Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:26 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times

Advertisements

I think its wise, especially if this is a blind date / from OLD, to meet them in a public place, for the first date, definitely, and possibly a few subsequent meetings.

When is it ok to be alone with a person you are dating, to ensure safety from a violent or predatory person?

Also bonus question: any advice on how to handle a guy who is pressuring for sex. The obvious answer is not date him, but if one finds themself in a situation with a pushy pressury guy, what is the best course of action?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post

... to ensure safety from a violent or predatory person?
Relationships are based on trust, which is just a belief that someone will behave in a way you can live with. You can't truly ensure safety, otherwise we would never hear about people who murder their spouses after 20+ years of marriage.

Quote:

The obvious answer is not date him...
Yep.

Quote:
... but if one finds themself in a situation with a pushy pressury guy, what is the best course of action?
Get out. ASAP.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:37 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Before the internet, I wasn't afraid to be alone with men and nothing bad ever happened to me. I wouldn't call that luck, I think it was more the company I was keeping (i.e. the class of people I hung around, the places I spent time at, etc etc). Now with so much socializing happening through the internet and discovering that there are absolute FREAKS on the internet, no, I would never be alone with a stranger I met from online without doing a thorough and formal check on him first and spending some time getting to know him and feel comfortable with him.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Before the internet, I wasn't afraid to be alone with men and nothing bad ever happened to me. I wouldn't call that luck, I think it was more the company I was keeping (i.e. the class of people I hung around, the places I spent time at, etc etc). Now with so much socializing happening through the internet and discovering that there are absolute FREAKS on the internet, .
You could meet these same "freaks" anywhere. It's a myth that people you meet online are more dangerous than people you meet anywhere else.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You could meet these same "freaks" anywhere. It's a myth that people you meet online are more dangerous than people you meet anywhere else.
The difference is, when you met this stranger you frequented the same places and ran into them out and about. It feel more anonymous with internet people. There are fewer or no shared ties.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,642,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post

Oh, really? Before the internet, men weren't going around in droves showing their "D pics" to women whenever they felt like it. They wouldn't do it in real life if we were all in person either, as they would get arrested swiftly.

It's not been a myth in my experience and that is what I go by. I've never met so many freaks, deviants, woman-haters and mishaps in my life, they all came from the internet. I believe it's a place that they congregate and for a reason. Combine that with the distance and anonymity, which makes them feel e-courage and the ability to act out, and it's just the worst place ever to meet quality dates.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
I think its wise, especially if this is a blind date / from OLD, to meet them in a public place, for the first date, definitely, and possibly a few subsequent meetings.

When is it ok to be alone with a person you are dating, to ensure safety from a violent or predatory person?

Also bonus question: any advice on how to handle a guy who is pressuring for sex. The obvious answer is not date him, but if one finds themself in a situation with a pushy pressury guy, what is the best course of action?

Did that happen? You don't know how to get up and leave?

Old 10-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post

You don't know how to get up and leave?
Yes, this is a head-scratcher.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:55 PM

4,382 posts, read 2,278,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Did that happen? You don't know how to get up and leave?
Imagine you are on a boat with him in a body of water. Its too far to swim.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Imagine you are on a boat with him in a body of water. Its too far to swim.
Would that not be the same thing as being alone in a room with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships