Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times

Advertisements

I dont see the need for a man cave. I don't really understand it to be honest.

What would I do in a man cave that I can't do anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 05:30 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,530 times
No, I prefer it. My finished basement is my woman cave. He really needs a garage where he can put his stuff and work on his projects. All that stuff will not fit in my house. I have my creative space and he needs his.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:59 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
I think my wife would be mystified at the notion of me even wanting a 'man cave'.

But then, I don't spend money on neon beer signs or homages to the local sports teams and I don't have a ratty old sofa with which I refuse to part. I have no interest in a pool table or a foosball table or some arcade video game that was popular in the 1980s. I don't own a vending machine (because on the rare occasion that I want a soda, I buy a case and put in the in refrigerator in the kitchen - duh!), and I don't need some special area where I can smoke and fart with abandon (because I don't smoke and I take no perverse glee in flatulence). I don't have any trophies commemorating how good I am at rolling a ball and knocking down pins, nor do I have a mount which proves that with a firearm and a scope I can kill something with an IQ of 3 at a range of 150 meters.

Basically, I don't need some sort of 'sanctuary'. I don't need a place where I can 'be a man'. Because my home is my sanctuary, and I share it with my wife and kids because I want to share it with them. That's my idea of being a man. If any place is a sanctuary of sorts for me it is the living room. It's where my wife and I watch movies. It's where I read. It's where I hang out with the kids. It's where I write.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:24 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I think my wife would be mystified at the notion of me even wanting a 'man cave'.

But then, I don't spend money on neon beer signs or homages to the local sports teams and I don't have a ratty old sofa with which I refuse to part. I have no interest in a pool table or a foosball table or some arcade video game that was popular in the 1980s. I don't own a vending machine (because on the rare occasion that I want a soda, I buy a case and put in the in refrigerator in the kitchen - duh!), and I don't need some special area where I can smoke and fart with abandon (because I don't smoke and I take no perverse glee in flatulence). I don't have any trophies commemorating how good I am at rolling a ball and knocking down pins, nor do I have a mount which proves that with a firearm and a scope I can kill something with an IQ of 3 at a range of 150 meters.

Basically, I don't need some sort of 'sanctuary'. I don't need a place where I can 'be a man'. Because my home is my sanctuary, and I share it with my wife and kids because I want to share it with them. That's my idea of being a man. If any place is a sanctuary of sorts for me it is the living room. It's where my wife and I watch movies. It's where I read. It's where I hang out with the kids. It's where I write.
Seriously, THAT was refreshing.

I would hope that a man in my life would want to share space with me, but it wouldn't bother me if he had his own space. I think people need time to themselves, but time to yourself shouldn't be to avoid a spouse or an issue in the relationship.

BTW, someone said that "he is probably paying the mortgage . . . ". FYI, I'm a woman who is paying HER OWN mortgage, thank you very much.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times
The beauty of the man cave is that it provides a home for all of the man piles. He can have all the piles, stacks and bins he wants out there, and I don't have to deal with it all on a daily basis. Win-win.

I suppose our man cave isn't what most are imagining, though. It started out as his home office, because he worked from home. He also kept his musical instruments out there. Now that he's retired, and has a laptop, he's really not out there that much.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 4,504 times
To me it seems weird to have a problem with a man cave. My husband has one, and I guess I have sort of a woman cave haha. I paint & he is a musician so we both have a ton of crap to go with our hobbies, and we both like to have our own space to keep said crap in. Plus it's nice to be able to focus, and shut the world out for a bit. Besides, everyone likes a little time to themselves. If your husband is living in there though, that could be a different story. We spend the majority of our free time together on the couch watching Netflix lol.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
This entire issue can be reduced to the fact that women are more social, and men need some downtime from all of that.

That's all a man cave is, is a place for some solitude...or male-bonding/guy time.

Old 10-10-2019, 03:51 AM

339 posts, read 148,775 times
Quote:
Do you have any issue with a man or specifically a man you are in a relationship with having a "man cave". A room/garage where all his electronics and such are and where he goes when he wants some me time?

No, I prefer a man to have his own space to have his electronics, gaming, TV etc...My SO has his own room where he has his car/airplane/ships collection (He builds models to relax, cool) His TV, gaming set and other stuff is in there, no worries! We both prefer our alone time, as we have similar personalities. He's a bit more extroverted than I am so he is in there when he is working or chatting with friends as he tends to get animated! We both like a lot of the same sports, programs and activities but we don't always want to hang out with one another 24/7. It would be too much togetherness.

I have my own bedroom which is an office, library, sitting room. The cats come in to socialize and they find a warm body to lay on or want to sun themselves. Their cat trees and water are there so they are content because its very quiet there. I don't have a TV in there, my TV is in the living room. I watch less TV than the SO does except during the fall when multiple sports converge, like now!

We have a 4 bedroom house so we can have our own space, we share a bedroom but sometimes we need to have our own space apart from one another! Avoids a lot of drama between us, which is great!

Last edited by FierceKaia; 10-10-2019 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: spacing issues

Old 10-10-2019, 03:55 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,305 times
He has a building that houses his workshop, a ham radio room in the basement and a pole barn to store the lawnmower, a snowmobile and 2 boats. I have the upstairs for my crafts.🤷🏻*♀️

Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 AM

339 posts, read 148,775 times
Quote:
TBH you don't need 3,000 square feet to have the extra space. In my early twenties I owned a four bedroom house with a finished basement. It was 1,500 sqft. Had three roommates at one point and still had a room that was basically my DJ studio. I don't believe in a "man cave" in principle, but you don't need 3000sqft to carve out the space.

No, you don't need 3000 sq feet but a well laid out house is essential! I used to live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house that was horribly laid out! The 2 bedrooms that were not the Master were uber small, like a Parisian bathroom small! Only lived there a year, most ridiculous house I lived in ever. I lived in apartments with a better layout! I had a 1 bedroom apartment once that was 900 square feet in Seattle, that was a nice space! Expensive, but, a nice space!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships