Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
WE are the ones that deal with our menstrual cycles every freaking month...
With all respect to women who, in my opinion, have much harder things to deal with on a daily basis than men in general, that's not strictly true.

Quote:
...so to NOT be prepared...that's weird in my opinion.
Do you have kids? You never ran out of diapers or formula and had to make a late night store run? Ever run out of pet food?

Quote:
That's something a woman should be taken care of herself and not asking some man to go buy that stuff...To me....it's a very personal thing and only I want to buy those things.
I mean, it's just a product. A product half the population has need of for many years of their lives. There's no shame in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 09:19 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
That would not work for me. One of the biggest turnoffs for me is insecurity.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
With all respect to women who, in my opinion, have much harder things to deal with on a daily basis than men in general, that's not strictly true.
Do you have kids? You never ran out of diapers or formula and had to make a late night store run? Ever run out of pet food?
I mean, it's just a product. A product half the population has need of for many years of their lives. There's no shame in it.
I think it's just a frame of mind for women who've lived by themselves and not been used to, or expected someone will run out and do something for them. No, there's no shame, people just all view asking for things from others differently. It's not even a feminine hygiene thing for me, it's that only I know exactly what I need and I like to be self-sufficient. I'm never without sparkling water, either, and that's not because there's someone around here to get it for me.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:38 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I think this question is more nuanced than it seems at first glance.

If you NEED something - anything - I think you should expect your significant other to get it for you if possible. (If your car needs a jump, you have food poisoning and need gatorade, you're postpartum and you need nipple cream and stool softeners, for example). If you NEED feminine hygiene products and he is unwilling this once to get them, that's a big problem. I'm sure he's embarrassed - but hey - overcome it. And don't mention it.

If this is a case where she just never buys her own products or treats it like we need milk and eggs, that's a different thing IMHO. Or worse, if she's flexing her muscles and expecting him not to be the least bit uncomfortable . . . that seems unfair.

Likewise, no guy wants to carry his woman's purse. But if she's broken her ankle and needs help getting out of the car and hobbling into the emergency room, expect to carry her purse in after getting her settled without batting an eye. But you see those middle aged guys in the mall, standing by their frumpy wife who has two pairs of capris in her hand and he's carrying her purse. Um, no. Not a good look.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I'd think that it was weird if he was out doing the general grocery shopping and refused to buy tampons, I would think that was weird. OTOH, I had a friend whose girlfriend at the time called him when he and some of us coworkers were at the bar and demanded that he bring her tampons RIGHT NOW. I would not expect anyone to do that. But lately I use Amazon Fresh for my groceries, yes, even for tampons. I highly recommend it. It's a huge problem-solver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I've never asked any guy to do that. It's not like I'm bedridden! I guess I'm not the kind of person who tells a guy to go get me things...and then also tell him he got the "wrong kind"?
And I was married for 20 years.
I believe the point of the original post was to see if a guy who was so immature as to refuse a request such as this because he thought it was embarrassing or beneath him would be a dealbreaker. So we can skip over not being asked nicely or whether you personally would never ask such a thing of a man .

As a woman I've been asked to do and done some pretty unpleasant things...including transporting my ex-hubby to and from his colonoscopy appt. and getting to hear him fart the entire time. So if I can do something like that, you're dammed sure I'd expect him to get some feminine supplies along with the other groceries, as needed.

In terms of using getting the wrong kind as an excuse, what can be easier than sending him a pic on his cell of the actual box so he can find it that way? Some men like to "play" helpless to get out of stuff - and that's just as bad as refusing outright, maybe worse since it's sneakier.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think this question is more nuanced than it seems at first glance.

If you NEED something - anything - I think you should expect your significant other to get it for you if possible. (If your car needs a jump, you have food poisoning and need gatorade, you're postpartum and you need nipple cream and stool softeners, for example). If you NEED feminine hygiene products and he is unwilling this once to get them, that's a big problem. I'm sure he's embarrassed - but hey - overcome it. And don't mention it.

If this is a case where she just never buys her own products or treats it like we need milk and eggs, that's a different thing IMHO. Or worse, if she's flexing her muscles and expecting him not to be the least bit uncomfortable . . . that seems unfair.

Likewise, no guy wants to carry his woman's purse. But if she's broken her ankle and needs help getting out of the car and hobbling into the emergency room, expect to carry her purse in after getting her settled without batting an eye. But you see those middle aged guys in the mall, standing by their frumpy wife who has two pairs of capris in her hand and he's carrying her purse. Um, no. Not a good look.
Good point, the opinion that's it's not a good look isn't bc he needs to hold the purse or he's not masculine or secure though, it's not a good look IMO bc he's showing he's with his Ms Bossy Pants.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
... we can skip over not being asked nicely or whether you personally would never ask such a thing of a man .

... I can do something like that, you're dammed sure I'd expect him to get some feminine supplies along with the other groceries, as needed.
And that's exactly what I was referring to, it comes up more frequently with that kind of "you'll be damn sure you get me some" attitude.

Of course you're free to skip over posts you don't think are necessary to the thread.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,095,200 times
eh.. no big deal for me. Why other's make it an issue is beyond me. What exactly is the problem; what other people think? Who cares what others think... do it because you care about the person you are doing it for. Big box of condoms?... ehehe... should be smirking a silent brag. Tampons? It isn't like anyone thinks he is using on himself.. lol

I've picked up feminine products for even my non-girlfriends... just because they asked me to and it was on my way. About the most awkward moment was asking the pharmacist about vaginal cream for a friend of mine that has limited English. I think she was more embarrassed than I.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:01 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Based off a topic I started in P&OC it got me thinking. If you were with an otherwise great guy that was romantic, nice, compassionate, caring etc. etc. but he said he he felt uncomfortable buying you any feminine hygiene products, would it be something you would view as a negative? I have had girlfriends in the past and or me it's never been a big deal, I have bought pads, tampons etc. before and had no problem with it. Heck, so far I bought a huge pack of pads for my current lady friend.

But for some guys it can be an issue for various reasons, so for you if a guy you were with said he just felt uncomfortable about it and didn't want to, would that be something that would bother you?
I can buy my own toiletries, thanks.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:07 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Based off a topic I started in P&OC it got me thinking. If you were with an otherwise great guy that was romantic, nice, compassionate, caring etc. etc. but he said he he felt uncomfortable buying you any feminine hygiene products, would it be something you would view as a negative? I have had girlfriends in the past and or me it's never been a big deal, I have bought pads, tampons etc. before and had no problem with it. Heck, so far I bought a huge pack of pads for my current lady friend.

But for some guys it can be an issue for various reasons, so for you if a guy you were with said he just felt uncomfortable about it and didn't want to, would that be something that would bother you?
Some men will do anything to get a jump on the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships