto Rican and Dominican all the way--but only Caribbean Spanish. People often lump latinos into one category when really the Spanish Caribbean cultures are of very different origins than say Mexican or South Americans, and hence look and act totally different.

I have never had much of a problem with the interracial dating, or I dont pay it any mind so I never noticed much flack. Though back in the late 80's there was this militant college black type that found interracial dating quite offensive. Puerto Ricans treat me really well and my race is never an issue. My white friends are quite accepting of my tastes too, as are my parents (my dad is married to an asian woman himself).
As a black person, I don't think successful people who date/marry interracially are sell-outs. They have a better chance of dating interracially than people who doesn't have anything good going for his self. I could be wrong.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Like are black guy/white girl relationships (which I like) heavily increasing?

Are there any white girls who finds black guys attractive?

Now, I've never been in an interracial relationship before, but I find it interesting.

Are there anyone on the forum who's interracially dating/married?
Obviuosly there are white girls interested in black guys, it's increasing!

I've dated black girls. Was in a pretty long term relationship for me(lol 4 months)

Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Obviuosly there are white girls interested in black guys, it's increasing!

I've dated black girls. Was in a pretty long term relationship for me(lol 4 months)
More power to ya. I've gotten some air and I saw a lot of black male/white female relationships, which make me glad that I live on the West Coast.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,228 times
Default Interracial Dating

My $0.02. I think it's so sad that this country is advancing faster technologically and scientifically than it is socially. I say who cares what race someone is, if you're attracted to them, go for it. If you're family or friends don't like then apparently they don't love you because all they should really care about is if you're happy or not. My mother always told me that if I was going to date outside my race then at least do it with someone who had enough going for them to where it left no doubt why I liked them. The only problem I have with interracial dating is that people seem to either lower their standards when dating someone outside their ethnicity or they're so not used to dealing with people of other races that they don't know what is considered attractive and acceptable behavior for that person's ethnicity group. I see so many attractive Black men who have their stuff together with what can only be described as fat and/or trashy White women or attractive White women with ghetto wannabe thuggish Black men. I know there are other races, but when people think of interracial dating they automatically think of Black people dating White people because those are the predominate two races in this country I guess. I know it's none of business but COME ON PEOPLE! A husband being abusive towards his wife physically and or emotionally is none of my business either, but that doesn't mean it still can't bother me. It's crazy that still today in this country we're so divided by skin color socially that most people in America have no clue of any culture outside their own. If you look up in any scientific reference, all people regardless of nationality are of the same species. We're all just humans despite our skin color, but it seems like the citizens of this country are determined to remain divided by race no matter what. Yes I know my post may sound a bit harsh, but I sincerely tried to expressed my thoughts in as an amicable way as possible. Unfortunately there's no nice way to point out ignorance, but thank you for reading it just the same. Oh and Merry Christmas. lol

Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,483,767 times
Default Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1000 View Post
Black Women cannot keep their hands off of me, They Love Me!
I know what you mean. Black women can't keep their hands off me, neither. One took a look at me, fell in love, then divorced me when she got to know me. Then another one fell for me a month after the divorce was final and married me 3 months later. I'd like to think it's because I resemble an albino Mike Jordan (bald, tall, goutee, big mouth). I'm trying hard to not let her see the real me so as a result we're still married. I think black women are great!

Last edited by mrstewart; 03-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-16-2009, 03:37 AM

23 posts, read 81,611 times
70 percent of applicants tell Match.com, a leading Internet dating service, that they're willing to date someone of another race. Only three decades ago, minorities were able to date each other, but in some states it was actually illegal to marry somene of a different race. Anyone who studies Sociology will tell you that cultural backgrounds, not actual race, is the biggest difference but the most educated people (College Graduates with a degree) don't seem to have any problems like that. Go figure. Racists who preach division and bigotry hide behind religion, musical preferences, false legallity accusations, patriotism, etc. to hide who they really are. For a long time some churches didn't allow minorities in their congregation. They realised they were missing out on tax free money and being observed for who they really were and changed the rules. Now the elders of some of those original racist organisations still find other ways to disclude people of color from joining the actual membership of the specific chapel that they attend. Some of the most solid American institutions have changed. Look up what the word Steveadore meant in the U.S. Navy. We have come a long way but we still have a long way to go to completely get over it. I think sometimes that some people will have to eventually die of old age before their hate will stop regenerating. That is wishful thinking on my part, because racial innitiation of certain groups such as the K.K.K. will always keep hatred alive. They aren't the strong movement that they were at one time in history. In the U.S. I would imagine they could get charged with the RICO act and terrorism for acting the way they used to.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
i far prefer dating across races....much more excitement and attraction for me.
I agree. It's the unfamiliar nature that makes it oh so very exciting.

I'm just not sexually excited as much with brothers as when I am with white guys. Me and my boyfriend basically cannot keep our hands off each other when we are together. When we are out, it's like we are almost rushing to get back to the privacy of our home so that we are free to do whatever we like to each other. We try not to do much PDA though, as I think most people find it gross when it's an interracial couple? Or is it just me? Dunno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships