Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 02:02 PM

195 posts, read 161,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That's definitely sexist, and wrong.
Yeah, all the time women complain that men don't do enough to help raise the children and when they do they get stifled for it, very ironic, huh? I wonder if, in the future if you see more women making money while working lots of hours to provide while the men takes care of the children if, in the case of divorce if men would start being more likely to get primary custody? Of course if that happens I am sure women would complain saying "But I spent so much time and effort to provide, why can't I get it?" making them feel the same as men always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,310,947 times
Judging someone by their job is so shallow to me. Why not get to know them as a person and if you still aren't into them then end it.

Last edited by 49ersfan27; 01-02-2017 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratrock View Post
Yeah, all the time women complain that men don't do enough to help raise the children and when they do they get stifled for it, very ironic, huh? I wonder if, in the future if you see more women making money while working lots of hours to provide while the men takes care of the children if, in the case of divorce if men would start being more likely to get primary custody? Of course if that happens I am sure women would complain saying "But I spent so much time and effort to provide, why can't I get it?" making them feel the same as men always have.

Women are just the worst, amirite, OP?

Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaa2 View Post
Hypergamy can be a factor. Women are less likely to date down in terms of income etc.
And men are less likely to date down in terms of looks...so I guess it all works out, for THEM.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:18 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Interesting perspective, I came from a family who women often were the bread winners. My mom was not due to physical disability but she did eventually out earned my dad through her own business. I didn't want to marry up or down financially, but an equal and that's exactly what I've got. When I was younger I did out earned most of my peers so I didn't expect much in terms of future mate. But I was not interested in any bums either.
My mom told me to take typing in high school so I'd "always have something to fall back on". I ended up getting a master's degree. I've not had a SO make more than maybe 10% more than me - and several have made far less. Maybe it was role reversal - as long as they could cover their own expenses (therefore, weren't "bums") it really didn't matter much if they fulfilled the other things I was looking for personality-wise.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 PM

602 posts, read 396,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
That's definitely sexist, and wrong.
It is. When my ex took 6 weeks of FMLA to care for our son when I returned from maternity leave, he got all sorts of flack. I don't know why people think rearing children is only for the women. I mean the man had 50% responsibility in creating it, so I think he should be responsible for 50% of its care!

My current employer just extended paid maternity leave to 12 weeks and created a paternity leave program that is for 6 weeks at full pay. It's refreshing to see companies getting with the times. The millenials have made it clear that men and women should be equally responsible for the care of their children and their homes.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:16 AM

641 posts, read 405,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And men are less likely to date down in terms of looks...so I guess it all works out, for THEM.
True but the question was about jobs.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:24 AM

345 posts, read 276,565 times
Judged by whom?

Society? Who cares?

Potential mates? If they are so judgey then why would you want to be with them?

People probably judge me because I'm 43, single, and live in a teensy apartment with my cat. IDGAF. My life is, as a whole, pretty good, all things considered, and I'm doing my own thing.

If more people lived their own truth instead of caring so much about what others think, their lives would be much easier.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,231,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Who is judging them?
A lot of people.

For instance if an unambitious male dates a successful female and it becomes serious leading to marriage, the people who judge the man tends to be the females' parents, close friends, siblings, and her co-workers.

I'll even use myself for example. Not only am I judged by the women whom I date, but I'm even judged by people who I graduated with, the members I deal with, people I meet outside of work, and even ex-employees who I bump into.

Throughout my life I've gotten the following comments

'Do you plan to do this the rest of your life?'
'You still here?'
'Why don't you move up and become management?'
'You're better than this'
'You're wasting your life'

Again, it's not just from females I date, but it's from various factions as I stated above. I didn't even include my parents because it's almost a given that they want you to do well. Men are expected to have some ambition, not just collect a paycheck, which is what I basically do. Men definitely are judged more harshly all around when it comes to careers.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:03 AM

345 posts, read 276,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
A lot of people.

For instance if an unambitious male dates a successful female and it becomes serious leading to marriage, the people who judge the man tends to be the females' parents, close friends, siblings, and her co-workers.

I'll even use myself for example. Not only am I judged by the women whom I date, but I'm even judged by people who I graduated with, the members I deal with, people I meet outside of work, and even ex-employees who I bump into.

Throughout my life I've gotten the following comments

'Do you plan to do this the rest of your life?'
'You still here?'
'Why don't you move up and become management?'
'You're better than this'
'You're wasting your life'

Again, it's not just from females I date, but it's from various factions as I stated above. I didn't even include my parents because it's almost a given that they want you to do well. Men are expected to have some ambition, not just collect a paycheck, which is what I basically do. Men definitely are judged more harshly all around when it comes to careers.
Are you satisfied, though?

I'm not going to ask if you are happy. I think anyone who says they are happy all the time either has a screw loose or is on some seriously awesome medication.

But all things considered, are you OK with who you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships