Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:00 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,253,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
This is a bad idea like texting and driving. I have over 18 years of work experience. For full-time employees and long-term contractors, it usually doesn't work out. The divorce rate is generally about 50%. The odds are also high for a relationship to fade with a breakup. A "relationship" at work will likely not last. When it ends, it is really awkward. Usually, one of the exes quits and gets "out of Dodge" so to speak.

But it happens. Many people do it. The majority of them fail at it. A few statistical outlying "exceptions" are able to make it work, but they are far and few in between.

I would recommend alternative scenarios: a coed gym, coed sports like softball or volleyball, a running group for young adults, hiking, etc.

I keep my relationships to the gym. There is no work-related soap opera about to explode. It's just the gym and very casual and low-key. There are many beautiful women in there. I met my girlfriend at the FSU campus gym when I was working as a state engineer in Tallahassee. At the time, I couldn't care less about dating a coworker because the gym had many, many opportunities every day (LOL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Pj2zV5FdYU

The gym? I figured that wasn't a good spot because the ladies didn't want to get bothered while working out.

Hmmm . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
The gym? I figured that wasn't a good spot because the ladies didn't want to get bothered while working out.

Hmmm . . .
They don't seem to mind when grad_student approaches them. All the gyms I've been in, women don't mind chatting with the guys. They're all pretty sociable gyms. Most people don't wear ear buds, either, in these gyms. Find yourself a friendly gym.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:55 AM

115 posts, read 92,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
On a scale from 1-10, 10 being really good at tolerating awkwardness, I would have to say 1.

Ok, after reading the replies this doesn't sound like a good idea.

It seemed like a good idea because it was convenient. I don't meet to many ladies (unless they're cold strangers) so why not hook up with one in the office. I think I have to just be more outgoing and open up my options.
If you just looking to hook up with someone in the office, don't do it.

But if both of you feel something more can happen, I say go for it. Depending on your profession, the likelihood of you or the other will leave the company in a couple of years is fairly high no matter what.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM

651 posts, read 408,220 times
Go for it. I personally dont think there is anything with that. In fact, thats how vast majority of relationships actually start.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,144,492 times
DO not question these things. Pursue it. Just get it done!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:36 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
I don't agree that no is the correct across the board answer.. it really depends on the situation. If it's a small office and you're always going to be around each other, and you're going to work there for many years it could be a bad idea. I think I read somewhere something like 20 percent of relationships started by people meeting at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is why university professors try to get involved with their students. The pickings seem to easy;
I think this is more of a mentor or guardian and trust thing. The professor is supposed to be molding and forming them, and helping their student grow...not trying to pull their pants down.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM

102,219 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't agree that no is the correct across the board answer.. it really depends on the situation. If it's a small office and you're always going to be around each other, and you're going to work there for many years it could be a bad idea. I think I read somewhere something like 20 percent of relationships started by people meeting at work.

I think this is more of a mentor or guardian and trust thing. The professor is supposed to be molding and forming them, and helping their student grow...not trying to pull their pants down.
Of course they're not supposed to be trying to get with their students. But the reason some do try to use their classes as a dating pool is simply because of the convenience. This is especially true of the younger professors, and the grad student instructors. These days, though, this happens less than before, because universities have enacted policies against it.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:16 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,803,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Of course they're not supposed to be trying to get with their students. But the reason some do try to use their classes as a dating pool is simply because of the convenience. This is especially true of the younger professors, and the grad student instructors. These days, though, this happens less than before, because universities have enacted policies against it.
Which I totally agree with for me it's way too laden with sexual harassment possibilities. To me it's the same as someone in a supervisor or manager position at a company trying to woo someone at a lower level in the same building as them.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:37 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,701 times
The best part is when you break up. Nothing awkward there.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
There are numerous married couples at my company (some that are newly wed and others that have even been married for over 25-30 plus yrs). I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships