Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times

Advertisements

My wife got a tattoo before we were dating. I wasn't a fan of it then, but it didn't change how I thought about her. It was her body. I came to like it over time. However, over time... she did NOT like it. About 15 years later, she decides to get a new tattoo over it. I had the same feelings I did back then. "Why change?" But, it was her decision. I was sad to see the old one go, but the new one is great and has more meaning.

At no point did I or would I have explicitly forbid her from it. That's like 1950s thinking or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 PM

369 posts, read 269,564 times
Default Totally true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
You'll regret it. Instant method of securing your spot in the lower class. I'm sure people will hate me for saying it, but there are a lot more people serving food and selling clothing with tattoos than litigating cases, passing laws or performing surgery.
Tattoos are always found on the trashiest people. Rarely ever are they seen on true gentlemen or women who have an ounce of class.

If what I said offends anyone, well too bad. Everyone has an opinion and my opinion is tattoos are ugly and trashy. I hate them with a passion and I would never date a man who has a bunch of them. I could probably tolerate 1 or 2 if they're not obnoxious but even then I'd be hesitant.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 PM

115 posts, read 92,139 times
A friend of mine's wife really wants to get a tattoo on her ankle, but he was really against it. She ended up not getting it. If your husband is highly against it and you're still going to get it, it will just be highly disrespectful to him. Personally, I'm not a fan of tattoos -- too distracting to me.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:

I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist. According to her, she can't give an epidural to a woman in labor who has the classic Tramp Stamp across the lower spine, chiefly because of the dangers the ink could potentially cause.
Not, in fact, true.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not, in fact, true.
Actually, the jury remains out.

https://www.aana.com/patients/anesth...than-skin-deep

Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM

28,678 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Well, my wife takes a proprietary interest in my body hair.

When I was a serious road cyclists, I mentioned shaving my legs. My wife said, "That's going to affect your sex life." Well, no shaved legs happened. How stupid would it be to cause any kind of ripple in a personal relationship over something that trivial?

If she told me she didn't want me to wear a beard, I would not wear one. Period. As it is, though, she likes to stroke it during...intimate...moments. So the beard is there to stay. Or if she said, "I don't like it anymore," then it's gone. Beards are trivial. I don't define myself by my beard.

If she were to propose getting a tattoo and I demurred, she'd simply say, "Okay." It's just not--and should not be--that big a deal that a person defines his being above a serious personal relationship by something like a tattoo. Tattoos are trivial.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
A lower back tattoo is not necessarily located where the epidural space is. I had an epidural with two of my five births, and no tattoo related issues with either procedure, because that's not where my tattoo is located.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:15 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
You'll regret it. Instant method of securing your spot in the lower class. I'm sure people will hate me for saying it, but there are a lot more people serving food and selling clothing with tattoos than litigating cases, passing laws or performing surgery.
That depends on many things. In the western part of the US, I would disagree with that very strongly. I've lived in Washington state and Colorado and I have worked for accounting/auditing/analysis firms making good money and members of our management have visible tattoos. No, not like prison ink on their necks or faces or anything horrid like that, but one of our senior management team where I now work, has a small black tribal thing on the back of her neck, you can just see it above her shirt collar. She also has the sides of her head shaved and small plugs in her ears. This is an international firm and she makes a lot of money.

In more "traditional" and less "colorful" or "progressive" parts of the country, she might not be able to get this kind of work. But this is the West.

It's one thing for a spouse to have preferences...but a real narrow-mindedness versus a desire for ink would be a question of compatibility. I've found if a couple disagrees, usually neither is objectively right or wrong. If one of them does not feel very strongly about their position, then they yield and it's fine. If they both feel VERY strongly about their position and do not agree, it comes around to compatibility. If one yields they might wind up resentful. Unless they can respectfully agree to disagree, somehow, and let it go.

I couldn't be with someone who unilaterally stated that they find tattoos to be trashy or indicators of low class. You sound so judgmental, narrow-minded, and obnoxious. Do you just sit around all day pointing at anyone who isn't like you and judging them as inferior? Are you also sexist or racist? Gross. Mindsets like that just make me sick, hearing them, talk about trashy. Decent people secure in their own worth don't need to put other people down for being different or making different choices. I hope I don't offend anyone, but if I do...too bad, I'm entitled to my opinion. Remember, scowling in disapproval will give you nasty wrinkles when you're old.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:24 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
That depends on many things. In the western part of the US, I would disagree with that very strongly. I've lived in Washington state and Colorado and I have worked for accounting/auditing/analysis firms making good money and members of our management have visible tattoos. No, not like prison ink on their necks or faces or anything horrid like that, but one of our senior management team where I now work, has a small black tribal thing on the back of her neck, you can just see it above her shirt collar. She also has the sides of her head shaved and small plugs in her ears. This is an international firm and she makes a lot of money.

In more "traditional" and less "colorful" or "progressive" parts of the country, she might not be able to get this kind of work. But this is the West.

It's one thing for a spouse to have preferences...but a real narrow-mindedness versus a desire for ink would be a question of compatibility. I've found if a couple disagrees, usually neither is objectively right or wrong. If one of them does not feel very strongly about their position, then they yield and it's fine. If they both feel VERY strongly about their position and do not agree, it comes around to compatibility. If one yields they might wind up resentful. Unless they can respectfully agree to disagree, somehow, and let it go.

I couldn't be with someone who unilaterally stated that they find tattoos to be trashy or indicators of low class. You sound so judgmental, narrow-minded, and obnoxious. Do you just sit around all day pointing at anyone who isn't like you and judging them as inferior? Are you also sexist or racist? Gross. Mindsets like that just make me sick, hearing them, talk about trashy. Decent people secure in their own worth don't need to put other people down for being different or making different choices. I hope I don't offend anyone, but if I do...too bad, I'm entitled to my opinion. Remember, scowling in disapproval will give you nasty wrinkles when you're old.

I always lol at these sentiments. It's like these posters are like 70-something and live under a rock far away from civilization, or maybe they're stuck in Pleasantville era, or they assume their particular culture/region is reflective of, well, entire regions outside their Pleasantville or something-ville town.

I have friends in tech, academia, medicine, business, govt. sector, etc., with moderate amount of ink, but they're also in metro areas like the Bay Area, PNW, D.C./NOVA/Maryland, Atlanta, SoCal, etc. Out West, in diverse and metro cities, it is simply a non-issue. Thank the gods.

Old 01-24-2018, 11:31 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
There's a guy who comes to my church sometimes whose head is completely shaved and tattooed. I like to sit behind him when he is there, because his head is interesting to look at during the routine parts of the liturgy.

If he's not there, I like to sit behind the lady who brings her chihuahua in her purse.

If you look at people as interesting rather than not being just like you, life is so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships