Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The man most likely pays the mortgage payment so I don't understand why the whole house has to be based on the wife's taste and colors. Wonder why your man isn't comfortable at home? Keep the pink to a minimum and share in the furnishing of the home. Most men don't need a whole room to be comfortable. How about letting your man at least pick his favorite chair?

LOL. You cannot be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:04 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Is there a second part to this question? I don't understand why having a place for either wives' or husbands' hobbies or pastimes is an issue. I have a needlework and beading room and he has a basement workshop and a barn. He likes to tinker with old radio, stereos, and electronics, which evidently requires lots of meters, wires, and associated small and not so small parts. Obviously he's not going to be doing this in the dining room. Though he might if he was a bachelor! When we were dating he was constructing a solar reflector in the living room of his apartment.

As for the women's taste dominating the entire house, what an antiquated notion. We've been married since 1981 and my husband has always had an equal interest and say in these matters (fortunately, we have nearly identical tastes). And we paid for our houses with wages from BOTH of our jobs. It's true that my mother did the decorating in our family home but that was a different generation--they were born around 1920. And having her taste predominate was a blessing since my father had a predilection for garish furnishings.
Yes. I grew up part of the time with older relatives who lived in a duplex, and the tinkering and building took place in the garage. Sewing and other stitchery took place in a little vestibule area by the closet, which was also the bill-paying station, equipped with an abacus. (Very old-world!)

I don't even know how "antiquated" the stereotype is of women decorating the house in a frilly manner incompatible with a man's taste. I think it's more regional than era-related. In my extended family, all couples going back generations have shared the same taste, and homes were decorated in a gender-neutral fashion. Asian-style furniture and decor, for example, work very well for men and women, both. Some people didn't have much money to decorate with, anyway, so homes could be pretty sparse. I suspect that the frilly decorating meme originated in the Mid-west or South. It isn't relevant outside of a certain culture zone, in my observation.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:16 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
I'm a great fan of smaller houses (not those micro sheds), so there would be no extra room for man caves or hobby rooms or guest rooms etc. I do agree that people should be able to be alone for a while if they want to. I certainly would want to be.

I don't really see the purpose of a man cave because any SO I would cohabitate with would have just as much say in how the house was decorated or what goes where as I would. I often wonder about some houses I see where everything is floral chintz and frilly and the husband just has to deal with it.

Men who are so into sports, fandoms, or whatever that they need a whole room to display whatever it is and be surrounded by it would probably not interest me anyway.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Do you have any issue with a man or specifically a man you are in a relationship with having a "man cave". A room/garage where all his electronics and such are and where he goes when he wants some me time?
Doesn't bother me a bit but Mr. CSD's *Man Cave* is our entire home, amazing isn't it.
What a silly concept and description in the opinion of Mr. & Mrs. CSD

Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
He can be in my cave. In the bedroom.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:20 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then why are we discussing man caves at all? Who has the space for that? The thread topic assumes the home has enough space for one.
I have no idea why you are discussing it.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:25 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most couples I know agree on where they want the TV; it's either in the den or in the bedroom. I'm the one with the music equipment, in my "woman cave"--my library/music room. Video games are for kids. I don't know any adult men who play video games. I think the whole "man cave" thing wouldn't even come up as a need for most couples.

I would welcome a weight bench and workout room incl. spin bike, deer heads are cool, fishing gear, etc. I don't see why that would require a cave, nor why it would be exclusive to men. Women have weight benches and stationary bikes and weights, too, and enjoy fishing and shooting or archery. Sports equipment is usually kept in the garage, or in a sports equipment closet (with the tennis racquets, etc.), or wherever there's spare storage space.

I had music equipment and instruments, and archery equipment, as a teen, and didn't require a cave for it, lol.
You don't know any men who play video games? Kidding?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
He has his "hobby room" where he works on his models. '

Honestly though, I think I'd have an issue if he felt he needed a place where he could retreat and have just "his stuff", so I'm glad I'm with someone who doesn't feel the need to have a separate "man space".
Geez, I wish my husband would keep his gear and kitsch/mementos in his own room! It tends to creep and insinuate itself into every other room otherwise. Likewise, I prefer to keep my personal stuff in a separate "tomboy cave" also. I keep items fairly well organized, while he just shoves things into closets so that a random assortment always spills out.

Whatever works for a couple is good, and never mind what someone else thinks about it.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Do you have any issue with a man or specifically a man you are in a relationship with having a "man cave". A room/garage where all his electronics and such are and where he goes when he wants some me time?
Yes, I would have an issue if half of our evenings I am alone in the house because he is in his man cave.

I do not have an issue with having the house look manly overall. I don't need plush/pink/girly stuff.

If he wants the motorcycle in the living room, a huge stereo or a fitness room - that is fine with me, I would enjoy that, too.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
He has one (it's actually just a walk-in closet, but hey, it's more of a sanctuary than I have). I fully support it. Hell, I even clean it once in a while and flip the calendar for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships