Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 41,304 times

Advertisements

There are many 21 year olds I know who are more responsible than 30 somethings I know. Age is just a number. You never know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 03:07 AM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was talking about having fun in the context of the relationship, not as an individual.
I've marinated on your response and it's a still a non-sensical answer. So, if someone is 28 and needs the "hope and inspiration" of a 21 yr old to get them moving in life it's still a silly statement full of huge holes in logic and reason.......

Epic fail in logic 101.....

Old 03-25-2017, 05:22 AM

401 posts, read 552,618 times
It's not terrible. I think my own parents married with an age difference somewhat like that. I think 28/29 and 22. Youngest I've considered dating however at 23-24 is 20-21. Currently pursuing a girl whose 22.

Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've marinated on your response and it's a still a non-sensical answer. So, if someone is 28 and needs the "hope and inspiration" of a 21 yr old to get them moving in life it's still a silly statement full of huge holes in logic and reason.......
I suppose it was a roundabout way of saying that you can date a 21-year-old without having to worry that you'll be pressured into settling down, getting married, and having babies. To get that experience of "just dating", having crazy-good times together, and letting your feelings run wild. Like in the song "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock. I never got to experience that kind of relationship, just the more sedate "adult" relationships at later years, which I think affected me pretty badly. Well, my first relationship was at age 18, a short-term one, but it was someone I kind of settled for---I wasn't really into her looks, and we had little in common---so those "love feelings" just couldn't develop.

I did, however, observe relationships among my peers back when I was that age. Other than being overly codependent (like "always bringing your partner along" and "telling each other everything" ), they looked pretty nice to be in. Or at least, it was a price I was willing to pay for having a girlfriend---unlike today. Not to mention, they were free of the usual "settling down" pressure, just taking it one day at a time.

So now, that's the relationship I want (minus the "always bringing your partner along" and "telling each other everything"), as opposed to today's mad rush into marriage and babies. So I might as well experience that kind of relationship before I turn into a dirty old man, where dating 21-year-olds stops being socially acceptable.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-25-2017 at 10:07 AM..

Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,503,700 times
Quote:
where dating 21-year-olds stops being socially acceptable.
ZFG is the acronym that comes to mind.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 PM

17 posts, read 30,835 times
Quote:
I suppose it was a roundabout way of saying that you can date a 21-year-old without having to worry that you'll be pressured into settling down, getting married, and having babies. To get that experience of "just dating", having crazy-good times together, and letting your feelings run wild. Like in the song "All Summer Long" by Kid Rock. I never got to experience that kind of relationship, just the more sedate "adult" relationships at later years, which I think affected me pretty badly. Well, my first relationship was at age 18, a short-term one, but it was someone I kind of settled for---I wasn't really into her looks, and we had little in common---so those "love feelings" just couldn't develop.

I did, however, observe relationships among my peers back when I was that age. Other than being overly codependent (like "always bringing your partner along" and "telling each other everything" ), they looked pretty nice to be in. Or at least, it was a price I was willing to pay for having a girlfriend---unlike today. Not to mention, they were free of the usual "settling down" pressure, just taking it one day at a time.

So now, that's the relationship I want (minus the "always bringing your partner along" and "telling each other everything"), as opposed to today's mad rush into marriage and babies. So I might as well experience that kind of relationship before I turn into a dirty old man, where dating 21-year-olds stops being socially acceptable.
I would say it starts being socially unacceptable in your mid 30's, but then who cares what people think.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:29 PM

540 posts, read 363,158 times
Go out and have some fun. You are thinking too much. She might be mature for her age. You might enjoy her company.

Look through some of these threads about guys claiming they can't get a date and count yourself fortunate.

Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 PM

540 posts, read 363,158 times
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.....

Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:

My spouse is my best friend. I "tell her everything" that's what people do in mutually compatible mature adult relationships. I'm not lecturing you or talking down to you, merely stating what is a HUGE consensus among mature adults.

I don't wanna be in a relationship where I have to hold back, where I can't tell my best friend in the whole world, one who will be there till the end of the earth, I don't wanna hold back from her. My heart and soul and feelings are what I'm talking about here. Yeah, sounds a little fem, but the older I get, the more I'm letting go of typical masculine stereotypes of behavior. Am I a wimp.... no... not at all, just sayin.

Being in a relationship and holding back myself has no appeal to me, we are life partners, she's not just some chick I bone when I've got a case of the horns. She's my other half.........

You're either in, or you're out.... there's no middle ground for me and most people I know......

Old 03-26-2017, 12:55 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
My spouse is my best friend. I "tell her everything" that's what people do in mutually compatible mature adult relationships. I'm not lecturing you or talking down to you, merely stating what is a HUGE consensus among mature adults.

I don't wanna be in a relationship where I have to hold back, where I can't tell my best friend in the whole world, one who will be there till the end of the earth, I don't wanna hold back from her. My heart and soul and feelings are what I'm talking about here. Yeah, sounds a little fem, but the older I get, the more I'm letting go of typical masculine stereotypes of behavior. Am I a wimp.... no... not at all, just sayin.

Being in a relationship and holding back myself has no appeal to me, we are life partners, she's not just some chick I bone when I've got a case of the horns. She's my other half.........

You're either in, or you're out.... there's no middle ground for me and most people I know......
Well, OK, then... if wanting to keep some of my actions, opinions, thoughts, and feelings private is wrong, I don't want to be right. Because in a relationship, you never know when sharing something can trigger a very angry reaction. Do I want to risk it? Hell no!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 03-26-2017 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships