Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:10 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,719,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnit View Post
There's a 21 year age gap between me and my wife. Some people are ok with it but there are a lot of people who really have a major problem and seem to want to let their opinion be known even when it's really not welcome. It's becoming very irritating. I just wanted some advice on how to deal with this.
Are you newly married? Time usually takes care of this.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:23 PM

9,397 posts, read 7,039,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydnit View Post
There's a 21 year age gap between me and my wife. Some people are ok with it but there are a lot of people who really have a major problem and seem to want to let their opinion be known even when it's really not welcome. It's becoming very irritating. I just wanted some advice on how to deal with this.

Tell them where to go and how to get there!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:54 PM

48,641 posts, read 35,125,318 times
It would be extremely rude for people to comment spontaneously on your relationship. I would tell them "We are happy, I suggest you spend your time and energy on your own relationships."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,402,699 times
I get it. You're collecting c-d forum user names. You post some pot-stirring post, then log on with your other accounts and give yourself rep points! Clever! Do you reply too?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:04 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,671,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Hmmm. I remember a guy here on the city forums talking about his much younger girlfriend, and some issues he was having with her.

Most people kind of made fun of him, for dating a girl so young, and she was just with him for the money and security, and so on and so forth.

But you know, at the end of the day, all that matters is; Are you and your wife happy? Yes? Then just say "We're happy" smile, and walk away. You're probably going to have to draw your lines in the sand at some point. If people are going to give you crap, they get one warning, and then you put them on ice.
My GF and I got together when she was 17 and I was 28, which of course raised a lot of eyebrows but I didn’t care then and I don’t care now. We are still happily together after 7 years and about to be engaged. As you get older especially it starts to matter less. It’s more awkward at the start I think but after people know you two are serious it shouldn’t be a big issue I think.

Obviously like whatever poster you’re talking about I have the money in the relationship but that hasn’t ever bothered me to be generous and support her dreams and now she makes her own money. It’s nice to be taken to dinner sometimes too!

Old 08-17-2018, 05:41 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,924,071 times
Americans will always have a problem with age gaps. In other cultures there may be an initial shock (if it's the reverse, the Wife being older) but eventually they get over it.

Americans love drama over trivial things. Distance yourself from those individuals they are not your friends (even if they say they are) and if they are family then skip Thanksgiving this year.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:00 AM

369 posts, read 328,056 times
No experience in this type of relationship. Ignore the ignorant but, do be cognizant that as you both age there will be a very difficult end of life program ahead for both of you. More complex than same age final years.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:20 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,713,407 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I would assume he's the younger one. With a 21 age gap, one of them must be over 40. And most people, past age 40 don't care so much about what other people think. So the poster comes across as young. You get to a point in life where you realize that opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one and a lot of them stink (note, the real analogy isn't belly buttons, but this is a PG forum).

And if you do care, you have to learn to grow a thicker skin. Growing a thicker skin will 1) make it so this stuff doesn't bother you in the first place and 2) make it so it's boring for people to tease you with this kind of stuff because most people do it to get your goat.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-18-2018 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 08:43 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,205,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I would assume he's the younger one.
I would as well, since older men who date the (as told on CD) much more socially valuable young women get back slaps and attaboys in public, while a young man who would deign to spend time with a supposedly much less socially valuable older woman would obviously need to be viewed with concern and pity.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:54 PM

11,141 posts, read 6,735,753 times
Our neighbor here is 65 and married 3 years now to a 30y/o Filipina. She thinks other women are unkind to her but I keep reassuring her they are just jealous. I feel bad for her with all us retirement folks and no one her age. But she kinda lives on her phone....so. She's good for him---keeps him in shape, hair dyed, etc.

I think in her culture, it's not uncommon to have a much older man....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships