Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:22 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,171,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It's interesting that you said this. I let family members fix me up on a blind date once. After weeks of them trying to persuade me, I relented and agreed to meet the lady for a Saturday lunch.

Don't get me wrong: my date was kind of cute, although she didn't have the hairstyle I find attractive, and hair is important to me. She was a pretty nice person, and knew how to carry a conversation. But when we talked about our likes and dislikes, the dialog went something like this.

MillennialUrbanist (MU): "Blah blah blah, swing and merengue"
Blind Date (BD): "Oh, I can't dance, and I don't feel comfortable learning."
MU: "Something or other, hiking."
BD: "Oh no, my feet get tired easily. I just like a quick stroll through the park."
MU: "This and that, do you like porter or stout beer?"
BD: "I don't drink."
MU: "Have you seen this movie 'In Time' when it was out? I really liked its dark, mystical tone."
BD: "It was way too fake for my tastes."
* * * * 30 minutes later * * * *
MU: "It was nice meeting you, take care." <shakes hands>
BD: "You too."

Oh well, I give my family credit to for trying, but I asked them not to fix me up on any more blind dates. Me and that lady had virtually nothing in common, except having seen a few of the same movies and both ordering chicken matza ball soup. Even if I did something wrong, it doesn't change the fact that I had nothing in common with her.

Ha, could have been worse, but that has been most of my set up dates. Nice, pleasant or even very good looking women, intelligent, educated... just no fire, no spark, nothing really in common.

I have FAAAR better luck with OKC's matching algorithm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,817,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My SIL definitely got the thumb down from my mother. Also two grandkids, and my brother being happy with over 18 years of marriage... still, thumbs down.
My brother's wives of 10 and 12 years are a mixed bag. Both my parents have had reservations about them at various times, for good reason (as have I). But, their lives. My dad's not sold on my sister's husband of four years, but my mom likes him. My husband, everyone loves. My inlaws like both their kids in law.

I think the term "husband [or wife] material" sounds corny and a bit hackneyed, but I don't really attach anything to it other than the fact that is meant to be a compliment.

Quote:
But being liked by a parent after is VERY different than having them pick you. VERY. Parents I've met have almost entirely really liked me (save on I can think of)... but again, a very different scenario.

But the OP's post is specifically about older women at work liking him (as in, finding him to have admirable traits, not being interested in him on their own behalf). Not about being picked out or set up with their daughters.

It just seemed to me like there is this aversion to being viewed as nice, because it's thought to be boring ( which definitely is not a universal; for some of us, nice is a huge draw...my husband is undeniably the kindest person I've ever known, and it's called HUGE factor in why I'm with him...he's also not boring). (Some) guys seem to be preoccupied with and resentful about this idea that "women want a 'bad boy'"(gag me...that term), 'nice' guys finish last," supposedly...but throwing a fit if women think they are nice buys into that idea as much as anything.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:44 PM

5,811 posts, read 3,916,355 times
Quote:
Ha, could have been worse, but that has been most of my set up dates. Nice, pleasant or even very good looking women, intelligent, educated... just no fire, no spark, nothing really in common.
Yeah, I'm the same way. I like intelligent people, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to dating, I'm not looking for someone who'll enlighten me. I'm looking for someone who'll excite me. By that, I don't means she has to be an S&M freak; I just want to her to live on the edge once in a while. Like go hiking just to explore the trail. Or learn a new dance together just the heck of it. Or see an outdoor concert and take selfies with the band.

Conversely, if my family were to meet my new girlfriend, I'd rather than they react "We're not 100% sure she's wife material, but we're glad she's a good fit for you", than "What a nice, wholesome lady".

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,933,010 times
Quote:
It isn't a negative.

But mom's like boring and sedate type stable people, often church going types... picture lights off missionary position dudes. "He seems like such a nice boy..."

Not the stable, fun to be with, go out and have adventure and party some, type of guys.

Generally the women I know (the cool and fun professional types) would instantly write off any guy that is suggested by a mother, sister, brother, etc. as being boring and lame. They may or may not be right, but its the reality.

As I would if my mother suggested someone (although she knows better than to do so).

The exceptions would be super cool fun moms (rare) that want to see their daughters rage some, and the 'nice' guys that can con/fool nice old ladies and still bring it (also not overly common).
Stable, secure, consistent, trust-worthy, honest, conscientious, diligent, caring, etc. might be boring and unattractive to the type of women you are attracted to, but the majority of women who are interested in healthy, intimate long term relationships are attracted to exactly those things.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:54 PM

29,803 posts, read 34,621,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I'd be petrified if someone old enough to be my mother thought I'd be a good husband. It would be a major indicator that I'm being far too nice. Just me, but I have to show some fury from time to time to make sure no one thinks I'm a soft pushover.
This seems like it says a lot about the problems you have dating. Who is the macho posturing for? The ladies? Being thought of as stable and decent is actually a good thing that many chicks dig.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-27-2016 at 02:03 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 01:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,271,661 times
Quote:
My SIL definitely got the thumb down from my mother. Also two grandkids, and my brother being happy with over 18 years of marriage... still, thumbs down
I got the thumbs down from my MIL, too. I wasn't traditional enough, too liberal, not from an approved ethnic group, and come from a family and of ill repute. She got over #4 pretty quickly, but the other three she has merely come to the point of resigned acceptance. She still doesnt know that I not religious though; there's no coming back from that admission.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Yeah, I'm the same way. I like intelligent people, don't get me wrong. But when it comes to dating, I'm not looking for someone who'll enlighten me. I'm looking for someone who'll excite me. By that, I don't means she has to be an S&M freak; I just want to her to live on the edge once in a while. Like go hiking just to explore the trail. Or learn a new dance together just the heck of it. Or see an outdoor concert and take selfies with the band.
This hardly seems like living on the edge. When I think of living on the edge, I think more of base jumping off the trail in a wingsuit, spending a week dancing at Burining Man or crashing the stage when the band is playing.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'd be petrified if someone old enough to be my mother thought I'd be a good husband. It would be a major indicator that I'm being far too nice. Just me, but I have to show some fury from time to time to make sure no one thinks I'm a soft pushover.
Wow! Talk about anger management issues stemming from deep insecurity. What woman is going to want to be with a guy who feels it is OK to act in this manner?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Stable, secure, consistent, trust-worthy, honest, conscientious, diligent, caring, etc. might be boring and unattractive to the type of women you are attracted to, but the majority of women who are interested in healthy, intimate long term relationships are attracted to exactly those things.
I can't speak for the majority of women, just myself. Speaking for myself, I agree.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well you are lucky. My mom is a terrible judge of character, what else do you attribute more than 3 failed marriages to? Probably the more my mom thinks that I should date a girl, the more resistant I will be to dating that girl.
It's one thing to say, knowing that your particular parent is prone to poor judgment, that you'd question that parent's judgment if he or she weighed in on a prospective romantic partner. It's another to overgeneralize that sentiment to, "If an older person seems to think I would make someone a stable partner, that's obviously the kiss of death, because you know how these older people are."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships