Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,297 times

Advertisements

This question is mainly for the women here, but men are free to answer, especially if you feel the same way as me. My question is this. Do you find a lack of ambition to be a big turnoff?

I have a steady job that's respectable and I make a very comfortable income. Normally, someone with my years of experience in my field would be further up the ladder in a managerial type role. But I've never aspired to be in a position of leadership. I'm quite content doing the job I have. Like I said, it pays well and leaves me a lot of free time to pursue other interests. Although I don't have any real passion for it, it suits my needs and current goals. But I wonder if that lack of drive hurts me in the dating market. There are days I wish I were more of a Type A person who's ambitious and working hard to move up the ranks. Maybe if I made less money, I'd have that motivation. But I can't force myself to be something I'm not. If a guy is content with what he has, I would think that would be a plus. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 02:25 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Depends on why you care what others may think?

If you are asking that for yourself, then the answer is no, you are not wrong. 'To thine own self be true', yadda, yadda.

If you are asking in the context of meeting and dating for the opportunity to find a mate, you are going to find the answer to be an emphatic 'YES'!*

Think of it from a female perspective. Not many of them are invading houses, looking in basements for potential life mates who are only driven to be the next Playstation/XBox hero.

*the caveat here is if the OP is able to find another person with a similar outlook on life.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:27 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This question is mainly for the women here, but men are free to answer, especially if you feel the same way as me. My question is this. Do you find a lack of ambition to be a big turnoff?

I have a steady job that's respectable and I make a very comfortable income. Normally, someone with my years of experience in my field would be further up the ladder in a managerial type role. But I've never aspired to be in a position of leadership. I'm quite content doing the job I have. Like I said, it pays well and leaves me a lot of free time to pursue other interests. Although I don't have any real passion for it, it suits my needs and current goals. But I wonder if that lack of drive hurts me in the dating market. There are days I wish I were more of a Type A person who's ambitious and working hard to move up the ranks. Maybe if I made less money, I'd have that motivation. But I can't force myself to be something I'm not. If a guy is content with what he has, I would think that would be a plus. Am I wrong?
Sorry as a bloke ( lol ) I like her to have ambition or a goal of course as it shows drive, but I'm more turned off if it's not a realistic ambition or goal .... Basically something that's not realistically going to happen

Personally for me your situation sounds ideal to date as you are, as you have a good and steady job ( it sounds ) and above all you have lots of free time to spend either with me or doing whatever else you fancy

As long as you can pay your way ( dating and especially when things get serious ) that's ALL that matters

Again I think you're fine

Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Personally for me your situation sounds ideal to date as you are, as you have a good and steady job ( it sounds ) and above all you have lots of free time to spend either with me or doing whatever else you fancy

Again I think you're fine
I agree with this. I don't consider not choosing the rise up the corporate ladder to be a lack of ambition. So in this case, this would not be a deal breaker for me.

Now, if you had no ambition in other aspects of your life - like you were content to do nothing other than sit and watch movies all day long, for example, that WOULD be a deal breaker for me.,

Old 06-28-2016, 03:01 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post
I agree with this. I don't consider not choosing the rise up the corporate ladder to be a lack of ambition. So in this case, this would not be a deal breaker for me.
I think there is some gray area to explore here.

If it is a matter that someone is not actively pursuing career opportunities because they are happy with the job/role they currently have, I agree with your statement.

However, if the person is being offered opportunities because management recognizes their potential and they turn those opportunities down, then I stand by my original statement.

There is that old adage about being promoted beyond one's capabilities, but to turn down opportunities handed to someone on a silver platter seems...distasteful.

I don't know if this is the case with the OP, as the context may be lacking.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGirl74 View Post

Now, if you had no ambition in other aspects of your life - like you were content to do nothing other than sit and watch movies all day long, for example, that WOULD be a deal breaker for me.,
Agreed

My job and title never ever gets mentioned negatively in terms of dating and I've had plenty of chance to move upstairs but on the deck ( or 600ft in the air lol ) with the boys is where's it's at and the £££ is actually better than sitting on my arse and getting the flack LOL..

So just proves that it's not always better or beneficial to be higher at times

Old 06-28-2016, 03:13 PM

458 posts, read 329,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

I don't think lack of ambition is limited to TYPE A people. I have always thought it was very attractive if a man wanted/could take care of me. By what you've said, you're salary is adequate. I don't see the problem. You're not uncomfortable enough to change your current situation, so maybe it's not a problem Mr. Crane.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Welcome back, OP: long time no see!

Here's how I see your situation: you have a job you're content with that more than pays the bills. You're happy with the level of income. The job allows you to have time and energy for other pursuits outside of work. In other words, you live a balanced live between work and leisure that pays you enough to live as well as save for the future.

What's not to like? You don't have to be driven in order to be viewed as attractive by women. A lot of women would love a guy who had plenty of time for weekend and after-work bonding time.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Welcome back, OP: long time no see!

Here's how I see your situation: you have a job you're content with that more than pays the bills. You're happy with the level of income. The job allows you to have time and energy for other pursuits outside of work. In other words, you live a balanced live between work and leisure that pays you enough to live as well as save for the future.

What's not to like? You don't have to be driven in order to be viewed as attractive by women. A lot of women would love a guy who had plenty of time for weekend and after-work bonding time.
Exactly the time spent together is key not the job title

Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times
Lack of ambition generally equates to a lack of direction.
It's stagnate, no momentum and no desire to change in any way other than what is managable in the moment.

It can be a very negative thing in relationships depending on who it is and what is desired from the partnership.

Circumstance and situation dictate positives and negatives, keep this in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships