Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:39 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times

Advertisements

How is OCD worse?

OP- I know for me, I never wanted to reproduce with someone on the spectrum as the genes and potential for an autistic child would be to great. Maybe other women have similar concerns. Could that be the issue and not so much that you are autistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,957,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
How is OCD worse?

OP- I know for me, I never wanted to reproduce with someone on the spectrum as the genes and potential for an autistic child would be to great. Maybe other women have similar concerns. Could that be the issue and not so much that you are autistic?
Really?

Signs and Symptoms of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

Old 12-29-2016, 06:18 AM

42 posts, read 75,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
After the movie would be a great time to bring it up. Perhaps you could mention that, while it is a good movie, everybody that is autistic isn't the same as the movie character, saying that you are also and explaining how it is different with you.
I do mean in just a general way, not tons of detail.
If she is interested, she may ask some questions. If it scares her away, you would have gotten to that point anyway, I would think
That's smooth!

Yes, being autistic does not equal a death sentence. It only does if you let it.

I have the same affliction, btw. So I will like this thread.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:45 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
How is OCD worse?

They are like two sides of the same coin - they stem from the same root. I tend to agree, dealing with OCD is more challenging than dealing with someone who is on the mild end of the spectrum.

https://spectrumnews.org/news/sweepi...th-obsessions/

OP, do you have any obsessive tendencies?

Old 12-29-2016, 07:50 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
I think it would be more irritating to deal with someone who is extremely literal, naive and lacking any sense of fun or humor.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,637,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I was told before to never tell a woman this while dating her and that I should just keep it a secret. I can see what people mean as it's very hard for women to want to date a guy if they find that out about them.

However, I find that in my past experiences, a lot of women may have found out the hard way with me and then feel possible cheated after, where as maybe things would have gone better if I had been more upfront about earlier, sometimes I feel. What do you think?

The reality is, just as in a good book, you need to get the ladies attention. So let your positive elements shine, and then as trust is established, communicate your diagnosis.

I wouldn't let it go too far with the dating, but don't start off your conversation with "Hi I'm ____ and Autistic".

The reality is the dating game is a harsh world where people are superficial as hell as they look for their hallmark channel ideal.

It's hard for an average looking healthy guy let alone someone with disabilities.

The beauty is there is an awful lot of good that comes from being single as well if you know how to manage your time and resources.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM

334 posts, read 537,872 times
There are autistic dating sites.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
Quote:
How is OCD worse?

Maybe, I didn't really have the children thing on my mind at this moment. I asked my last long term GF before, how she felt about having children with me since I am autistic and she said she was willing to cause she loved me and wanted to have and love my baby and no one else's. Not sure if most women would feel this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraaus View Post
There are autistic dating sites.
Yeah I know there are, but the number of members on autistic site I have found in my city, was no more than two members. So it's really slim pickings on those sites, and would prefer to broaden my options.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 1,269,236 times
The OP must have had early success with women that created a positive upward spiral

Old 01-03-2017, 06:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I was told before to never tell a woman this while dating her and that I should just keep it a secret. I can see what people mean as it's very hard for women to want to date a guy if they find that out about them.

However, I find that in my past experiences, a lot of women may have found out the hard way with me and then feel possible cheated after, where as maybe things would have gone better if I had been more upfront about earlier, sometimes I feel. What do you think?
Here's how I would do it:

"I believe in full transparency and disclosure. I must disclose my disability. I am autistic."

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships