Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:00 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
She has set clear boundaries - you're in the friend zone. Are you ok with being just friends with her? Because chances are, that's as far as it will go.

I was in a similar situation a while ago. I wasted over a year of my life being kept at arm's length with a guy who never intended to take things further, yet wanted to call, text, go out, etc.

You're only a few weeks in - you can decide now if you're ok with her not seeing you in a potential-sexual-partner way.
People in the friend zone don't cuddle. She simply can't make up her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I am of the opinion when it comes to relationships: if it is isn’t gonna to happen quickly it isn’t gonna happen at all
Majorly disagree. This can't apply to all relationships.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sayeth the expert.

OP, I don't know what her ultimate intentions are. It may be that she doesn't have any. If you like her and she is a good friend, enjoy the friendship. If it develops into something more, wonderful. If not, she's still worth knowing, right?

I hate this all-or-nothing attitude about friends vs. lovers. It seems to me that a balanced life could benefit from both kinds of relationship.
That's because the horn dogs out there want to hop in the sack after 3 dates (3-date rule)

Old 06-25-2018, 05:08 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,827,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
And what's your personal experience? From your threads I gather that you're still looking for it to happen, so perhaps it's worth to change your strategy?
If I had any idea how to improve, I would be going out and enjoying dates rather than being a keyboard warrior here..

It is a million dollar question

Old 06-25-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
If I had any idea how to improve, I would be going out and enjoying dates rather than being a keyboard warrior here..

It is a million dollar question
Yeah, someone is always trying to be come some kind of "life coach" on here in situations where it's not applicable.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:56 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,594 times
OP, you are her proxy boyfriend. She still has the desire for some intimacy, but she is not attracted to you as more than a friend. The cuddling is a bit puzzling until you figure out that she is trying to replace some of the lost closeness she felt with her ex.

Is rebound too strong of a word here?

I would suggest keeping your options open. If she is truly your friend, that's fine, but I think it unlikely that she is ready for anything more, at this point, and you are going to get frustrated, soon. Sounds like you are nearly there.

I would be interested in her reaction if you found another person to date. It could be that the two of you could remain friends, but her reaction would be telling.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM

399 posts, read 221,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
OP, you are her proxy boyfriend. She still has the desire for some intimacy, but she is not attracted to you as more than a friend. The cuddling is a bit puzzling until you figure out that she is trying to replace some of the lost closeness she felt with her ex.

Is rebound too strong of a word here?

I would suggest keeping your options open. If she is truly your friend, that's fine, but I think it unlikely that she is ready for anything more, at this point, and you are going to get frustrated, soon. Sounds like you are nearly there.

I would be interested in her reaction if you found another person to date. It could be that the two of you could remain friends, but her reaction would be telling.
I'm not frustrated, actually. I've learned to be comfortable with myself enough to not need to be in a sexual relationship.

At the same time, if this doesn't have a realistic chance of going somewhere, I'll probably start going out and meeting people again. Because I also don't really want to be single in my 30s.

Btw, I totally understand why you're calling it a rebound. To some extent, perhaps it is. But keep in mind that she's also an extremely independent person - due to the nature of her previous job, she basically couldn't have friends, so she learned to do everything solo.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
OP, you are certified friend zoned. If she was that into you, she’d not pull the “I need time to heal” card. I’d forget about this one ASAP.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Sayeth the expert.

OP, I don't know what her ultimate intentions are. It may be that she doesn't have any. If you like her and she is a good friend, enjoy the friendship. If it develops into something more, wonderful. If not, she's still worth knowing, right?

I hate this all-or-nothing attitude about friends vs. lovers. It seems to me that a balanced life could benefit from both kinds of relationship.
I do intend on sticking with her in the near term. I would probably give her a lot of space if either of us ends up in a relationship with someone else. Both for my sake and the other person - the stuff I've been doing with the her isn't run-of-the-mill platonic guy friend stuff.

For me the main question is if I should back off a bit so I have time to meet someone new - or stay the course and let her initiate when she's ready to escalate.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
OP, you are certified friend zoned. If she was that into you, she’d not pull the “I need time to heal” card. I’d forget about this one ASAP.
If that's the case, why would she say "Not yet" instead of "I don't see you that way" when I told her I wanted to kiss her?

Unless you think she's intentionally leading me on - which I would strongly disagree with, based on how I know her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships