Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Stuff already being booked is a really poor rationale for going forward with a wedding you're not ready for.

"So, if you were so unhappy, why'd you get married?"

"Well, it seemed like a bad idea, on one hand, but on the other, the deposit on the catering was non-refundable, so..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 03:30 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I think we can do two options. I think we can shift the wedding event. If we loose our deposit I be willing to pay for it or pay the MIL back the $3,000. I think the DJ and everything else can easily change the date.
That's a good idea. If you negotiate well, you might not lose the deposit.

I would just tell the guests that you two are too tied up in work/school to prepare for a wedding.

In the meantime, work out your issues. Maybe you should be a bit more communicative with her in general.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
We actually opened up a lot yesterday. Think the stress is killing me from that having headaches non stop, ha. It was a great relief to open up though. I don't know if much was resolved. Fiancée appears accepting of waiting to have a child, but feel she doesn't want to due to her statement "you won." Saying after 34 I won't have anymore kids, this is my body, and it won't be my fault if I don't have children.

Then the honeymoon agreeable to 10 days but not less. Won't agree on the budget.

I talked about the family and holidays, but that kind of was swept under the rug.

Then the agree to disagree didn't feel resolved. The new issue with arguments where we don't appear to agree on how to handle an argument.

Still appears to be tension and conversations are forced.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:41 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
We actually opened up a lot yesterday. Think the stress is killing me from that having headaches non stop, ha. It was a great relief to open up though. I don't know if much was resolved. Fiancée appears accepting of waiting to have a child, but feel she doesn't want to due to her statement "you won." Saying after 34 I won't have anymore kids, this is my body, and it won't be my fault if I don't have children. She gotta grow up - what does the counselor say about those dumb statements?

Then the honeymoon agreeable to 10 days but not less. Won't agree on the budget. Let her come up with the additional money you need for the longer trip. You are not a cash cow. I really hope she is generally reasonable with money? So far she sounds like a spoiled brat to me

I talked about the family and holidays, but that kind of was swept under the rug. is that really such a huge issue?

Then the agree to disagree didn't feel resolved. The new issue with arguments where we don't appear to agree on how to handle an argument.

Still appears to be tension and conversations are forced. keep working on it

Old 06-15-2016, 03:50 PM

The money for the honeymoon will come from the wedding. For me renting a place for a week in SC down in the Islands there be inexpensive and romantic. When we are done with school can go on our 2 year anniversary trip maybe longer to the Caribbeans like 2 week's ay Sandals. Then a 5 or in 10 years a trip to Europe.

I like to balance holidays out as best I can. I think it's more of a control thing.

Just trying to talk like I said is tough. Just say hi, how's your day going, love you.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:53 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
I am in need of some feedback. I finally opened up to my fiancée that I feel there are issues going on that we need to work on and address. Fiancée agreed to meet with the Deacon, but feels there is no issues going on.

This however, has open the flood gates, which I am glad because it's important if both of us want to continue this relationship.

We talked about how we haven't talked much and touched base on how I feel arguments are one sided.

Not sure how to respond to my fiancée on this:

Yes but im part of your life too. And i should be a big part of it. Not an after thought.
Im not a chore or something on a to do list
I should be a priority because we are in a relationship. Im not just a friend you see occasionally.
And thats how i feel most if the time. That when you get done with everything else that is more important than this relationship ill hear from you. Its not fair.
A complete after thought i am.
Im not important at all.
I dont feel like a girlfriend or soon to be wife. Most of the time i feel like a back burner.

Fiancée continued saying it's been a year like this and I don't think it will ever change.

Not sure how to respond and questioning my own actions.
Staying single is cheap, and it always works. Just sayin'.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:55 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
We actually opened up a lot yesterday. Think the stress is killing me from that having headaches non stop, ha. It was a great relief to open up though. I don't know if much was resolved. Fiancée appears accepting of waiting to have a child, but feel she doesn't want to due to her statement "you won." Saying after 34 I won't have anymore kids, this is my body, and it won't be my fault if I don't have children.
It is a legitimate concern. You might not be all that upset if when the two of you eventually get around to baby making that it can't happen, but it appears that she would be. I'm not blaming you. If a family was important she shouldn't now be over 30 with no clear path towards parenthood. But you do realize that you have put yourself in-between her and her motherhood imperative right? At least she is being upfront with you.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
The money for the honeymoon will come from the wedding. For me renting a place for a week in SC down in the Islands there be inexpensive and romantic. When we are done with school can go on our 2 year anniversary trip maybe longer to the Caribbeans like 2 week's ay Sandals. Then a 5 or in 10 years a trip to Europe.

I like to balance holidays out as best I can. I think it's more of a control thing.

Just trying to talk like I said is tough. Just say hi, how's your day going, love you.
You are quite the optimist, just saying. 10 years?

Old 06-15-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
It is a legitimate concern. You might not be all that upset if when the two of you eventually get around to baby making that it can't happen, but it appears that she would be. I'm not blaming you. If a family was important she shouldn't now be over 30 with no clear path towards parenthood. But you do realize that you have put yourself in-between her and her motherhood imperative right? At least she is being upfront with you.
Can always adopt, but no it won't be the same for her. I just can't focus on anything but this. I feel like we've grown farther apart and when we're together were merely friends. We differ on so many ideas.

Old 06-15-2016, 04:17 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
1. A deacon is not a pastor.

2. Many church employees, particularly those who work with families, do have counseling credentials. My master's in counseling psych is from a Catholic university and many degree candidates are employed by churches. It is very helpful for people who seek careers in spiritual mentoring to have a background and certification in counseling and therapy.
OP is not saying that the deacon who is counseling them is as qualified as you. Maybe yes, maybe no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships