Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,041,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Not just a CA thing; Seattle and elsewhere, too. And just because they're open to having a conversation now and then doesn't mean they're not there to work out. Most people are capable of managing two different activities together, you know. They can work out without closing themselves off to the people around them. And chatting around the sign-in desk, an example I gave, takes place before any working out has even begun. I see you struggle with the overall concept, but plenty of people manage it very smoothly and naturally. As far as "outfits" go, the women wear shorts or sweats or leggings with a long T-shirt. The only real exercise outfit I ever saw on a woman was at the one high-end gym I tried out, with a free guest pass once.

Throwing out assumptions about my experience and exercise environments, which you've never seen, isn't a very effective debate technique.

Well forgive me, but having been to many many gyms in many many states for many many years and not seeing ANYTHING remotely like you describe at all (except in that crappy Presidio place), never mind with PLENTY of people, except in the Bay Area where people in general are pretty damn sedated in general, so lets just say I'm more than a little doubtful. I'm aware of what goes on around me because I've very mindful of not spending too much time on a piece of equipment as others may want to use it (aka not being rude) and what you say you experience is NOTHING like anything I've seen. Sure, as I said, people socialize at classes (before and after) be weren't talking about that, we're talking about working out where OVERWHELMINGLY people have on headphones and are focused on working out. They aren't chatting people up randomly or taking breaks between sets to get to know their freaking work out neighbors. Is a re-occurring theme with many of your posts, aka the stuff you go one about how the "average girl" never gets noticed out at that bar (sooooo not true at all, heck, the below average obese woman gets attention any day of the week at a bar).

Last edited by timberline742; 07-06-2018 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,336,806 times
Quote:
As far as "outfits" go, the women wear shorts or sweats or leggings with a long T-shirt. The only real exercise outfit I ever saw on a woman was at the one high-end gym I tried out, with a free guest pass once.

I had you pegged for the Olivia Newton-John 'Physical' outfit. I go with the Richard Simmons look.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:03 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,057,982 times
Quote:
Not just a CA thing; Seattle and elsewhere, too. And just because they're open to having a conversation now and then doesn't mean they're not there to work out. Most people are capable of managing two different activities together, you know. They can work out without closing themselves off to the people around them. And chatting around the sign-in desk, an example I gave, takes place before any working out has even begun. I see you struggle with the overall concept, but plenty of people manage it very smoothly and naturally. As far as "outfits" go, the women wear shorts or sweats or leggings with a long T-shirt. The only real exercise outfit I ever saw on a woman was at the one high-end gym I tried out, with a free guest pass once.

Throwing out assumptions about my experience and exercise environments, which you've never seen, isn't a very effective debate technique.
Yeah, that post was pretty much full of cliches. I AM in the suburbs and it isn't some Reality TV housewives showing off their cute outfits thing at the gyms I've been in. Not even my tiny one in my own tiny town. People are serious about working out but yes, here in CA we are in general more open to exchanging a few words here and there, with no agenda...I say this as a comparison to other places I've lived. Just my $0.02.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:08 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,480,645 times
I'm just gonna have to be lonely and miserable because I'm not putting on any yoga pants.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:19 AM

102,252 posts, read 108,183,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well forgive me, but having been to many many gyms in many many states for many many years and not seeing ANYTHING remotely like you describe at all (except in that crappy Presidio place), never mind with PLENTY of people, except in the Bay Area where people in general are pretty damn sedated in general, so lets just say I'm more than a little doubtful. I'm aware of what goes on around me because I've very mindful of not spending too much time on a piece of equipment as others may want to use it (aka not being rude) and what you say you experience is NOTHING like anything I've seen. Sure, as I said, people socialize at classes (before and after) be weren't talking about that, we're talking about working out where OVERWHELMINGLY people have on headphones and are focused on working out. They aren't chatting people up randomly or taking breaks between sets to get to know their freaking work out neighbors. Is a re-occurring theme with many of your posts, aka the stuff you go one about how the "average girl" never gets noticed out at that bar (sooooo not true at all, heck, the below average obese woman gets attention any day of the week at a bar).
Well, what can I say? I just know how to pick 'em. Also note that FairfaxGuy has no trouble chatting up women at gyms, either. If you're good and Santa approves you, maybe we'll give you the magic key to the Twilight Zone portal to our friendly, housewife-free and special-outfit-free gyms. Scottie beams us in several times/week. It's pretty cool.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I'm just gonna have to be lonely and miserable because I'm not putting on any yoga pants.
You could always try that Borat thing?

That would definitely bring the girls to the yard.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,480,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You could always try that Borat thing?

That would definitely bring the girls to the yard.
I'm too scared to google Borat and yoga pants...

How come nothing hit the floor when I gave that brilliant application of Buffon's Needle Problem and that witty example of Newtonian gravity?

It was way smarter than your husband's estimation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ
The minute I realized my husband could estimate (accurately) how many leagues it was from Bree to Minas Tirith, my panties hit the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx

May as well give it a shot......

[Looking you in the eye]

Did you know we can estimate the number PI by essentially counting the number times a needle crosses horizontal straight lines when tossed onto a sheet of paper?

[Looking at the floor]

[Looking back in your eyes]

Did you know that a highly accurate theory of gravity states that objects are attracted as a function of their masses and distance between, and that if a solar-massed black hole the size of your thumb instantaneously took the place of our Sun that the earth's orbit would be unchanged? (big grin)

[Looking back down at the floor......]

Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 AM

45,541 posts, read 60,771,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There are men who take yoga FYI.

But the women who take yoga are finely tuned to suss out horndogs.
Yeah. The women I know who do yoga (including Mrs. NBP) would cut someone who made a move on them in class high wide and deep and then roll them up in a carpet.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
I'm too scared to google Borat and yoga pants...

How come nothing hit the floor when I gave that brilliant application of Buffon's Needle Problem and that witty example of Newtonian gravity?

It was way smarter than your husband's estimation
They did, I picked them back up since then.

p.s. Google Borat swimsuit.

Seriously, intelligent IS sexy, if it's not pompous-intelligent. I'll say this from a distance as a married woman, THIS is how to "do" smart. Not by rattling off a bunch of data...but by rattling off something and then being playful about it.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,447,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's not just you. I go to several gyms here in D.C. and when I go at the peak time (usually try to avoid it), between 4 and 6:30 p.m. I can usually count the number of people who don't have earphones/earbuds on one hand. It's been similar in other cities I've lived also. I don't do the classes, I usually am on elliptical/stairmaster and free weights/nautilus, and nearly everyone is very focused on the workout and are not interested in socializing. I still don't believe a gym is a proper place for this, but people can do whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships