Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
There's a Netflix show, Grace & Frankie, built on this very premise. Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston have been law partners and secret lovers all these years, and finally come out in their 70s now that gay marriage is legal. At the same time they come out, they inform their wives of 40 years (Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin) that they are leaving them so they can marry one another. Shenanigans ensue for two seasons (and counting). Great show.
Great show! I can relate to much of it. They were very civil though, compared to what is probably the reality for most people. I started out being very civil and tried very hard to keep it that way, but he said some awful things on his way out. I have no idea if that's the experience of most who go thru this or not--to me it showed a general hatred of women b/c our marriage was really not bad--considering that he was looking for a good excuse to divorce me and couldn't find one.

I will say that the hardest part of being the spouse of one of these closet people is that you're left wondering if they ever loved you or if half your life was spent living someone else's lie. At first I was relieved because I was trying so hard to hold it all together despite the fact that he was trying to get me to leave him so he wouldn't have to go thru the unpleasant business of coming out, and if it had been another woman I would have been more devastated and blaming myself more, but slowly it sunk in that he had never loved me. Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Do you know any senior citizens who came out? How did their stories go? Were they formerly perceived as straight then had to reestablish themselves? Were they "lifelong singles" that everyone may have suspected? If you knew their finances, how did all that shake out?
Holy Cow is mid 50's considered seniors now!

I have a friend, was a lifelong single, came out a few years back. He was surprised that his friends weren't surprised. We all thought he was asexual or in denial all those years.
Im am very glad that he is now married to a great guy, happy and living well. I never realized how tortured he felt all those years.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Holy Cow is mid 50's considered seniors now!

I have a friend, was a lifelong single, came out a few years back. He was surprised that his friends weren't surprised. We all thought he was asexual or in denial all those years.
Im am very glad that he is now married to a great guy, happy and living well. I never realized how tortured he felt all those years.
Had a similar experience where I jokingly told her she was the last to know. She hasn't had a lot of relationship success, but I think she's much happier being true to herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships