Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times

Advertisements

One of the very few times that it sucks to be young and in today's workforce. When I was working in offices in the 80's, work was the FIRST place you looked for women. I dated most of the secretaries, one escrow officer, a couple of fellow brokers and even married the office manager. (That last one might have been a mistake).

Today, I wouldn't try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times
Don't..

Old 05-10-2017, 12:07 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I dated a lot of guys I worked with back in the 80's, it was expected and many couples met and married via their office connections. I don't know about today, things seem overly dramatic all the time. I married a guy I met there who knew the guys I had previously dated and who dated a couple girls in my office prior to me, but for some reason things didn't get ugly for anyone.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 AM

19 posts, read 14,908 times
For me it wasn't an issue but we worked at a large company and worked different groups but initially both on the same floor. Later she moved to another building as things got more serious fast forward to today we are happy married working at different companies.

So i say go for it just don't rush to fast but leave no bout that your interested.
Good Looking

Old 05-10-2017, 03:57 AM

599 posts, read 693,690 times
Quit your job, then date her

Old 05-10-2017, 06:07 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,200,663 times
A potential sexual harassment case if you do = Like Illegal Drugs, DON'T DO IT!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:40 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,177,453 times
I posted this on another thread on this forum, but it's a lot more appropriate on this thread:

In a professional like job that is more career-oriented, you have to be careful with dating co-workers:

1) If you're a guy, you could easily get hit with a harassment charge. I.e., I've heard of cases where a guy will just ask out a woman & if she gets upset by this, she could go to personnel/human resources and file a complaint against him. The guy could end up getting a black mark against him, lose his job, and worse. Not good.

2) If you do end up dating, your co-workers could resent you if they think that someone is treating someone else differently because they're dating/married to them. For example, years ago I knew a case where a male manager married his female employee - and, others were saying - even in front of him - that he was showing preferential treatment to her. It was very awkward, and she eventually got transferred to another department. Now, there is a rule at my job - in writing - that managers cannot date subordinates.

3) If the relationship doesn't work out (and in many cases it doesn't) it could be awkward/unpleasant going to work. If you have to work with the other person, it will negatively affect your working relationship, etc. The jilted party could lie about you, etc. Also, if the jilted party has stalker-ish tendencies, it will be terrible.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,930,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I posted this on another thread on this forum, but it's a lot more appropriate on this thread:

In a professional like job that is more career-oriented, you have to be careful with dating co-workers:

1) If you're a guy, you could easily get hit with a harassment charge. I.e., I've heard of cases where a guy will just ask out a woman & if she gets upset by this, she could go to personnel/human resources and file a complaint against him. The guy could end up getting a black mark against him, lose his job, and worse. Not good.

2) If you do end up dating, your co-workers could resent you if they think that someone is treating someone else differently because they're dating/married to them. For example, years ago I knew a case where a male manager married his female employee - and, others were saying - even in front of him - that he was showing preferential treatment to her. It was very awkward, and she eventually got transferred to another department. Now, there is a rule at my job - in writing - that managers cannot date subordinates.

3) If the relationship doesn't work out (and in many cases it doesn't) it could be awkward/unpleasant going to work. If you have to work with the other person, it will negatively affect your working relationship, etc. The jilted party could lie about you, etc. Also, if the jilted party has stalker-ish tendencies, it will be terrible.
Good post. Much more refereshing from the usual 2 or 3 word robotic responses that these threads usually seem to be filled with.

I think in a professional job like you've posted, it's definitely something to tread with extreme caution. I just remember a thread a while back where the person asking was a young man who worked in a grocery store and it was beyond ridiculous with the ''Don't date co-workers'' rhetoric. We're talking two young adults, where at least one of them most likely won't be employed there in 6 or 9 months later, whether they date or not. A lot of our direct ancestors (and perhaps some first hand on here) like our parents and grandparents met while working together as young people at a grocery store, restaurant, ice cream shop, etc, so it's overkill how seriously people are against dating co-workers when it comes to working at places like those.

I dated co-worker at my office a few years back, right after I first moved here. She pursued me, so I figured I'd give her a chance. She turned out to be weird and I caught her driving by my house several times when I wasn't answering the phone. Dealing with her at work was much more pleasant, as I didn't have to deal with her at all. She stopped working there not too long after that.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:27 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
If it was a small company I personally wouldn't do it. If it was a large company and we worked in different departments I would be okay with that.

A lot of relationships occur in the workplace. At mine there some marriages that resulted. Some failed relationships but no vindictive revenge like lawsuits or terminations.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:32 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,458,244 times
Office?
Horrible idea for all but the most straight lined individuals.

If you can't keep yourself away, keep it all out of the office and on your own time.

Aside from the obvious social issues that may come up from this kind of arrangement, you will also have to factor in career paths and if your lover will at some point ever be a subordinate to you or you a subordinate to them.

No office I know big enough to have an HR department would allow this situion to contuine without someone losing their position or their job.

It's not fair to the rest of the people working within that space to have such close ties and personal bias towards someone who is in charge of your position within the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships