Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 04:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Oh yeah, OLD. I'm doing that too. There are a lot of similarities between real life and OLD here, because there aren't that many more people online than real life. The "matches" I do get paired with are usually between 70 and 100+ miles away, so that's something I guess. The women I do try to communicate with aren't usually very receptive of my message(mind you I'm NOT vulgar in any way and respectful in every message I've ever sent, and I've even been blocked before I've even sent a message with some women.). The very, very few who have messaged back either never message back after the first message or flake if it goes anywhere.

If anything, OLD makes me feel even more isolated in who I am as a person. These sites even try to pair me with big time religious profiles and I'm not anywhere close to being religious enough to go to church every Sunday or 3 days a week or whatever. I know I'm not that terribly unique as a person, but I feel totally alone in many ways.
You are another guy for whom OLD is not going to be that effective.

As far as isolation, why is that? Do you live in a remote area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 05:20 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Depends most of the time its flattering but there a few out there that play it as a prank

Old 07-22-2016, 05:22 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
You are another guy for whom OLD is not going to be that effective.

As far as isolation, why is that? Do you live in a remote area?
You're taking the word isolate in a different way that how I was using it.

I don't live in a remote area, I live in a smallish town surrounded by other towns, but they are nothing close to cities. The closest city is something like an hour away. There are plenty of people who live around me, but there are a lot of married and old people, and the people who are moving into the area aren't exactly good people as a whole. Let's just say that in the past 10ish years, we've had to put up 2 methadone clinics seemingly overnight to deal with the rise of drug use. I can walk into work and speak with a lot of women who are more than willing to do sexual favors for a man for weed, or cocaine, or meth. You know, typical conversations I'm sure every person has every day with there coworkers, or anybody.

So to stop rambling, the person I've molded myself into does not match up with many, or even any single women around me. I surf my OLD sites that I'm on like once or twice a week, and I get matched with users who are more than 50 miles away from me. So I've tried to reduce the distance I am away from my possible matches from me to 25 miles, and I'll still get matches, but they're just profiles of single women on that website, who actually aren't a very good match for me, and it will also still give me matches from profiles that are more than 50 miles away from me, to round out my list of "matches." And these local profiles will be the same profiles available to me as matches every week until I extend my distance, and then it will change, somewhat.

So, in this way that I'm describing, I feel like I'm completely isolated because there aren't very many, if any women who are anything close to being similar to who I am. I swear I'm not asking for too much, but there are deal breakers that I won't budge on, and drug use and tattoos are basically my top 2, and every woman I stumble in to usually have both.

Hopefully this clears that up. If not, go fish.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:30 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
You're taking the word isolate in a different way that how I was using it.

I don't live in a remote area, I live in a smallish town surrounded by other towns, but they are nothing close to cities. The closest city is something like an hour away. There are plenty of people who live around me, but there are a lot of married and old people, and the people who are moving into the area aren't exactly good people as a whole. Let's just say that in the past 10ish years, we've had to put up 2 methadone clinics seemingly overnight to deal with the rise of drug use. I can walk into work and speak with a lot of women who are more than willing to do sexual favors for a man for weed, or cocaine, or meth. You know, typical conversations I'm sure every person has every day with there coworkers, or anybody.

So to stop rambling, the person I've molded myself into does not match up with many, or even any single women around me. I surf my OLD sites that I'm on like once or twice a week, and I get matched with users who are more than 50 miles away from me. So I've tried to reduce the distance I am away from my possible matches from me to 25 miles, and I'll still get matches, but they're just profiles of single women on that website, who actually aren't a very good match for me, and it will also still give me matches from profiles that are more than 50 miles away from me, to round out my list of "matches." And these local profiles will be the same profiles available to me as matches every week until I extend my distance, and then it will change, somewhat.

So, in this way that I'm describing, I feel like I'm completely isolated because there aren't very many, if any women who are anything close to being similar to who I am. I swear I'm not asking for too much, but there are deal breakers that I won't budge on, and drug use and tattoos are basically my top 2, and every woman I stumble in to usually have both.

Hopefully this clears that up. If not, go fish.
Have you thought about moving to a different area that is more conducive to meeting women?

As far as the tattoos, that's definitely going to limit your choices if you are looking an mid to late 20's or under. Do you see tattoos as somehow indicative of a woman's character?

Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Yep I did. We are going out for drinks as old classmates.
sounds like a good start

Old 07-22-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Have you thought about moving to a different area that is more conducive to meeting women?

As far as the tattoos, that's definitely going to limit your choices if you are looking an mid to late 20's or under. Do you see tattoos as somehow indicative of a woman's character?
Well, now that we've established that where I live is a ****hole for meeting singles lol.

I'm pretty well-grounded, and I don't make a lot of rash moves. I've thought of moving away, but if I were to move away, it would have to be very far away. Like, I would be living in an area that is the complete and total opposite of where I am now. I don't know exactly where, but it wouldn't be on any of the coasts, nor would it be in the midwest. I'm also no willing to move without a guaranteed job that will pay enough to support myself. I can support myself just fine here, and I've become a pretty important person where I work at now. That's not something I'm willing to give up so easily.

I don't want to delve into why I'm not willing to date women with tattoos. No matter how I write my feelings on the subject, I'll always look like I'm some sort of prick, and it's always a huge debate. Let's just say: There are a lot of good people who have tattoos. I work with some who are tattooed from head to toe, literally, and are good people. However, I do not want to be tattooed-and I've been pressured into getting one in the past-and I'd rather dating someone who's like-minded and or feels similar.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Well, now that we've established that where I live is a ****hole for meeting singles lol.

I'm pretty well-grounded, and I don't make a lot of rash moves. I've thought of moving away, but if I were to move away, it would have to be very far away. Like, I would be living in an area that is the complete and total opposite of where I am now. I don't know exactly where, but it wouldn't be on any of the coasts, nor would it be in the midwest. I'm also no willing to move without a guaranteed job that will pay enough to support myself. I can support myself just fine here, and I've become a pretty important person where I work at now. That's not something I'm willing to give up so easily.

I don't want to delve into why I'm not willing to date women with tattoos. No matter how I write my feelings on the subject, I'll always look like I'm some sort of prick, and it's always a huge debate. Let's just say: There are a lot of good people who have tattoos. I work with some who are tattooed from head to toe, literally, and are good people. However, I do not want to be tattooed-and I've been pressured into getting one in the past-and I'd rather dating someone who's like-minded and or feels similar.
I know from past talks you weren't too terribly far from Louisville. I really think if you decide to bolt your current location, I think you'd fare better in Louisville than I did.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I know from past talks you weren't too terribly far from Louisville. I really think if you decide to bolt your current location, I think you'd fare better in Louisville than I did.
Louisville isn't a straight shot from where I live, but I'm relatively close to 75, and that takes me most of the way there. I do get a lot of matches from POF from that general area, so that's not a terrible idea.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Depends most of the time its flattering but there a few out there that play it as a prank
I would never do that. I'm not mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
sounds like a good start
Eh it was yesterday that I asked him.And he said when he gets back in town we can get drinks.

Thing is he has my number and can message me on facebook.

Maybe I'm being impatient but I'm having my doubts he will contact me.

I guess I'm being pessimistic.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Eh it was yesterday that I asked him.And he said when he gets back in town we can get drinks.

Thing is he has my number and can message me on facebook.

Maybe I'm being impatient but I'm having my doubts he will contact me.

I guess I'm being pessimistic.
I know what you mean. You put yourself out there and it would be fun to get a "I was just thinking about you again, I'm happy you contacted me. I'm really excited to get together, it'll be a couple more days though, see ya then..."

I have to hold out for fireworks, life's too short to go through the motions. You wouldn't have known until you tried though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships