Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Haha, yeah, who the heck has conversations with strangers in food stores anyway. That's a place I definitely have not heard of anyone making a date, it's crowded, noisy, kids everywhere, and people want to get the bleep out of there.
Oh, I do. So do many others. But we live somewhere in which the pace of life is slower and people tend to be friendly and chat. Rarely is someone in a hurry.

But making a date? Not likely. Besides, my wife would not be amused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, I do. So do many others. But we live somewhere in which the pace of life is slower and people tend to be friendly and chat. Rarely is someone in a hurry.

But making a date? Not likely. Besides, my wife would not be amused.

Ok, fair enough, when there isn't much to do, people aren't in a hurry

I guess where I was in KY was like that, it was living hell. I got out fast.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Let's see- I knew quite a bit about my now-partner before I met him. Even in our short message-exchange, I learned quite a bit.

I assumed nothing. I took him exactly at his word, as he presented himself.

I know that there are scammers out there, as well as people who misrepresent themselves in one way or another. However, I'm speaking about a situation (which I'm sure is far from unique), where someone is exactly the same in person as they present themselves online. And it is from this perspective that my position comes from.
You took him at his word. In other words, you knew nothing. You assumed he was telling the truth. And that's great that he did. But it certainly does not happen that way, all (or even most) of the time.

Certainly your situation is not the going to be what everyone else experiences. No wonder we are disagreeing.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:47 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Haha, yeah, who the heck has conversations with strangers in food stores anyway. That's a place I definitely have not heard of anyone making a date, it's crowded, noisy, kids everywhere, and people want to get the bleep out of there.

But if people did somehow have enough of a convo to determine if there is mutual chemistry in the pasta aisle to the point where they're interested in actually having a date, bravo. At least they met to determine if there is some attraction.
I guess we're using the concept of "chemistry" in different ways.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You took him at his word. In other words, you knew nothing. You assumed he was telling the truth. And that's great that he did. But it certainly does not happen that way, all (or even most) of the time.

Certainly your situation is not the going to be what everyone else experiences. No wonder we are disagreeing.

See, I've met a fair amount of people from OLD, and it is exceedingly rare that someone seems to have misrepresented themselves in my experience. But, even when they are 1000% who they said they were, it still tells you nothing about whether there is any chemistry between you or if there is attraction to them .

But, each to their own...

Old 01-03-2017, 04:51 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
See, I've met a fair amount of people from OLD, and it is exceedingly rare that someone seems to have misrepresented themselves. But, even when they are 1000% who they said they were, it still tells you nothing about whether there is any chemistry between you or if there is attraction to them .

But, each to their own...
I don't think it's rare at all. After the first few meets, I never had the problem again. I addressed it in my profile. My point is, that you cannot assume anything about a person, until you actually meet them. I stand by that.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I don't think it's rare at all. After the first few meets, I never had the problem again. I addressed it in my profile. My point is, that you cannot assume anything about a person, until you actually meet them. I stand by that.

Probably not, but I'm not going to meet people with a distrusting mindset. That would ruin the experience for me, and I've never really had any really bad experiences out of many many many. Some not great ones, but nothing I would ever need to have my guard up against. I'll take people at face value.

PS: I don't include things like body type in misrepresentation, because that is such a matter of opinion, and it isn't that huge a deal to me.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:01 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This thread is getting really funny! Curmy, in the old days, the measure of an upper-crust date was whether or not they knew how to eat an artichoke. You could forego all the bolded, and simply serve an artichoke as an appetizer, and see if they knew what to do with it. lol I can't imagine putting up with any of that stuff you list. gah!
Yum! I haven't had that in ages! Does it come with butter with fresh-squeezed lemon to dip the leaves in?

My first date with my girlfriend was cocktails in the cockpit of my sailboat.

Afterwards at my house, I made Jean Georges seared scallops with raisin-caper sauce.

This recipe but without the cauliflower: Scallops and Cauliflower with Caper-Raisin Sauce recipe | Epicurious.com

Old 01-03-2017, 05:02 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Well, if we go by that standard, then there are a heck of a lot of things that I don't know about my partner.

I mean, he says that he has a sister in law in Connecticut, but I've never met her or spoken with her. He says that he graduated from college, but I've never seen his diploma. He says that he goes into work every day, but I've never been to his office.

Yeah, I tend to take people at their word, until such time as they show me that I shouldn't. Because, IME, having to have everything shown to me before I believe it is a very tiring way to live.

Quote:
I know it doesn't happen that way all of the time, and I've never claimed that my experience is shared by everyone else in the world.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I guess we're using the concept of "chemistry" in different ways.

It's not really a diverse concept. Its a strong rapport with conversations that flow easily, you can play off each other despite not knowing each other well, you just meet and yet it feels like you've known this person for awhile, there is a palpable energy, and a desire to spend more time with them and communicate with them. An intangible energy and the feeling of connection that exists even though you might have just met. It exists independent of physical attraction, but it can and generally does enhance it if both exist simultaneously.

It is not really a new concept with multiple meanings. When someone says, they were good looking, nice, we had a good talk, but there was no chemistry, everyone understands what that person is saying. "It" just wasn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships