Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don’t cuddle with my make friends. She is using you for intimacy right now. You have to decide if that is Ok.

I think I agree with this. And if I were you, I'd put the brakes on the cuddling. If she asks why, be frank with her. "I'm trying to respect your desire to just remain friends at this point, and the physical contact throws me off."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 AM

399 posts, read 221,076 times
Thanks for the input, all.

We're clearly not an exclusive pair regardless, so I'm not shying away from meeting someone else.

We'll see how it goes and I'll let you know what happens.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:13 AM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think I agree with this. And if I were you, I'd put the brakes on the cuddling. If she asks why, be frank with her. "I'm trying to respect your desire to just remain friends at this point, and the physical contact throws me off."
^^^^
This

I am very affectionate and cuddly... but only within a romantic relationship.

A friend of either gender might get a hug, but that is it. I would consider anything more to be blurring the line between friendship and romance.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
^^^^
This

A friend of either gender might get a hug, but that is it. I would consider anything more to be blurring the line between friendship and romance.
Everything about this relationship feels non-platonic except for the sexual component. Everything we've done is the two of us, we have VERY long hugs, do a lot of cuddling, etc.

Hence why this situation is difficult for me to get my head around. My gut tells me she wants more, but her words are hard for me to understand

I tried to clarify by asking if she saw me as a friend in the same way as one of her good female friends - she dodged the question by just saying "I see you as a friend" and not answering directly.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,509 times
I've been in your shoes a number of times. Not once has it ever ended well. I highly recommend reading Mark Manson's material - the law of F*** yes. https://markmanson.net/****-yes (CD's filter will probably kick in, so type the word in the url)

Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Onn View Post
^^^^
This

Same! I will absolutely hug a male friend. No problem.

I am also touchy, and I tend to do stuff like touch people on the arm/shoulder/upper back in a conversation. These are neutral zones for me and I do it when I am comfortable with someone. I may also touch a knee in a convo. But it isn't lingering or anything, just for emphasis.

But cuddling? No bueno. Putting your arm around them when walking? Nope that is a little too relationship-y for me. I definitely get sort of weirded out when the male friend crosses that line.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post

I tried to clarify by asking if she saw me as a friend in the same way as one of her good female friends - she dodged the question by just saying "I see you as a friend" and not answering directly.

She's got no business "dating" right now.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Same! I will absolutely hug a male friend. No problem.

I am also touchy, and I tend to do stuff like touch people on the arm/shoulder/upper back in a conversation. These are neutral zones for me and I do it when I am comfortable with someone. I may also touch a knee in a convo. But it isn't lingering or anything, just for emphasis.

But cuddling? No bueno. Putting your arm around them when walking? Nope that is a little too relationship-y for me. I definitely get sort of weirded out when the male friend crosses that line.
Why do you think it doesn't seem weird to her when I do that?

Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsix View Post
Why do you think it doesn't seem weird to her when I do that?
Because she doesn't know what she wants.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Because she doesn't know what she wants.
THAT I believe. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships