Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:59 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times

Advertisements

I think it's definitely possible that someone might do it once, then never do it again. Just as a mistake and one and done.

But if it happens more than once, I think it would definitely be a pattern and someone would then become a serial cheater in my mind.

My best friend cheated once, or on multiple occasions but it was with the same girl and in a few week span while he was in another state. He came back and was distraught about it, and said he only even stopped because the girl he was cheating with, broke it off herself. But he did say that he wouldn't have tried so hard to find out what happened, had it happened after he left California. Which is where he was at the time, we were both living in New Jersey when it happened, as was his at the time fiance.

He said she completely stopped answering his calls at one point while he was still out there, he was recording a record with the band he was in at the time. She didn't even know he had a girlfriend back home.

I think he made a mistake and never did it again, yet many start to do it and it becomes a pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 03:48 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,089 times
Some do, some don't.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:37 AM

1,058 posts, read 676,636 times
No she want stop. She's getting something she needs and it doesn't have anything to do with you. You will resent her if you stay in this relationship. Find someone that has the same values as you and don't get mad at her not having the same standards. Let her go. It will emotionally destroy you and you will look at all women differently.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:03 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,908,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdesey View Post
I have experienced women cheating on me. In all kind of ways. Emotional cheating. Outright sex. Sex texting. Dating others behind my back. Innapropriate communication with their ex's,,,,

My current on again off again girlfriend continues to have inappropriate communication with her ex-husband. While she's not having sex with him to me it's just as bad. She has had 2 1/2 years to put an end to this. She makes all kinds of promises but eventually goes back to the behavior and I'm crushed. I don't think at this point this woman will change.

My question is whether or not people change when they're accustomed to this kind of behavior? Especially women. Does anybody have a success story where their woman was able to change and stop with all inappropriate stuff.

Please no comments on my other posts. I am over itb
A better question would be to ask whether people who continue to pick cheaters can learn to pick people who don't cheat.

I think the answer to that is, only through therapy to work through the issues that cause them to pick cheaters over and over again.

Old 09-03-2016, 08:41 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
OP, not in your situation. You basically enable her to go back and forth to do as she pleases with zero consequence. You think this on/off woman is "your girlfriend"?! Get effin real, dude. Her ex is her primary concern and you're a side piece for the times when he won't deal with her.. What madness is this. . . ?! You stop a cheater when you stop dealing with them.. Lol

Old 09-03-2016, 08:49 AM

102 posts, read 73,264 times
Quote:
I have experienced women cheating on me. In all kind of ways. Emotional cheating. Outright sex. Sex texting. Dating others behind my back. Innapropriate communication with their ex's,,,,

My current on again off again girlfriend continues to have inappropriate communication with her ex-husband. While she's not having sex with him to me it's just as bad. She has had 2 1/2 years to put an end to this. She makes all kinds of promises but eventually goes back to the behavior and I'm crushed. I don't think at this point this woman will change.

My question is whether or not people change when they're accustomed to this kind of behavior? Especially women. Does anybody have a success story where their woman was able to change and stop with all inappropriate stuff.

Please no comments on my other posts. I am over itb
Research it, read it and weep..

The Science Of Infidelity: Why Women Are More Likely To Cheat On Men

Women are more likely to cheat on their partner if they carry the 'infidelity gene' | Daily Mail Online

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/op...our-genes.html

Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM

35 posts, read 22,172 times
Default So sad

Well I think I knew the answer already. Cheaters don't change. I was hoping to hear more success stories. In my case she has had over 2.5 years to change and hasn't. Like some posters said she's getting something out of it or she would have stopped
The lesson for me is to been done immediately when if it occurs with another woman. I did that with a girlfriend before. I gave her one chance she blew it and I was gone.

Nobody mentioned emotional cheating but to me that's just as bad as outright sex with another. It's putting attention in another man which is wrong.

At least I can say I've never cheated

Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Habitual cheaters (as opposed to regretful one time cheater types) can change but usually it involves outside help like therapy or finding religion or something that prompts a whole revamp of the person's way of thinking and priorities.

But that's really rare. Most of the time they stop for a little while but eventually go right back to the behavior.

Unless you are dealing with a person who is seemingly changing into a whole new person before your eyes, and is drastically revamping their life with some kind of outside help, walk away.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:48 PM

35 posts, read 22,172 times
Nope. She refuses to go to therapy. Even though it was a condition of the last time she begged for another chance. I agreed and therapy was a term including stopping the behavior. Neither one occurred

Old 09-03-2016, 01:07 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
Depends on what their motivations are for cheating in the first place. The desire and ability to "stop" and change peronal behaviors is another major factor.

It's not a simple yes or no answer.

If you want my personal take and experience on the matter I would say it's unlikely to happen for most. if the person in question isn't willing to take the steps nessary to take themselves out of problematic situations or address why they may have issues in spefic, they will never address the portions of themselves that drive them to do it in the first place.

It will just lead to ignorance and personal justification instead of actual acceptance and change.

Quote:
Nope. She refuses to go to therapy. Even though it was a condition of the last time she begged for another chance. I agreed and therapy was a term including stopping the behavior. Neither one occurred
She gave you her answer with these actions, She isn't willing to accept her responsibility in all things. If she was personally motivated to change for the sake of her relationship she would have actively sought out the solution on her own.

Whe someone words begin to not match their actions, it says all you really need to understand about their mindsets

Last edited by rego00123; 09-03-2016 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships