Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times

Advertisements

1) No matter how good-looking a woman is, she will always become boring (particularly sexually) with time. The boredom accelerates if the relationship becomes domestic (living together, marriage, etc.).
I agree. When they die, they're pretty boring. Until then, it takes two to tango, chum.

2) Men remain in boring relationships out of sentimentality or financial convenience... but rarely fear.
It probably wouldn't be as boring if you put in some effort. What relationship wouldn't get stale if you don't put in any effort?

3) Over the long run, the periods that men are without a partner and frustrated are generally happier than being stuck in a relationship which has lost its luster.
You could say the same thing about a Ford Maverick. Or a badly tuned piano.

4) Women generally do the selecting in the earliest phases of a relationship. Once a woman has committed herself emotionally, the balance of power shifts to the man (assuming he has some degree of self-confidence).
Bullcrap. Women generally do the accepting. You better get off your damn chair and walk over, good buddy. As for balance of power...if either of you turn off the sex, the love, the money..whatever...guess what? You're using those things to gain "power" over the other. I'm starting to think this guy is an idiot.

5) Contrary to the myth that "looks don't matter" to women, physical attraction may be the primary and key deciding factor for a woman. However, it is difficult to determine just what will be physically attractive to any particular female. Even though men also value looks, they are far more willing to initially compromise on looks in the pursuit of sex.
Not me. Not for a lot of men, I'd imagine. Guess what? I've got a grandiose statement for you. A lot of people decide in the first 5 seconds if they think they might like you, if you're hot enough to screw, and whether they'd like to get to know you better.

6) If a woman is initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do wrong on a first date.
I slapped the waiter for being slow with my water and then asked her if her sister was hotter than she was. Can I still come inside for that nightcap?

7) If a woman is not initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do right on a first date.
I'd say, if she wasn't attracted to him in the first place....she's not going out with you for your looks...so it must be your brains or your money. In which case, you're still golden. For the date. Maybe not for sex. But for a date, sure.

8) Always pay attention to a woman's actions. If she says she likes you but will not respond to kissing or touching, then she doesn't like you. Move on immediately.
What? No ****, Sherlock.

9) Just like there are many men who are simply *******s, the same goes for women. If a woman is rude or inconsiderate in the first few dates, move on immediately -- it will not get better with time.
That's true. Actually, I tend to get a "feel" for a person before I even ask them out. That's just me, though.

10) Any strange psychological problems, drug problems or baggage... move on immediately -- it will not get better with time.
It depends on the person. Not all recovering alcoholics are evil. But yeah, if they have to excuse themselves to hit a fat line of meth at Sizzler...yeah...get the hell out of Dodge.

11) All women have the same body parts. Don't obsess over one particular female based on appearance. It's a waste of life.
I disagree with this. I have a particular "type" of woman I like. Certain things appeal to me, and certain things don't. Julia Roberts is probably someone's "Pretty Woman." She's not my idea of what I want.

Then again, all women are beautiful.

12) The vast majority of men get rejected much more often than they seal the deal. If you are rejected you are simply shooting par. Relax.
Ok.

13) Above all, women crave attention. Women want to date rock stars not because they find the man himself exciting, but because they find the thought of sharing the limelight exciting. Ask any young girl what she wants to be. Top answers: model, actress, singer.
My little girl wants to be a veterinarian. My son wants to be a rock star. I guess he's craving attention. I wanted to be a scientist and find the cure for diseases. I must be a nerd. HA HA HA. (Oh god, I am a nerd.)

14) The sad truth is that we can only truly know ourselves. A wonderful woman you marry today and trust completely may change radically over the course of time to become your most vicious enemy. There is absolutely no way to predict this or stop this from happening. It is, ultimately, a matter of chance.
Yep. This guy IS an idiot.

15) There are far more available women out there than you think.
I think there are about 2.8 billion.

16) Humans are generally not very good at monogamy. Most men in long-term relationships cheat to varying degrees, and a great number of women do as well. It's simply a matter of biology. If you discover that your significant other had an affair, the best course of action may sometimes be to take the high road and let it go.
If you feel like you can save the relationship and that you want to save the relationship, then by all means - save the relationship. Men and women have been faithful to each other since marriage was created. His argument is from absurdity. (i.e. personal feelings)

17) Never, never, never be afraid to approach a female. To reiterate: they all have the same body parts, and they are all composed of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and trace elements. There isn't a single woman on Earth who is "above" you, no matter what her affectations and social pretenses.
It's OK to be afraid to approach the one with the ring on her finger, holding the arm of a 300 lb man with "Rocko" tatttoed on his chest.

18) Women tend to be far more pragmatic about relationships than men.
So..women have a more realistic view of the possibilities of the relationship than men......

What?

19) Unconditional love is a nice sentiment, but does not generally apply to male/female relationships. It does however, almost always apply to female/child, and to a slightly lesser extent, male/child relationships.
I.d.i.o.t.

20) Never become financially entangled with a female. If you decide to marry, do not even think of doing so without a prenuptial agreement. This is common practice in Europe, however there is still a social stigma attached to these agreements in the U.S.
Yeah, 'cuz they might get yur coinz. My god, I think he hates women. Prenups are not evil. What he said is evil.

21) Sex is generally overrated. The amount of effort expended in obtaining it vs. the payoff is absurd.
Yeah....'cuz....um....what? Is this a guy? What?

22) If a woman in a relationship begins to lose interest, it is usually impossible to regain it. The feelings you are having of confusion and fear mean something... trust your gut and move on immediately.
Dunno. My wife hasn't lost interest....14 years.....No comment.

23) After breakups, men usually tend to forget about the sexual boredom and once again find their past girlfriends exciting.
I've never been sexually bored. Ever.

24) If a woman has not gained some form of emotional stability by the time she is her mid-twenties, then it is too late. Move on immediately.
Move on to what? Is he talking marriage? Or dating? I've dated fruitcakes.
Didn't marry 'em. Had some crazy zex with 'em. Didn't marry 'em, though.

25) Avoid women with a large number of pets or women who pay unusual amounts of attention to their pets.
I should avoid my mom, by this logic. My god, she loves her little dog to death. Yeah, if she has 20 cats...I'd probably not go there. If she's had one cat for 3 years and suddenly chooses to share her life with you....Well...ain't that saying something there, turbo?

26) Most first-time marriages fail. Consider that if you decide to get married, there is better than a coin-flip chance that you will be divorced. If any other civil contract had as high a failure rate, Congress would outlaw it. The world has changed dramatically in the last three or four decades and many people have postponed marriage until much later in life, or simply never get married.
I counter with people should fight for what they believe in. And some people get lucky and meet someone compatible. I am lucky. One of my good friends is 34 and divorced 4 times ..scuse me 3 times.....and 1 annulment.
I sense much anger in this one.

27) If you do decide to get married, remember that it IS a contract - one that you can't get out of without a great deal of expense and pain. Never be sentimental about marriage. Love is only one piece of the pie. You may love a woman terribly, but you may also be unable to deal with her in everyday affairs and money matters.
A marriage without love is like soup without salt.

28) Avoid women with addictions, particularly the big three: nicotine, alcohol, and born-again Christianity.
Once again..I must avoid my mom..she loves the Lord. Tisk. Tisk. Guess she's really a loon. My wife enjoys a good glass of wine, now and again. I smoke.
WE SHOULD HATE EACH OTHER>

29) Never avoid discussing something that bothers you out of fear of losing the relationship. Most relationships will - sooner or later - be lost anyway. It's better to stand up for yourself early on.
It's a sad thing, to be in pain.

Ermm...you discuss things before they blow out of control so...that...the...relationship...doesn't..end???? Better to just tell her to blow it our her rear? Sure, stand up for yourself, but be flexible...sheesh!

30) Always keep the ego in check. If a woman you are approaching for the first time is rude or obnoxious, simply go away. Tossing an insult or scathingly witty comment back simply demonstrates that your self-confidence is far lower than hers. Always, always, always take the higher road. This doesn't mean be a pushover, it means you bend with the wind (kind of a Zen thing). The best way to disarm an obnoxious female is to treat her with courtesy and respect.
Maybe this guy can do that. I call a spade a spade. No one has the right to treat me like I'm an idiot. Unless I post 25 years worth of bad dating advice.

31) There is an inverse relationship between self-confidence and concern with what others think of you.
No...Mr. "Ive got so many issues, I could be a Reader's Digest condensed book"....Self confidence and metaperception do not have to be inverted.

32) Self-confident men desire sex, but don't dwell on it.
I dwell on it on average, about every 5 minutes.

33) Most reasonable, normal women will make it clear if they are attracted to you or not very early on. Period. If you have difficulty reading a woman's motives, or find yourself dwelling on what she meant by something she said, or you can't seem to pin down a date, then move on immediately.
Woah. That's straight from the Players' handbook, Volume 1.

I'm glad. He finally gave some good advice. Because, as we know...women never say anything ...where you would be wondering... what she meant.. by something that she said......

What? You don't totally understand every thing your woman says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:00 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,925,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Especially is she's 16, goes to a Catholic Girl's School, and wears one of those little plaid skirts.
17 and now you're talking (legal age of consent in TX).

Old 04-15-2008, 10:23 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
20) Never become financially entangled with a female. If you decide to marry, do not even think of doing so without a prenuptial agreement. This is common practice in Europe, however there is still a social stigma attached to these agreements in the U.S.
Yeah, 'cuz they might get yur coinz. My god, I think he hates women. Prenups are not evil. What he said is evil.
Thanks for the laugh!

*shrug* I'm not quite sure how all of this passes for sound "advice", but whatever floats your boat, I guess. It never ceases to amaze me how people simply are incapable of understanding that this stuff isn't rocket science, and that people (obviously) come with their own perspective on these things.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
What's a harmone?? I am confused............

I don't agree with most of the statements in the article....but I am a girl so I guess that is to be expected!
its hormone see see i got around a girl. its happening already. duh. duh.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:38 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,858,437 times
These are possibly the most accurate statements I've seen on relationships:

4) Women generally do the selecting in the earliest phases of a relationship. Once a woman has committed herself emotionally, the balance of power shifts to the man (assuming he has some degree of self-confidence).
5) Contrary to the myth that "looks don't matter" to women, physical attraction may be the primary and key deciding factor for a woman. However, it is difficult to determine just what will be physically attractive to any particular female. Even though men also value looks, they are far more willing to initially compromise on looks in the pursuit of sex.
6) If a woman is initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do wrong on a first date.
7) If a woman is not initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do right on a first date.

Women like to think that this isn't the way things are but that's because it makes them feel good about themselves. When women attempt to put the blame entirely on men for not having success dating, they demonstrate that they have no understanding of these points.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
I fully support this article and it is true as ever.

Quote:
8) Always pay attention to a woman's actions. If she says she likes you but will not respond to kissing or touching, then she doesn't like you. Move on immediately.
Exactly. Either she is into you or not. Any sign that she is not into you, move on it isn't going to work. The last thing you want to do is waste precious time and energy with a boring person.

Quote:
See, this is why you want a chick who is physically attracted to you.

Quote:
9) Just like there are many men who are simply *******s, the same goes for women. If a woman is rude or inconsiderate in the first few dates, move on immediately -- it will not get better with time.
Exactly right! If she is a prude - move on. Plenty of fish in the sea.

Quote:
10) Any strange psychological problems, drug problems or baggage... move on immediately -- it will not get better with time.
Single mom, prude, not sexually attracted to you - move on.

Quote:
11) All women have the same body parts. Don't obsess over one particular female based on appearance. It's a waste of life.
Exactly. Focus on that chick who is sexual attracted to you, I can't stress this enough! It'll be the best sex ever!

Quote:
12) The vast majority of men get rejected much more often than they seal the deal. If you are rejected you are simply shooting par. Relax.
Very true. Play the numbers game. It isn't about getting rejected but rather screening through as many applicants as possible until you find that one girl who has he hots for you.

Quote:
14) The sad truth is that we can only truly know ourselves. A wonderful woman you marry today and trust completely may change radically over the course of time to become your most vicious enemy. There is absolutely no way to predict this or stop this from happening. It is, ultimately, a matter of chance.
Yes. Moral of the story: DON'T GET MARRIED. If you do I would recommend a couple other games: lotto, russian roulette and poker.

Quote:
15) There are far more available women out there than you think.
I found this out when I was actually in a relationship. I noticed that there was suddenly a lot more women available. Also women are willing to cheat all the time if they think they will get a better man out of the risk.

Quote:
17) Never, never, never be afraid to approach a female. To reiterate: they all have the same body parts, and they are all composed of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and trace elements. There isn't a single woman on Earth who is "above" you, no matter what her affectations and social pretenses.
Exactly. Many men put women on a throne. IDIOT. Throw your game out there and make it happen.

Quote:
19) Unconditional love is a nice sentiment, but does not generally apply to male/female relationships. It does however, almost always apply to female/child, and to a slightly lesser extent, male/child relationships.
Women always put their children first. If you you want to be the 2nd rank love of her live - have children.

Quote:
Don't get married. It is pointless.

Quote:
21) Sex is generally overrated. The amount of effort expended in obtaining it vs. the payoff is absurd.
Most men don't follow their rules so they often get sucked into women who have no interest in having sex with them.

Quote:
25) Avoid women with a large number of pets or women who pay unusual amounts of attention to their pets.
Means they want to have kids. They use pets as a substitute for the children they never had.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyneth View Post
The list is really sad. The man who wrote it thinks that women are only good for sexual pleasure. He doesn't value friendship, companionship or compatiblity. It makes me wonder what is the nature of his male/male relationships. He probably just bonds over drinks and talk about sex. It makes me wonder about his family relationships and his desire for his own family. He is perhaps damaged by his short marriage and divorce.
In mens eyes, women are only good for sex. It works for me.

Honestly think about it. I don't take my car to the dentist because he doesn't know how to fix cars. I am not looking for friendship in a relationship because male friends make much better friends (similar interest etc.). Women, however, are masters are pleasuring the male body. So that is what I use women for. Yes we can connect on many levels and have a good time together, however, the main objective is sex and nothing more. If sex is not guaranteed, I am not even going to bother.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
A friend sent me this link about a guy sharing his 25 years of dating wisdom. It's oriented toward women, but some points apply to women as well. What do you fellows think? He makes some really good points. But you can tell he's a bit bitter from divorce.
He's still dating after 25 years??!!-- he's running on a neverending treadmill. He he.. And he's probably reading that Mystery Method or Venutian art-something nuggets of "wisdom".

BLAH... whatever works for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships