Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:40 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you aware that some yoga instructors are men? They tend to be pretty popular with the ladies, too. Not that that's a good thing, necessarily. Some of them take advantage of the situation. But the point is, that its not unusual for men to be into yoga, nor is it unusual to eventually develop some rapport with other yoga students.

But if you're the shy type, it probably wouldn't work, because meeting people requires that you come out of your shell, and stop inventing excuses for staying in your shell. ("Women don't want to be approached at the gym". "Women don't want to be approached at the grocery store." "Women will think I"m a creep." "Maybe I am creep?" "Aww, it's hopeless. Nobody's gonna want to talk to me, anyhow.")

This is not the way to win at Life, OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
That's the long and the short of it really. For some men anywhere is a good place to meet women, for other men nowhere is. It all comes down to attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
For me it's always been about the reaction of the other person.

If someone approaches me and begins a conversation in controlled environment I generally am very social. However, if someone looks stand offish I generally will not initiate.

I think that is a natural reaction for most people. If OP is in a certain part of the country where people tend to be stand offish then that is not conducive to socialization and meeting new Women in general. This is why I'm big on relocation if it's just not working in your locale. When I lived in Philly a while back I virtually found no Women attractive or easy to get along with unless they were from abroad. Something about the local PA Women were just very off putting. Back home in NY I never had any issues either before or after that. That being said I am born and raised in NY.
Quote:
I think I get what you mean. When I lived in Colorado I found people to be very open and willing to meet new people but in New England people seem to me to be a bit more cliquish. In NE most women you go out with are either people you know or people who know people you know, or at least that was the case for me. The only exception would be college bars since a lot of the girls were from out of town, or townie girls coming in to the city specifically looking for some "fun". In Colorado women would approach me and start conversations. I think it's because you get a lot more transplants there. Everybody didn't grow up together or even if they did they were used to new people coming and going all the time.
I used to live in Colorado, and I never noticed "women would approach me and start conversations." Has the social atmosphere changed in Colorado since I lived there, and women in Colorado are now more likely to approach men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,758,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I used to live in Colorado, and I never noticed "women would approach me and start conversations." Has the social atmosphere changed in Colorado since I lived there, and women in Colorado are now more likely to approach men?
Are you tall?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,011,890 times
I apologize. I thought you were being a teensy bit sarcastic, as if I was being Captain Obvious. My bad.

Now I'll go ahead and read the post right above that one, like I should have originally.

Quote:
"Trite"?! Why would you think I thought your post was trite? That's a very odd interpretation of my post. You have no idea how rare your "common-sense approach" to gym socializing is on this forum. It was very refreshing to see, and definitely warranted highlighting. My post right above that one should have made it clear to you, that I agree with you wholeheartedly on all points. Odd that you didn't understand that, either.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,903,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Weird that you find the only gyms where people go not to work out and that don't have earphones in. Must just be a California thing in general. It's the only place I've seen it, that and "outfits" for the gym being more important than doing the work outs.

Young people exercising without headphones. College students without headphones. Right.
I go to an "old people gym," and most people have on headphones. A few people are reading on the treadmill. In the circuit area, fewer people have headphones. But definitely in the cardio area it is about 85% headphone wearing.

In the weights are it is maybe 50% headphones.I just assume the non-headphone seared haven't found good bluetooth ones.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM

477 posts, read 276,980 times
Quote:
("Women don't want to be approached at the gym".
"I'm here to work out, not have guys hit on me!" (pout)

Quote:
"Women don't want to be approached at the grocery store."
"Can't a woman shop in peace without guys asking us out all the time?" (pout)

Quote:
"Women will think I"m a creep."
"Ewww, that ugly guy asked me out much more politely than that hot guy who asked me if I was DTF. Ugly guy is creepy!"

Quote:
This is not the way to win at Life, OP.
It's not, but what do you expect when women hold much of the cards for the first half of their lives?

Quote:
That's the long and the short of it really. For some men anywhere is a good place to meet women, for other men nowhere is. It all comes down to attitude.
It does NOT all come down to attitude. Looks and status play a huge part and to tell men they just need to be "confident" is an overly trite cop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonibananas View Post
Do you like yoga? if not, then no. Women will see you as someone just trying to meet girls. They can tell...
And what is SO terrible about being someone trying to meet women? The fact that men have to put in all this effort to get to the point of meeting women, not even to be able to ask them out on a date, but just to meet them is a stark reminder of the romantic/sexual opportunities gap between the sexes.

If you ask a man like say, Donald Trump, what he thinks of the "gender pay gap," he will probably tell you it's no big deal. He's a man and is thus supposedly not part of the "losing" side of that gap. So why should he care?

Some women can be VERY dismissive of the romantic/sexual opportunities gap, and why wouldn't they be? They're not on the "losing" side of that issue.

For women to put down men who HAVE to put in extra effort to meet women is very unfair.

Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I keep reading this from various places. Can any guys attest to the validity of this? Of course one would have to be interested in yoga in the first place or it wouldn't work. But regardless, I'm still skeptical. I'd imagine it would be similar to going to the gym. I workout all the time and the gym seems off limits to meeting women. So I'd imagine with yoga it would be the same. You would go do your yoga and then afterwards everyone would just go there separate way? I would think any guy at a yoga class would stick out like a sore thumb. They would appear like they are there just to pick up women.

I think college/class is the #1 place to meet women. I regret not taking advantage of it when I was younger.

Well I can use the same logic for a college class that you have used for the yoga class. For example: "In college, women are too young, they have no idea what they want. They are all stressed out/super busy with multiple classes, tons of homework/projects and part time jobs. After class, no one talks and they just run to the next class/job.

I have to say that I unfortunately used that "logic" so successfully in college that I barely dated in all four years..."

Old 07-06-2018, 03:24 PM

20,403 posts, read 14,689,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I live in Colorado Springs. People are pretty nice here, compared to a lot of places, especially the east coast. More casually friendly. But even as an extroverted woman who just likes to chit-chat, I still get occasions where strangers will give me that "why is that woman talking to me, this is weird, stop it" vibe. And I just leave 'em alone then. Not everybody wants to talk. *shrug*

As to your question, it likely depends on where you're at, what you're doing, how approachable you make yourself. I've been in groups where making new friends was a breeze, and I've gone into situations where people were cliqueish and socially cold, too. I went to this concert thing at a club in Denver called The Church, which is actually in a former church building, really cool place. I wanted to enjoy myself and I really did try, but it was "the goth scene" up there and people acted like elitist snobs. I spotted a transwoman wearing a latex necklace made by the same artist as the one I was wearing, which is both rare and very cool, and tried to chat her up about it, and she seemed downright offended, either that I was talking to her, or that I had the nerve to be a second person wearing the same artist's work, at the same event she was at, I don't really know. It's strange for me to go to something like that and not leave with new friends, but *shrug*...different groups are different, I guess.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:46 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
I apologize. I thought you were being a teensy bit sarcastic, as if I was being Captain Obvious. My bad.

Now I'll go ahead and read the post right above that one, like I should have originally.
Common sense is very far from obvious, to our typical male poster on this forum. I hope you stick around to share more of your common sense with the lost souls here.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:16 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,039,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well I can use the same logic for a college class that you have used for the yoga class. For example: "In college, women are too young, they have no idea what they want. They are all stressed out/super busy with multiple classes, tons of homework/projects and part time jobs. After class, no one talks and they just run to the next class/job.

I have to say that I unfortunately used that "logic" so successfully in college that I barely dated in all four years..."
Yeah, doesn't make sense when the world of college should be the BEST 4 years of your life as a single man when it comes to the dating life. That's the best time to get a wife, too. I recall my classmates hooking up and getting married around graduation time.

If anyone is available to date, it's people in college...and they didn't use this 'I'm busy with classes" bull crap. People had time to socialize, in fact, it was the best time to socialize.

After graduation, you're social life drops off a cliff steeply.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:00 AM

207 posts, read 108,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I keep reading this from various places. Can any guys attest to the validity of this? Of course one would have to be interested in yoga in the first place or it wouldn't work. But regardless, I'm still skeptical. I'd imagine it would be similar to going to the gym. I workout all the time and the gym seems off limits to meeting women. So I'd imagine with yoga it would be the same. You would go do your yoga and then afterwards everyone would just go there separate way? I would think any guy at a yoga class would stick out like a sore thumb. They would appear like they are there just to pick up women.

I think college/class is the #1 place to meet women. I regret not taking advantage of it when I was younger.

Women go to yoga clubs because they don't want to be harassed, and you guys still troll every place women go to, trying to get laid
Quote:

Are you seriously telling me that in 4 years of college no woman ever approached you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships