Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,213,836 times

Advertisements

....And Hillary invented the rotary engine.

Interests in common are most important.

In my experience (in my young to middle aged days), intellect usually had little to do with dating enjoyment. With multiple degrees (some from ivy U's no less), I've had good times with factory laborers, dockworkers, rough carpenters, cable installer, and the like. I just didn't pull out the Scrabble game. I saved that for my smarter boyfriends. My best sex and social partners were either real "dumb" i.e., maybe no HS diploma, or real smart - so no clear cut relationship there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,122,363 times
We're all dumb in some things that don't interest us; yet quite intelligent in areas that do!

But I think there must be a common middle ground that most people must be aware of; just keeping up to speed with the latest news locally, nationally and/or internationally, is better than nothing; and costs nothing.

Young people probably have no interest in current affairs, yet could navigate their way round gadgets like smartphones, drones, apps, operating systems, computers, 3D printers, gps and health & fitness trackers et al; while older people would probably struggle.

But I guess dating would be hard work if neither party found such a common denominator on the intellectual front. Which would present a problem if either party wanting more than just a physical relationship

Old 09-04-2016, 01:09 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,382,599 times
No, I wouldn't, and didn't, get serious with men who were not my intellectual equal. After establishing mutual physical attraction, intellectual compatibility was top priority. Not a mere preference, rather, a requirement.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,382,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
When it comes to attraction intelligence is subjective.

I wouldn't have an interest in a guy who knew about, and always wanted to discuss, quantum physics or the God particle.

But yes, intelligence, the type I like, is very important. I would not be attracted without it.
See, that would be ridiculously hot to me—any talk about cosmology, Higgs Boson, its biological equivalent abiogenesis, the technological singularity, etc. As long as he wasn't socially inept or awkward and we were compatible in other areas. I dated several of these types, and married one.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:22 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,074,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wouldn't have an interest in a guy who knew about, and always wanted to discuss, quantum physics or the God particle.
Maybe Prof Brian Cox isn't the man for you then!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

Old 09-04-2016, 01:27 PM

579 posts, read 557,507 times
No. When a man makes a mistake and then blames it on "stupidity", I lose interest rather quickly.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
See, that would be ridiculously hot to me—any talk about cosmology, Higgs Boson, its biological equivalent abiogenesis, the technological singularity, etc. As long as he wasn't socially inept or awkward and we were compatible in other areas. I dated several of these types, and married one.

We discuss it on superficial level, we talk about that kind of stuff all the time. We can't get through a movie like Inception without it taking 4 hours because we keep pausing it to discuss the ideas.

But someone who talked about that all the time, and on a detailed level would not be my thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2016, 01:35 PM

48,581 posts, read 34,987,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Maybe Prof Brian Cox isn't the man for you then!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Cox_(physicist)

Not physically. Not my type.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2016, 01:36 PM

247 posts, read 198,625 times
When I was younger I dated a man fully based on physical attraction. I realized early on that he wasn't very bright and we couldn't really hold a conversation. It ended after a very short time and I learned a lesson about compatibility.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:39 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,601,247 times
Yes, I would prefer to date someone decently intelligent and that has an intellectual curiosity about various things (ideally including a few interests/topics that we share common ground on). She doesn't have to be a genius, but in general someone of decent intelligence tends to have better situational awareness and better able to hold a good conversation. An intelligent person is also more likely to have a decent sense of humor.

However, OP...just because someone isn't intelligent doesn't mean they're dumb, generally speaking. There's a huge middle ground between the two. And intelligence (or lack thereof) is not indicative of whether the person has a good heart or not.

Also, all of us have subjects that we lack interest in, and all of us are ignorant in some things. That said, lack of interest is not the same thing as being ignorant. (Ignorant as in lack of knowledge or awareness.) Someone can be knowledgeable about a subject and still be rather bored by it. Now...ignorant as in being discourteous/rude (which is the far more common use of the word in real world situations)...that's someone that most decent human beings would not want to date or even be friends with.

Lastly, intelligence, intellect and wisdom are all somewhat related and great to have...but they're also three different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships