Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:50 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedandconfused222 View Post
BF and I live together for 3 years. We were planning on taking a week off soon to Colorado. I've never been and he knows how much I wanna see the mountains and towns like Aspen and Vail, etc.

He wanted to do a lot of activities during the trip: cycling; rafting, hiking, etc. I thought the plan was that we were gonna stay at a hotel and do these activities during the day, and then have the night to relax, have a nice dinner, etc.

Today, 2 weeks b/f we were supposed to go, he tells me what he had planned was a cycling trip. We would fly there, rent a bike for a week, only take ONE backpack and cycle the whole day while staying in hotels at night to sleep.

This is very much out of my comfort zone. I only learned how to ride a bike a few weeks ago (he taught me) and the idea of doing a week-long, high altitude mountains trip scares me. I'm not an experienced rider at all (we'll be riding a tandem). Moreover, I have school work for online classes and not being able to take my laptop concerns me.

I also want to add that I'm very very scared of flying because I was in a small flight accident as a child. He knows this and wants to make the experience more difficult for me by booking 5 flights total. I can overlook that, but still...

The most upsetting thing of all is my job. I recently started a new part-time job. It is not exactly in my field, but I'm enjoying it and I'm saving money for tuition. B/c he was very insistent on traveling in July I asked my boss if it was ok for me to take the week off. I felt very uneasy about doing that, given how little I've been there, but he said it was fine. So that will be 5 full days where I won't be there - days I won't get paid obviously.
Now he asked me to take an EXTRA DAY off, so that we could leave Friday earlier b/c the prices are cheaper for the flights. I told him I don't feel comfortable doing that and he says "it's just a part time job, it's not a big deal". I also told him that me going on this trip w/ him means I will be losing money I could be making at work. He, on the other hand, has a paid vacation so maybe he just doesn't get it.

When I explain to him that I don't get paid if I don't show up to work, he says that he could also be saving money by not taking me. He will be paying for 100% of the trip. I did offer to contribute, but he insisted for me not to. Most trips he does cover it full, so that I can afford to contribute to our living expenses.
I don't think it's fair that just b/c he's paying for the trip my job is no longer important. He invited me for this trip, I never asked to go or suggested it...He's not willing to compromise to try to make the trip more enjoyable for me also.

Frankly, after this, I'm starting to think the option of staying home working and making money, avoiding flying, is more appealing. Should I stay home after all of this or am I overreacting?
Tell him exactly what you are telling us. He's the one who needs to know what you are thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 03:07 PM

302 posts, read 230,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't see the problem. You inform him that you will get a car at the airport and he can tell you where he will be that night and you meet him at the hotel. if he has never ridden a bike in Colorado, I suspect he will change his mind about the bike ride after the first day when you have to drive out to pick him up.

In the meantime, you drive and go sight seeing and meet him for dinner and the overnight stay.

There is absolutely no excuse to whine or to get passive aggressive. Just calmly inform him that you have decided that is the best way for you to enjoy the vacation; that you want to enjoy your vacation with him but that you know you can not do the long bicycle ride and therefore you will not ride the bicycle.

And get yourself into therapy or get some tranquilizers or whatever it takes for you to get control over the flying issue. Fear of flying basically cripples you and limits where you can go. It's your life, manage it so that you can enjoy it.
Great post and idea!

Old 06-24-2016, 03:19 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
This is a dangerous trip. I lived in CO for 3 years. The altitude is no joke. I wouldn't go. I would stay home and rethink my relationship.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:41 PM

302 posts, read 230,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
This is a dangerous trip. I lived in CO for 3 years. The altitude is no joke. I wouldn't go. I would stay home and rethink my relationship.
He is putting his interest above her safety and employment. And then puts the claim he paid for it. **** yes you better have, it is your trip and she is a side piece.

Please don't fall for this guy!

Old 06-24-2016, 03:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Super dick move.

He booked a "him" trip, not a couples trip. And he's being an ass to you, to boot.

Who in the hell would want to go cycling in the mountains with somebody who just learned how to ride a bike? And who in the hell pushes the issue of flying with somebody who's been involved in an aeronautical mishap and doesn't want to do that? And, who in the hell declines somebody financially contributing, and then throws it back in the person's face that it would be so much cheaper to just do the trip solo?

Points for you to ponder.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:51 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Not only no but hell no. I grew up cycling the rockies. It's not for the faint of heart or for those not in really great shape. You will absolutely hate it. Nothing good is going to come from this. Let him ride a day or two to get it out of his system.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:01 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
^^^^^^^ All that x 100.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:58 PM

27 posts, read 18,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yeah, if I plan a trip with husband, I'm not going to make it a 5 day shopping extravaganza with stops for pedicures and a blow out.

OP is this common behavior for your BF? Is he normally selfish, or is this something new?
EXACTLY. Great point.

He can be selfish without realizing it, yes. By the time he realizes, it's after he sees that he has upset me.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:01 PM

27 posts, read 18,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Not only no but hell no. I grew up cycling the rockies. It's not for the faint of heart or for those not in really great shape. You will absolutely hate it. Nothing good is going to come from this. Let him ride a day or two to get it out of his system.
He says he's gonna go the entire week by himself if I don't wanna join. Oh well, I can't stop him and at least I'll be home making money.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:31 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedandconfused222 View Post
He says he's gonna go the entire week by himself if I don't wanna join. Oh well, I can't stop him and at least I'll be home making money.

And not wobbling around on a bicycle trying to get enough oxygen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships