Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 10:06 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,571,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Change a tire? What about change a head gasket?!

How about a Physics degree with maximum honors? (Unfortunately just a BS, never went further, one of my few regrets in life...)

Makes his own ammo including casting bullets? Can hit a beer can at 40 yards using that ammo in a 100+ year old Luger? Fluent reader and serviceable speaker of Russian, started in his 40's?

Card carrying MENSA member and chapter officer for years?

Is that working for you?
I don't know if it works for Moongirl, but darn if it doesn't work for me! You're putting out some serious "Most Interesting Man in the World" vibes, lol. ("He can speak French...in Russian....)

Well-rounded, capable humans are hot to me, too. Norm from This Old House/The New Yankee Workshop has always been on my "hall pass" list for that reason. His carpentry skills plus the beard....rawr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 11:16 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I don't know if it works for Moongirl, but darn if it doesn't work for me! You're putting out some serious "Most Interesting Man in the World" vibes, lol. ("He can speak French...in Russian....)

Well-rounded, capable humans are hot to me, too. Norm from This Old House/The New Yankee Workshop has always been on my "hall pass" list for that reason. His carpentry skills plus the beard....rawr.
Thanks. My late Dad, who was a truly expert welder, in terms of arc (stick) and oxyacetylene, was always a big fan of Norm Abrams. He would remark "When Norm says 'this is pretty good' - that means it's dead on!"

I'm just OK on construction skills, but probably well above average on home repair stuff. If I don't need to design it from scratch, I can usually figure out why it's not working right and fix it pretty quickly. I just never got much experience in construction so I tend to "re-invent the wheel" rather than know how experience has demonstrated over the centuries is the most practical way to do it. C'est la vie.

Of course on the other hand all these hobbies and intellectual pursuits, plus a pretty serious job, still full time, mean I stay pretty busy and so don't have a lot of "fool around" time available. The job is mostly at the junction of national security and nuclear technology, so, as you might imagine, I can't talk about it much... May I assume you also prefer your martini shaken and not stirred?

And of course as I have detailed in other posts, I am 100% hard core child free, although at 63 years old I would *hope* the whole kids thing has been put to bed years ago. But idiocy does spring eternal, I guess. This was a deal-breaker for some gals earlier in life. So break the deal then, I am not down for kids.

BTW does being able to cook at least "guy food" count for something?

BTW there are a lot of borrowings back and forth between Russian and French, thanks largely to Napoleon. The word "Bistro" actually comes from the Russian word for "quickly". Although I would say Russian has more German borrowings than French, most things or ideas that came from the West came to Russia through Germany. And our pronunciation in English of "Moscow" is much closer to the German word than the original Russian "Moskva" (accent on second syllable).

Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,146,495 times
Now for me, underrated turn ons for women in no particular order:

Can drive a stick shift *well*, being a car enthusiast helps a lot. Realizing that the eponymous (E 30 of course!) M3 is not a 325i that I rather skillfully put a body kit on, but is a limited production car, fewer than 5000 were imported to the US. In general an appreciation of classic cars rather than a panting pursuit of the latest thing. Does not mind riding in my older rigs, even the ones that have seen better days.

Likes to hunt and/or fish. Just one of these is huge, if you check both boxes you are well on your way to "keeper" status.

Good with cats. Not only do you like my cats, my cats like you. Like dogs, they are excellent judges of character.

Of course these are just the non-obvious things, the obvious things still count for a lot...

Old 05-19-2021, 01:06 AM

415 posts, read 547,209 times
Quote:
Thanks. My late Dad, who was a truly expert welder, in terms of arc (stick) and oxyacetylene, was always a big fan of Norm Abrams. He would remark "When Norm says 'this is pretty good' - that means it's dead on!"

I'm just OK on construction skills, but probably well above average on home repair stuff. If I don't need to design it from scratch, I can usually figure out why it's not working right and fix it pretty quickly. I just never got much experience in construction so I tend to "re-invent the wheel" rather than know how experience has demonstrated over the centuries is the most practical way to do it. C'est la vie.

Of course on the other hand all these hobbies and intellectual pursuits, plus a pretty serious job, still full time, mean I stay pretty busy and so don't have a lot of "fool around" time available. The job is mostly at the junction of national security and nuclear technology, so, as you might imagine, I can't talk about it much... May I assume you also prefer your martini shaken and not stirred?

And of course as I have detailed in other posts, I am 100% hard core child free, although at 63 years old I would *hope* the whole kids thing has been put to bed years ago. But idiocy does spring eternal, I guess. This was a deal-breaker for some gals earlier in life. So break the deal then, I am not down for kids.

BTW there are a lot of borrowings back and forth between Russian and French, thanks largely to Napoleon. The word "Bistro" actually comes from the Russian word for "quickly". Although I would say Russian has more German borrowings than French, most things or ideas that came from the West came to Russia through Germany. And our pronunciation in English of "Moscow" is much closer to the German word than the original Russian "Moskva" (accent on second syllable).
The reason this stuff ends up being important to women like me is a lot of this type of home repair/ auto repair stuff are things that we physically just can't do. My dad would change the oil in the car and do other auto repairs and I would go out and watch him and so I have some idea of how things should work in a car, because my dad actually took the time to explain how stuff on a car works to me. Thanks dad! But when it comes to some of these bolts in a car, I just physically don't have the upper body strength to loosen them. Which is why I still end up having to hire someone else to do it for me. For home repairs, I read up online and watched the You Tube videos on how to replace my toilet. But when I bought the toilet to try to take home, I had to get a guy to put it into my car because I physically couldn't lift the box with toilet to get it into my car. When I tried to take it out of the box, when I got home, I had to disassemble the reservoir from the rest of of the bowl in my car because I physically just couldn't lift the two pieces together as a guy could. What I realized is that a lot of these home repair tasks are really set up for someone who has the strength of an average man and I just wasn't that strong. Now some guys have zero mechanical aptitude but I do tend to look for guys who are at a minimum better than me at these things.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 AM

535 posts, read 612,175 times
(very long) hair
Shoulder is short for me, mid-back is average so I am talking butt and longer, even down to the knees.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,360,387 times
Quote:
Change a tire? What about change a head gasket?!

How about a Physics degree with maximum honors? (Unfortunately just a BS, never went further, one of my few regrets in life...)

Makes his own ammo including casting bullets? Can hit a beer can at 40 yards using that ammo in a 100+ year old Luger? Fluent reader and serviceable speaker of Russian, started in his 40's?

Card carrying MENSA member and chapter officer for years?

Is that working for you?
Bragging about yourself, on the other hand...

Not so much.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:03 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,250,081 times
Another fan of glasses on men, even readers!

Nice hands with long fingers

A soft hand on the small of my back... makes me melt every time.

Old 05-19-2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:

Actually, the use of the French language in Russian goes back a bit further than Napoleon to Peter the Great who wished to "modernize" the Russian court and was a huge fan-boy of Louis the Fourteenth, a.k.a. the Sun King. French long being the language of diplomacy since it was spoken near universally by the educated and upper classes (a vestige of this is the French used on/in American passports) and it being Peter's wish that members of his family marry into the Western European aristocracy, it made sense that French became the language of choice in the modernizing Russia of his reign. (Part of my paternal ancestry is from near the Black Sea and I was a French major in college, so I read/have read more than I should about such things, lol). But I digress....

My dad taught me a fair bit about how to do things (minor car care, house maintenance, gardening, etc.) and growing up, my next door neighbor restored vintage cars as a sideline (mostly Packards and Chevrolets from the late '20s through the late 40s), so I got the hook for such things early on. I don't think that I've ever dated a man who was helpless in the face of needing to repair or make something work, but then again, I very much do have a type when it comes to such things. That and I honestly think that my generation (X) and older are the last generations that were taught how to do things like that as a matter of course--either through school or through older adults in their lives.

My stick skills are middling, but I did seriously consider one when I bought my Mazda hatch three years ago to the point of test driving a few cars with a manual transmission. I didn't pull the trigger on one largely because even with hill assist, I don't like being on some of these Pittsburgh hills with some other idiot riding my tail at the top of a hill. These days, I indulge my love of cars by living vicariously through Mr. Regular of Regular Car Reviews. If I were a rich woman, I'd have a garage filled with every car that I've ever driven plus a new Miata (manual because it would be a "fun" car) in the same gorgeous color as my hatch.

Martini can be shaken *or* stirred--just don't make it dirty (olives belong on the side only; twist goes in the glass) and don't make it some sort of girly 'tini.

The kids thing was a deal breaker for me in my younger years as I did want to start a family of my own, but as that was a topic that was brought up from the beginning, it never became a deal breaker as those men tended to self-select themselves out of the running if it was looking like things might become serious. For casual relationships, it was never a deal breaker. Now that I'm older and not looking to throw a Hail Mary shot in regards to late-in-life parenthood, it's a non-issue. My partner has older children and I enjoy them (looking forward to teaching his younger child to drive in the near future, as a matter of fact), so that's enough for me.

Oh--cooking even just the basics is more than fine. Sometimes, even a simple soup and sandwich or breakfast is plenty to get me going, lol.

I like a man who can help me with things around the house--not so much to do them for me, but to lend an extra hand or a second opinion here and there. I'm pretty handy myself (thanks Dad, Mom, and childhood neighbors!), but there are times when some assistance is nice to have.

Animals are cool with cats being better than dogs, although a well-trained pooch is a joy to be around and can turn me into a dog person in short order.

Camping is fun, fishing better, hunting I'm only good with once the carcass arrives and needs to be broken down into various cuts. (I like butchery once the gross part of field stripping is done.) There are few things better than fresh fish rolled in cornmeal and fried in a cast iron pan over a camp fire for breakfast.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Another fan of glasses on men, even readers!

Nice hands with long fingers

A soft hand on the small of my back... makes me melt every time.
Oooh. That hand on the small of the back can go either way. If things are going well on a date, that's the touch that lets me know if there's chemistry or not. At other times, it can come across as a bit possessive and I don't like that.

A gentle touch on the inside of my wrist will do it, too.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
I am reminded that I consider it....maybe not a "turn on" exactly, but definitely points in a man's favor, if he actually likes cats. I get that some folks are allergic, that's different, but those who don't understand how to interact with cats, and especially anyone who loudly declaims their "dog person" status and/or says that they hate cats, I won't want to be too close to.

One of many little pings of, "yeah, I think you're the one for me!" that my husband got going for him in the early days, was when he first visited my home and met Nimbus and he said, "I speak cat."

And hey, Formerly Known As Twenty, regarding being Gen X and fixing stuff, you know what drives me slightly crazy? As someone who saw the internet become what it is, and lived without it, I really appreciate being able to use it to figure stuff out. Not sure how long to cook something basic? Google it. Can't figure out where they hid the battery in a PT Cruiser's engine compartment (that happened to me once)...to the internets! But my sons, who grew up with the internet always there, often don't even THINK to use it to get answers sometimes. They're just like, "I don't know how to do that." /sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships