Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,774 times

Advertisements

It has always seemed to me that even if a guy is otherwise a good, even great guy if he doesn't make much, say working minimum wage it is acceptable for a woman to reject him for it. But what if it was the other way? Say a man is 30 has a good career going and making good money, he meets a woman also 30 and she is otherwise a good person but is working at fast food. But he rejects her due to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 06:09 PM

622 posts, read 398,579 times
It would only be shallow if he treated her disrespectfully. There's nothing wrong in general with wanting to date someone with the same educational and financial status as yourself.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,525,179 times
It goes both ways. If it's ok for a woman to reject a man who is working and making minimum wage, then why would it be any different for a man to reject a woman in the same position?

Shallow is in the eyes of the beholder. There are lots of things I think are shallow but others might not think so. In you case, it just sounds like a double standard.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:46 PM

15,092 posts, read 10,185,609 times
For dating and mate searching, I think everyone is entitled to their preferences... even if it were considered shallow by the rest of us.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 977,687 times
I've had to carry a whole household for many years... I'm not doing that again. The next girl either has to make a decent income that she could sustain herself comfortably without me or be on a carreer path that will get her there.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 PM

11,836 posts, read 12,111,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand McLovin View Post
I've had to carry a whole household for many years... I'm not doing that again. The next girl either has to make a decent income that she could sustain herself comfortably without me or be on a carreer path that will get her there.
Yes. That's what's always amazed me about many guys who post here claiming they don't care what a woman makes, and that women who care what a man makes are shallow gold diggers.

IMO, you should care to find someone who is self-sufficient and doesn't need to financially depend on others to get by in life. If you want to date/marry a dependent, then you're also choosing the consequences of what it means to be the sole provider.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:13 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,580,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroline View Post
It has always seemed to me that even if a guy is otherwise a good, even great guy if he doesn't make much, say working minimum wage it is acceptable for a woman to reject him for it. But what if it was the other way? Say a man is 30 has a good career going and making good money, he meets a woman also 30 and she is otherwise a good person but is working at fast food. But he rejects her due to it?
I don't think either is shallow.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 31,023,005 times
I think people should stick to their own social class. Thwre are exceptions though. Spending and investing habits are some of the most important aspects of a relationship.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,014,551 times
It's not shallow, it's smart. I would advise any man/woman to pay attention to financial status before getting hitched long term.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:53 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,241,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think people should stick to their own social class. Thwre are exceptions though. Spending and investing habits are some of the most important aspects of a relationship.
So would you say that it's ok to date a woman of a "lower social class" who saves, budgets, invests, has good credit, may not have the best-paying or white-collar job but she has her own place and has owns her car that no one helps her pay for, has little to no debt, and is attractive and intelligent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships