Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 12:10 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm chuckling reading this, because I met and began dating my now husband while we were in college. Neither one of us had much more than a couple of dimes to rub together, so our early dates consisted of taking walks around campus between classes or hanging out in the Student Union. If we were lucky, we were able to take advantage of a free concert. When one of us was feeling flush, we went to the dollar matinee and shared a popcorn. Our first real dinner date involved a proposal. True story.
This. I don't know why the college guys and recent college grads who insist that it takes money to date don't get this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 12:12 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Good grief. Call it whatever you want. Clearly there are a lot of people that don't use the term "date" unless its someone they have met and decided that they wish to go out on a date with. If it's a setup, then it's a blind date. If it's a first meeting, it's just exactly that. It can certainly "morph" into something more.

Really not neccecesary to get all excited about it.
Providing traditional definitions is all, call it whatever else you would like.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
If I meet someone at a concert and we end up making out, going home, whatever... and decide to see each other again, was that concert we met at our first date in your opinion?

Or was the time where we knew we liked each other or were attracted to each other and made plans to see one another the first date?

I'm curious.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
This forum is the only place I've ever seen or heard the term "meet and greet" used to describe a date that is somehow not a "real date" because it doesn't involve dinner. I can't imagine anyone using that term in real life.

In my dating/social circles (which have spanned various ages, races, socioeconomic classes, and continents, among other things) it has always been considered "a date" when two people who have romantic interest (or potential romantic interest) toward each other go out and do something together. It doesn't really matter where they go or what they do.

People were going on dates that didn't involve dinner when I started dating in the late 80's, and I assume they did long before that, too. This is yet another case of the media trying to pretend something as old as humanity is somehow new.
The "meet & greet" concept relates mainly to online dating, where the coffee date is for the purpose of finding out whether the online photo accurately represents the live human, or whether it was taken 15 years and 50 lbs. prior, and to determine whether the person was faking his personality online and is, in fact, someone scary or depressed, or whether s/he is the real deal. That's why some don't consider it a "real" date. It's more like a verification exercise, lol. Like passing through security at the airport, LOLOL!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-03-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
It was a rhetorical question. My point is that it doesn't matter how I met someone by the time I'm going out with them. This is just how it works in real life, in my experience, but apparently others have had different experiences. I'm just happy no one I date refers to our dates as "not real" or "meet and greets".
Exactly. That's IRL dating ("in real life"), where you date because you met them in some context, and decided you wanted to get to know them better, vs. picking a face out of a catalogue, and meeting up with a complete stranger who may have misrepresented him/herself online.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Brave new world! First of all, I'm old - small "o", not OLD - being as how I'm 70. Never once in my dating experience do I recall asking someone out I hadn't known and gotten to know for awhile. Why would I? Therefore, a dinner date for our first time going out seemed appropriate.

There were several advantages. It gave time to talk and get to know one another better. It was a pleasant and non-threatening interlude. It provided me with a way to gauge their social skills. Did they automatically order the most expensive item on the menu just because they felt they could? Were they conversant? Were they pleasant with and polite to wait staff. Did they have good table manners or did they bolt their food, keep their elbows on the table, chew with their mouths open, crouch over their plate, talk with food in their mouth, clutch their silverware in their fist, slurp their food...you get the idea. Any one of those would have ensured there were no further dates.

I wanted to date ladies with a decent upbringing and appropriate deportment. Guess that was my mother's influence and upper-crust, New York upbringing rubbing off on me and if she hadn't died 28 years ago I would thank her again for it.

I hate to think that the death of dinner dates is a reality. I still have them only now, they're with my wife of 20 years and, yes, our first date included both brunch on the beach and dinner.
This thread is getting really funny! Curmy, in the old days, the measure of an upper-crust date was whether or not they knew how to eat an artichoke. You could forego all the bolded, and simply serve an artichoke as an appetizer, and see if they knew what to do with it. lol I can't imagine putting up with any of that stuff you list. gah!

Old 01-03-2017, 12:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Kiss and make up you two

Old 01-03-2017, 12:31 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Kiss and make up you two
Me? No quarrel here at all. I already presented my viewpoint.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If I meet someone at a concert and we end up making out, going home, whatever... and decide to see each other again, was that concert we met at our first date in your opinion?

Or was the time where we knew we liked each other or were attracted to each other and made plans to see one another the first date?

I'm curious.
Yeah, I'd recall the concert as our first date. Must've at least ended that way for you, I hope you weren't making out with someone before you knew you liked them. If you wanted to make plans for another day as well, that would be the second date. IMO.
I would call neither of the 2 events a meet and greet, or a meeting. I actually never even use the term 'date', I say I'm going out to dinner/have a drink/Las Vegas, with my friend, see ya later.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
Kiss and make up you two
You just want watch us meeting and greeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships