Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 08:10 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I'm probably going to marry myself. I hope I get a nice ring.
I have considered doing just this... Or my dog who loves me deeply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM

641 posts, read 405,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
It comes in handy, eh?
Literally!

Old 10-21-2016, 09:10 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,349,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I didn't want to use the word "alone" or "single" because they've been used ad nauseum here. Lol and I wanted to switch it up. Also it would kind of give it a "how to cope with being single vibe" and that's not what this about lol.

I was having a conversation with an older class mate of mine at school and she was talking about her niece. She was telling me how her niece was just awesome in every sense of the word. She was going on and on about how gorgeous, ambitious, responsible, and how sweet she is as a person. But when it came to dating, she said she has adapted so much to being single, it's hard for her to accept anyone into her life on a romantic level to the point where she basically pushes them away. My classmate basically flat out said that she see's that adaptation was more negative than positive. Most if not all of my friends agreed with her.

At the same time, my classmate stated that she herself realized that deep down she just doesn't want to be alone, and she wanted to find that person to connect with. I guess everyone would have their own personal biases about either situation, as I really had a difficult time seeing that "adaptation" as a bad thing. My classmate seems like a happy individual and seems to be very happy with her marriage, however, I don't really know what's going on behind closed doors.

I just basically said that people should do what makes them happy. But I want to know what you all think about what she said. What does adapting mean to you? The way she phrased it was just very interesting to me. Haha.
I think your classmate kind of assumes that being part of a couple is the default way to live. While not exactly true, it's not way off base either. So if being in a couple is thought of as the default way to live or the default status to strive for, being single requires an adaptation. Since your classmate wants to be part of a couple, it sounds like she sees the adaptation her niece made as almost a sad necessity. That really depends on what the niece wants, though.

As others have said, it's closer to the truth to say that we adapt several times throughout our life time.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Life is all about adapting successfully to the changes that come with age and circumstances. People adapt to married life, becoming parents of babies, becoming parents of teens, becoming empty nesters, retirement, being widowed, becoming disabled by age, etc.

It amazes me that anyone would think that adapting is anything but a valuable skill.
Yep. You basically spend your whole life adapting to things that change, no matter if you are single or not.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:53 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
All very thoughtful responses and interesting point of views.

The way she said it really stuck out to me and gave me some insight as to how much value she places in relationships. When she told me that she knew deep down that SHE didn't want to be alone, I kind of understood why she would say the things she did. When I think about it, relationships like many other things just seem like a random part of life. I don't think they're essential nor insignificant. Either you have them or you don't. It just kind reinforces my belief that there are infinite paths in this life. And there is no one right way to live.

You just live how you want. If you're not hurting yourself or others, there is no problem.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I didn't want to use the word "alone" or "single" because they've been used ad nauseum here. Lol and I wanted to switch it up. Also it would kind of give it a "how to cope with being single vibe" and that's not what this about lol.

I was having a conversation with an older class mate of mine at school and she was talking about her niece. She was telling me how her niece was just awesome in every sense of the word. She was going on and on about how gorgeous, ambitious, responsible, and how sweet she is as a person. But when it came to dating, she said she has adapted so much to being single, it's hard for her to accept anyone into her life on a romantic level to the point where she basically pushes them away. My classmate basically flat out said that she see's that adaptation was more negative than positive. Most if not all of my friends agreed with her.

At the same time, my classmate stated that she herself realized that deep down she just doesn't want to be alone, and she wanted to find that person to connect with. I guess everyone would have their own personal biases about either situation, as I really had a difficult time seeing that "adaptation" as a bad thing. My classmate seems like a happy individual and seems to be very happy with her marriage, however, I don't really know what's going on behind closed doors.

I just basically said that people should do what makes them happy. But I want to know what you all think about what she said. What does adapting mean to you? The way she phrased it was just very interesting to me. Haha.
I've been on my own a long time. I enjoy relationships and I really do like having a man in my life, but I think I would suffocate if I had to ever live with one again. I thoroughly enjoy being alone and going and coming as I please. I even enjoy traveling alone...I've just never been one to have to have someone else to share experiences with, to enjoy them. I don't think that most people are like that however.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I'm probably going to marry myself. I hope I get a nice ring.
Brilliant!

You deserve a gorgeous ring

Old 10-21-2016, 11:03 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Life is all about adapting successfully to the changes that come with age and circumstances. People adapt to married life, becoming parents of babies, becoming parents of teens, becoming empty nesters, retirement, being widowed, becoming disabled by age, etc.

It amazes me that anyone would think that adapting is anything but a valuable skill.
I certainly hope when the time comes, I will be able to adapt to the health problems which come along?

that frightens me

Old 10-21-2016, 11:06 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I've been on my own a long time. I enjoy relationships and I really do like having a man in my life, but I think I would suffocate if I had to ever live with one again. I thoroughly enjoy being alone and going and coming as I please. I even enjoy traveling alone...I've just never been one to have to have someone else to share experiences with, to enjoy them. I don't think that most people are like that however.
people my age are like that, if they loose a husband, can't tell you how many women I've talked with who say they love it like this, they love their alone time, and would never even date again....

But I believe younger girls are changing and it is certainly not like it was when I was young. We were encouraged to get married and have kids...today, women are encouraged to be successful in career and business....which is really great for them....

Old 10-21-2016, 11:08 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,712,863 times
Quote:

I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships