Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:17 PM

9,398 posts, read 6,523,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
So would you say that it's ok to date a woman of a "lower social class" who saves, budgets, invests, has good credit, may not have the best-paying or white-collar job but she has her own place and has owns her car that no one helps her pay for, has little to no debt, and is attractive and intelligent?
I am not the poster you were replying to but I will offer an answer. I would consider such a woman to be better than someone of a higher social class who is less conscientious with her finances.

Ultimately the best would be a woman with finances like Warren Buffet but that is only a pipe dream. Nonetheless I would choose lower income paired with good financial habits over a higher income with poor financial habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:28 AM

14,303 posts, read 14,928,749 times
I would date a low wage earner but I would be hesitant in marrying one as marriage can be an economic struggle for many, especially with kids.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,633,808 times
Following divorce after being married for 25 years to a passive dependent who never worked, one of my three "requirements" for a future wife, if there was to ever be one, was that she be long-term employed with her own retirement plan. The amount of income was quite secondary.

To answer the OP's question, it could be shallow.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,297,285 times
IME that when two people share the same income level the relationship tends to have far less tension due to money issues. For myself my ex wife used to make far less than me, and it wasn't a problem until she bitched because I spent so much time at work. Unfortunately she wasn't as careful with money as she was when it was her own. I let the spending sprees go, without getting mad, but when she grabbed substantial amounts without asking, after the second time, I had to cut the chord. Money issues are a real detriment to a relationship. Unless both partners have a working agreement about the way they spend money.

Bottom line is that only you can decide if if someone's financial standing is a strike against her. I would be open to anyone who showed responsibility, doesn't matter is she was making 15 an hour or 150k a year, since I've seen both types act irresponsibly. Both can be financially responsible, salary has nothing to do with it really.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,521,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
IME that when two people share the same income level the relationship tends to have far less tension due to money issues.
except, two people who don't make much probably have a lot of money issues. :/ and I'm sure being with someone who made more would probably sound good.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,297,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
except, two people who don't make much probably have a lot of money issues. :/ and I'm sure being with someone who made more would probably sound good.
I know people who don't have great paying jobs. One friend and his wife probably make 50k apiece. They are frugal and don't do vacations. They do weekend getaways down the coast or to the mountains. They also bought their house 10 years ago. They are the picture of teamwork, and even with their lower salaries they never talk about financial problems. Their weekends are filled with DIY home improvements and are a great example of a happy couple.

Its not the money itself, it's how the couple manages it. I could have cared less that I made more than my ex, but she was very irresponsible with it. Irresponsible enough to where I had legitimate concerns that she could effect the security I've built. It don't care how good she was at taking care of the D, no one is so good, that they are allowed to erase away years of my hard work. It's about sharing the same philosophies and beliefs, just like religion, substance abuse, violence etc... all must be considered.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:22 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,521,624 times
I meant more like, minimum wage. 50,000 sounds like a lot to me.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,431,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
I know people who don't have great paying jobs. One friend and his wife probably make 50k apiece. They are frugal and don't do vacations. They do weekend getaways down the coast or to the mountains. They also bought their house 10 years ago. They are the picture of teamwork, and even with their lower salaries they never talk about financial problems. Their weekends are filled with DIY home improvements and are a great example of a happy couple.

Its not the money itself, it's how the couple manages it. I could have cared less that I made more than my ex, but she was very irresponsible with it. Irresponsible enough to where I had legitimate concerns that she could effect the security I've built. It don't care how good she was at taking care of the D, no one is so good, that they are allowed to erase away years of my hard work. It's about sharing the same philosophies and beliefs, just like religion, substance abuse, violence etc... all must be considered.
Do you mean each one makes like 25k?

If both are making 50k, that's around 100K before taxes. That's VERY good, lol.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:35 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,034,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroline View Post
It has always seemed to me that even if a guy is otherwise a good, even great guy if he doesn't make much, say working minimum wage it is acceptable for a woman to reject him for it. But what if it was the other way? Say a man is 30 has a good career going and making good money, he meets a woman also 30 and she is otherwise a good person but is working at fast food. But he rejects her due to it?
You should date who you enjoy. If they don't make the money you prefer, then start a business together.
Or encourage an alternative job. This goes both ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships