Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I can understand some circumstances why a guy could be living with his parents after a certain age (student loans, taking care of them, etc.) but in my past experiences that wasn't the case. In both cases that come to mind right away, the guys didn't want the responsibility of paying any bills or anything to live under their parents' roof for that matter. They spent whatever money that they could have saved on toys for themselves. The parents enabled this because they didn't really want their sons to grow up. The last I heard is that one of these exes is still living at home, despite having a wife and kids, and being 42 years old. Different strokes for different folks, but not a lifestyle that I would want for myself.
True but a lot of women seem to make a big deal out of guys with roommates too. If I lived in a high cost of living area I wouldn't live alone simply from a cost-benefit analysis standpoint. All the money I'm not wasting just by trying to be mr independent tough guy will go to savings, investments, retirement, and so on. The oligarchy, real estate moguls and slum lords want people to stay renters and be struggling living paycheck to paycheck.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-12-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,407,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
True but a lot of women make a big deal out of guys with roommates too. If I lived in a higher cost of living area I would not live alone period, no matter what simply from a cost-benefit analysis standpoint.
What was their rationale?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM

247 posts, read 198,267 times
Yes I think men generally are judged more harshly on their career/job/situation than women.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:02 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
[quote=usayit;46803770]
Quote:
Didn't work out this way for my neighbor (posted about him earlier in this thread). He had a very difficult time re-entering the workforce. Staying at home to raise a child isn't seen as an acceptable reason for a gap in the work experience if you are a male. Good luck asking for "maternity" leave from work if you are a male.... FMLA (which I took) only does so much.
Well it isnt for females either. A work gap is a work gap. And good luck asking for maternity for many, many women as well. Unless its a big corporation or very generous company most women dont get paid maternity leave. If your a SAHM or SAHD that's irrelevant anyway since your don't work.

Quote:
Not to mention it is difficult for a SAHD to find a place in daily life.. most social groups, activities, etc.. are dominated by SAHM and not very welcoming to men. There was a short time period I was part-time SAHD with my elder son. I am a photographer at heart, so I almost always have a camera with me. I can't tell you how many women acted like I as a pervert looking to take advantage of their children at the playground. It is very isolating.
meh, once you have more SAHDs you will have more social groups. Assuming SAHPs spend their time in social groups. SAHMs I know spend their day at home taking care of the kids, cleaning, cooking, etc. etc. not socializing.

Quote:
You rarely see a group of SAH-parents comprised of a mix of male and females at the mall either.

You rarely see programs offered specifically to SAHDs. Good luck being a male caregiver to someone elses child.
I rarely see groups of SAH-parents. I dont see programs offered specifically to SAHMs either.

Quote:
I rarely see mothers getting flack for not staying home with their children these days. Yes.. used to be back when the majority of the families in this country were single-income. Its not to say that the mother was being a bad mother for choosing to work, but rather that the family is not doing well financially that required dual income. These days, dual income families has become the norm and is so common that the reverse is true now; that a family that can afford to have a SAHM is a fortunate one.. it is a luxury.
I have. Even my boss has made many comments about the mothers who work here saying moms should be home with their kids but at the same time complains if they need to take time off because of their kids.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
^^ I have never seen this but half the bosses at companies are women now anyway. I think people with kids in general like to use their kids as an excuse to leave work early or for needing a day off hell i can't blame them that's a legit perk lol. I'm sure my dad did it, he had a hard job and pretty stressful life. A single professional w/ no kids should be able to take a spur of the moment, long weekend to travel or something from time to time, fair is fair. That's what I do where I'm at now it's never an issue.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 01-12-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 02:06 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
I'd be willing to bet 99% of the time if she does get people that feel that way it's other women. I really don't think guys would care.
What difference does it make who is doing the saying. Most times I hear men ridiculed for being a SAHD its from other men, its the women who see them as heroes.
I think in general people are harder on men for not having a good career and harder on women for having one especially if they are mothers.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:16 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,425,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Are men judged more harshly for not having a good career/job than women?
I dont think that its men being judged more harshly. I think in comparison to women, men for the most part, dont really give a flying you-know-what about it. Women tend to worry about this waaaaay more than men.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
[quote=2mares;46805700]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Well it isnt for females either. A work gap is a work gap. And good luck asking for maternity for many, many women as well. Unless its a big corporation or very generous company most women dont get paid maternity leave. If your a SAHM or SAHD that's irrelevant anyway since your don't work.

meh, once you have more SAHDs you will have more social groups. Assuming SAHPs spend their time in social groups. SAHMs I know spend their day at home taking care of the kids, cleaning, cooking, etc. etc. not socializing.

I rarely see groups of SAH-parents. I dont see programs offered specifically to SAHMs either.

I have. Even my boss has made many comments about the mothers who work here saying moms should be home with their kids but at the same time complains if they need to take time off because of their kids.
I'm a SAHP. I don't attend social groups. My super introverted self is not the least bit interested in such groups or activities. No play dates. Nada. My husband works part time hours and has a very flexible schedule. He's home a lot. He also doesn't attend dad groups. Lol.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:07 PM

735 posts, read 453,095 times
Unless a man is super well off, he usually wants his long-term partner to be somewhat comparable money-wise. It's just a compatibility thing. It's not just for men, but for women as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships