Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not true at all. I have been in Brooklyn twice last month for shows and casually talked with plenty of people. Threes Brewing in Gowanas (sp?) is great for meeting people. I joined a couple of people at their table in the garden, two women, they invited me... that is something that would never happen in Boston! People are much more social in Brooklyn. Met people at both shows too (Brooklyn Steele and Brooklyn Bazaar). I can't go to NY and not end up talking to and meeting people out and about.

I live in RI now, having recently moved from MA.
I bet it's because you have that thing called "a personality". Or maybe it's that you don't see everything through a preconceived, dark prism.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:34 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,286 times
Quote:
Not true at all. I have been in Brooklyn twice last month for shows and casually talked with plenty of people. Threes Brewing in Gowanas (sp?) is great for meeting people. I joined a couple of people at their table in the garden, two women, they invited me... that is something that would never happen in Boston! I meet and talk to people pretty much every time I'm there. People are much more social in Brooklyn than Boston. Met people at both shows too (Brooklyn Steele and Brooklyn Bazaar). I can't go to NY and not end up talking to and meeting people out and about.

Brooklyn is a little different now. This is because now it's 30% transplants (if not more). Plus if you visually look hipster-ish I'm sure that doesn't hurt. But generally if you try the same thing in Midtown with the Bridge and Tunnel crowd you might get some weird looks.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bet it's because you have that thing called "a personality". Or maybe it's that you don't see everything through a preconceived, dark prism.

I dunno. Just a regular dude. Average looking, average job. But yeah, I like going to NY to see bands. Going in a couple of weeks for a show in DC, then bus back to NY for a show at the Sony Music Hall. NY gets so many bands that Boston/Providence don't get. It's hard to not have (too much) fun in NY, but damn, I hemorrhage $$ when there. Ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
Brooklyn is a little different now. This is because now it's 30% transplants (if not more). Plus if you visually look hipster-ish I'm sure that doesn't hurt. But generally if you try the same thing in Midtown with the Bridge and Tunnel crowd you might get some weird looks.
I'm a middle aged dude, so hardly a hipster. I meet people in Manhattan too, often enough. Blind Tiger was always good for meeting and talking to people, but I enjoy Brooklyn more. So much fun going on.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:47 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I dunno. Just a regular dude. Average looking, average job. But yeah, I like going to NY to see bands. Going in a couple of weeks for a show in DC, then bus back to NY for a show at the Sony Music Hall. NY gets so many bands that Boston/Providence don't get. It's hard to not have (too much) fun in NY, but damn, I hemorrhage $$ when there. Ha.

I'm a middle aged dude, so hardly a hipster. I meet people in Manhattan too, often enough. Blind Tiger was always good for meeting and talking to people, but I enjoy Brooklyn more. So much fun going on.
Well, you said something important right there. You have an interest--music--and you are going to meet other people who have the same interest.

You are right--NYC isn't cheap! Go to see a band, get some drinks and food after, and yes, you'll burn through more $$ than you would in most other cities.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
A man has to approach minimum 10 Women to even get a conversation. Women by biological necessity and socialization are selective and guarded.

In general a Woman on the other hand has to merely select the best option from the 10 Men who have approached her.
10 man? What 10 men? Show me 10 men. There are no 10 men. There aren't even 2 men. Get over yourself, MM. You're not plugged into the reality of average women.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-02-2018 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-02-2018, 08:03 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,093,352 times
Quote:
Not true at all. I have been in Brooklyn twice last month for shows and casually talked with plenty of people. Threes Brewing in Gowanas (sp?) is great for meeting people. I joined a couple of people at their table in the garden, two women, they invited me... that is something that would never happen in Boston! I meet and talk to people pretty much every time I'm there. People are much more social in Brooklyn than Boston. Met people at both shows too (Brooklyn Steele and Brooklyn Bazaar). I can't go to NY and not end up talking to and meeting people out and about.

Well, I lived in NYC area for many years now and this never happened to me. You are either unusually lucky or look like Brad Pitt. I on the other hand is average by NYC standard in appearance/job...

Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Quote:
Prove it is wrong.

Please release "MightyQueen801 walks 12 hours in NYC" walk through each neighborhood and show us THAT NOT A SINGLE MAN SPOKE TO YOU.

For goodness sake, a Meth addict 60 year old homeless Woman with no teeth in Camden NJ was being FOUGHT OVER by two 70 year homeless fellow addicts. I saw this LIVE.

Please wake up to reality. A Woman ALWAYS has options. She just may not LIKE THOSE OPTIONS. Nevertheless a Woman will always have 10x the options as a Man in the equivalent circumstance. Until the age of 70 at which point most of the Men are dead.

Men have a lot of options, too. But it seems, most men who struggle with dating are looking for 3-10's on the red pill scale.

Plenty of 1-2's in the dating pool

Old 07-02-2018, 08:09 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well, I lived in NYC area for many years now and this never happened to me. You are either unusually lucky or look like Brad Pitt. I on the other hand is average by NYC standard in appearance/job...

LOL, nothing like Brad Pitt. As non descript/average as you can get. I was talking to a couple along one side (sitting on a rock wall), and one of the women at the table asked me about a patch on my bag (a brewery), convo happened, I join them, we buy rounds for each other. Stuff like that happens all the time. Especially in place like Brooklyn, it's just beyond friendly. If I were a 20 something I'd do what it takes to live there.

I just think lots of people that complain about this stuff aren't out being social. Or, if they are talking to people they have intentions, and aren't being social because they like connecting with people.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM

972 posts, read 542,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
With many people, divorce doesn't just suddenly happen. We try all sorts of other stuff first to fix things, change things. Eventually it is just dead. And sometimes we hang on even after that. Just hoping. This means that by the time we officially divorce we may have been out of love literally for years.
That's what I was thinking. If the person is stuck in a dead marriage, he or she might spend those dead years dreaming about a better relationship - or even planning to pursue 2.0 while biding his or her time. None of us are getting younger, so that person is probably going to move fast once the marriage is done.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,037,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
That's what I was thinking. If the person is stuck in a dead marriage, he or she might spend those dead years dreaming about a better relationship - or even planning to pursue 2.0 while biding his or her time. None of us are getting younger, so that person is probably going to move fast once the marriage is done.
Right, so that's when the solo trips to Meetup happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships