Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times

Advertisements

When I see people offering advice to "go earn some money" it is usually directed at posters who get angry because they cannot afford to go on a quality date, or quality clothes to wear on the date, or cannot afford a car to go somewhere on a date, or afford their own place to live should they some day want to invite their date over...

The advice is not to be rich and attract gold diggers. It is simply to find enough financial independence where your idea of a "date" is more than eating cold Spaghetti-O's eaten out of cans in your dirty moth eaten clothes on the front porch of your mom's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I've been saying that for years on this forum. My whole adult life I only came across one woman that I could legitimately say was a gold digger. My experience has been that most women are willing to chip in and split the bill or whatever. I'm a tad old school and tend to pick up the check until we become an item and then it's more evenly split, but whatever. I've always made more money than the women I've been with so I didn't mind picking a bit more of the slack.

Some of these guys act like every woman they know is some gold digging ho and most of those guys have very limited experience with woman. LOL, funny stuff.
What's funny too, is that some of these dudes go on about how women aren't "traditional" anymore, but "traditional" women will absolutely want a man who's a strong provider. It's the "modern" women who will always offer to go dutch.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,673,179 times
"What's with telling men who haven't had success to make money?"

Haven't had what kind of success? Success in life, or specifically with women? Either way, advice I could give would not be about garnering wealth to lure a greedy woman. It'd be about getting out there and doing something with your life. On the one hand, this is because accomplishing actual things increases your confidence and sense of purpose. Men who lack purpose often have psychological struggles, and a woman who doesn't know you from Adam isn't looking to become your therapist, nursemaid or life coach. On the other hand, getting at least independently stable to some minimum degree means that you won't be a burden. A woman who just met you is also not trying to sign up to support you while you do nothing much to support yourself, unless you're very, very pretty and she is very, very rich, and just wants a pet boy. The odds of that kind of sugar-mama scenario are probably fairly slim in this world.

Of course you have to look at where the advice comes from. If a poor person told a guy that the way to win women was to find a way to get rich, I would think that given their life circumstances are tied to poverty, getting "rich" probably sounds like the solution to every possible problem there is.

Funny thing though. As I grew up from a girl to a woman, only one relative of mine ever told me I ought to try and marry a rich man. Only one. It was my Grandfather, who was a teen and young adult during the Great Depression. He figures that if you're lucky enough to be born a pretty female, it's the most common sense thing in the world to use that to secure a comfortable life for yourself. The last time I remember him saying that, I responded, "I'm not a prostitute, Grandpa. I'm not for sale."

Not a single woman in my life ever told me I ought to try to choose a man for his money. Although they generally knew a loser when they saw one.

Old 12-14-2017, 02:34 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
I work in an space that thrives on people looking to take advantage of one another. This also translates in to their personal lives since there is little room for both to exist separately

These people are painfully obvious with their intentions.

It’s not hard to avoid them, Just keep expectations realistic.

Teach people who come in to your life how to treat you. They will accept it or move on

Old 12-14-2017, 02:36 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I've been saying that for years on this forum. My whole adult life I only came across one woman that I could legitimately say was a gold digger. My experience has been that most women are willing to chip in and split the bill or whatever. I'm a tad old school and tend to pick up the check until we become an item and then it's more evenly split, but whatever. I've always made more money than the women I've been with so I didn't mind picking a bit more of the slack.

Some of these guys act like every woman they know is some gold digging ho and most of those guys have very limited experience with woman. LOL, funny stuff.
In other words, they're angry about something else. More than likely it's because they don't have a woman in their lives at all.

*shrugs*

I swear, it would just be easier if more people just owned up to the way they truly felt instead of convincing themselves otherwise.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
In other words, they're angry about something else. More than likely it's because they don't have a woman in their lives at all.

*shrugs*

I swear, it would just be easier if more people just owned up to the way they truly felt instead of convincing themselves otherwise.
I think you hit the nail on the head. And the question I would ask someone in that situation, very simply, is "Would you date you?"

Old 12-14-2017, 10:18 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
I don't think modern women are so much looking for somebody to support them, but just looking for a guy with a job, to respect and be an equal. A guy who can take care of himself.

My friend just gave his neice some pretty good advice, she seems to pick losers who either drop out of school or are in between jobs, or underemployed... At 25 she already owns her own house, and they always seem to think it might be a good idea if they moved in.

He said: "Guys with jobs have dicks too, ya know."

Old 12-15-2017, 05:40 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
I've never understood the fear of being taken advantage by a gold digger, since that's easily avoided by simply not giving her any money or anything valuable. 21st century women love to brag about how well they can take care of themselves. Hold her to that.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,448,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear it down View Post
This seems like a sure way to get a golddigger and i would always be wondering if she is with me for money and I couldn't accept that.
Because like it or not this world runs on money. Period. I live in my daughters garage because I need to ensure I have enough to retire in the not too distant future. I need to buy my last home and the more money I have the better off I will be. I also pay my daughter rent which helps her household and above all I am not giving my money to some landlord looking to rip me off.

If you have money hide it. Find a woman who likes you for who you are but never trust another with your earnings.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:06 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,969,781 times
What about men who use their money and power to manipulate young women? You guys don't hold the moral high ground with all of your "gold digger" rhetoric.
I can't tell you how many times I was offered dinner at expensive restaurants, shopping trips or weekend getaways by affluent men while I was working for the airlines. Business travelers and pilots were the worst.
Is this what they mean when they tell other men that they have to make money to be successful with women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships