Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times

Advertisements

Dang, 5 months? Really? Get it together. I can see if it were maybe 2 years, but 5 months is easy time to get back.

Plus, he told you off the bat what he wanted and didn't want. Seems like you tried to do the whole "I can change him" thing when he made it quite clear he was stuck in his ways. You were a 5 month fling, in his eyes, and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Dang, 5 months? Really? Get it together. I can see if it were maybe 2 years, but 5 months is easy time to get back.

Plus, he told you off the bat what he wanted and didn't want. Seems like you tried to do the whole "I can change him" thing when he made it quite clear he was stuck in his ways. You were a 5 month fling, in his eyes, and nothing more.

They never had a fling at all.

Old 11-01-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

"I had seen this guy in a walking group over the past 5 months. We were friends a few years ago but lost touch. Over the months he has dropped hints that he likes me, has cuddled and held me for long periods of time and kissed my cheek in a loving way - it has all been quite romantic. I told him recently that I like him and he started acting awkward and said he likes me but does not want to take it further and he said he does not feel enough for me. He then said he probably did lead me on. I was stunned, I didn't stick around to talk as I felt he had taken the p*** out of me. "

The entire first paragraph of her post = fling. He straight up told her what it all was.
She just didn't believe him.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:00 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
"I had seen this guy in a walking group over the past 5 months. We were friends a few years ago but lost touch. Over the months he has dropped hints that he likes me, has cuddled and held me for long periods of time and kissed my cheek in a loving way - it has all been quite romantic. I told him recently that I like him and he started acting awkward and said he likes me but does not want to take it further and he said he does not feel enough for me. He then said he probably did lead me on. I was stunned, I didn't stick around to talk as I felt he had taken the p*** out of me. "

The entire first paragraph of her post = fling. He straight up told her what it all was.
She just didn't believe him.

No, it doesn't. They never had a date, never had sex, never did anything. There was no fling. He might have flirted some, but flirting does not make a fling. Something actually has to happen for there to be a fling.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I had seen this guy in a walking group over the past 5 months. We were friends a few years ago but lost touch. Over the months he has dropped hints that he likes me, has cuddled and held me for long periods of time and kissed my cheek in a loving way - it has all been quite romantic. I told him recently that I like him and he started acting awkward and said he likes me but does not want to take it further and he said he does not feel enough for me. He then said he probably did lead me on. I was stunned, I didn't stick around to talk as I felt he had taken the p*** out of me.

He is in his 40s and not had a girlfriend in years but does get shy and socially awkward around women. He did say not long ago to me and some friends when he was asked about dating was that he has had enough of women who answer back, he hasn't married as he has not found the right woman. He also said if he has a relationship he has to give up the hiking groups. I thought that is ridiculous as the right person would not make you give up your hobbies which I even told him this.

There have been occasions where he has said he doesn't do communal bedrooms with the hikers and likes his own space. He also at times has had outbursts, sulked and impatient in situations - not ideal.

I have realised I have wasted my time. I feel shocked and heartbroken now as I had pinned my hopes on him to be let down. How can I rebuild my life and move on? Am I best to cut contact with him? I know he gets annoyed when I talk to other guys but how can he when he rejected me. I still want to see my friends at the hiking group but don't know if I can go with him being there as I will have feelings.

Please can people please point out his red flags so I don't fall for this crap again. Thanks.
Seems like it wasn't very serious in the first place to have to "rebuild your life and move on", doesn't it?

Just keep looking.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:04 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
Quote:
Right. We are talking a somewhat casual acquaintance here. Oh the drama......

Old 11-01-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
No, it doesn't. They never had a date, never had sex, never did anything. There was no fling. He might have flirted some, but flirting does not make a fling. Something actually has to happen for there to be a fling.
Oh snap! LOL I at least thought they even dated and hooked up. My bad.

Dang, this makes it even worse then. Yeah, OP, the dude emotionally just tugged you along. Move along...but in reality, you didn't really get dumped because well, you guys were just kinda talking. That's about it.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
How can you be shocked? There are literally pages where we all told you the same thing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2017, 11:09 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
How can you be shocked? There are literally pages where we all told you the same thing.
Because OP is in denial.

Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Because OP is in denial.
Seems the OP struggles with similar problems in other aspects of her life. Maybe she has trouble reading social cues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships