Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,196,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well it’s happened to me twice and I didn’t make a scene. Why make a scene? It’s not like I can’t pay for my own stuff.
And if your date paid and walked, you wouldn't want to see them again anyway.

Actually I've never discussed who pays until the check arrives. You're just opting for Dutch* when most of your dates probably already expected that.

I'm glad this has never happened to me. I've liked all my first dates (well one was 'iffy') even the ones where we weren't mutually attracted. I enjoy meeting new people, and meeting my opposite gender is even better.

* I had a friend once, who lives in Amsterdam. I asked him about the expression, "dating Dutch," and he said the term is not known in the Netherlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM

29,780 posts, read 34,541,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

* I had a friend once, who lives in Amsterdam. I asked him about the expression, "dating Dutch," and he said the term is not known in the Netherlands.
Because it's a slur that the English used to insult the Dutch a few centuries ago--a "Dutch treat" is where you pay for yourself, not where your host treats you (a slam on Dutch cheapness.) Similarly "Dutch courage" refers to only being brave when drunk, i.e not brave.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,049,266 times
Quote:
A woman who talks on her phone or spends time texting on a date with me would be our last date. That's just damned rude.
Sorry, I didn't phrase that right I guess. Before we met in person, we had talked on the phone and then, she was chatty. When I met her in person, she was immediately barely talkative.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because it's a slur that the English used to insult the Dutch a few centuries ago--a "Dutch treat" is where you pay for yourself, not where your host treats you (a slam on Dutch cheapness.) Similarly "Dutch courage" refers to only being brave when drunk, i.e not brave.
Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense to me. I'm sure the Dutch would rather forget it, and evidently that's the case. — I did enjoy my visit to Amsterdam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Sorry, I didn't phrase that right I guess. Before we met in person, we had talked on the phone and then, she was chatty. When I met her in person, she was immediately barely talkative.
But she didn't slight you by playing with her phone excessively?

It's interesting that almost everybody is looking for a match who has a good sense of humor. If a person is not chatty then they failed that. My dates have to be chatty or they're not worth dating them. I don't wanna watch somebody just shovel in food.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:44 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,774,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
Yeah, the last time I went on a date, it was a Japanese restaurant. I ordered a single 15 dollar dish, and she orders around 2 dishes, and 2 or 3 sides with "extra wasabi", just pointin' at crap on diff. parts of the menu. Total turn off. Worse yet, she would barely converse with me, she was a major talker on the phone, but could barely get a word out of her at the restaurant. It all added up to around 50 bucks. Her meal was twice the amount of mines.

Didn't even get a thank you from her. This was the first time I thought a woman was just trying to get a free meal.
I would really hope a grown women would not need to depend on someone she just met in order to eat dinner.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:54 PM

16,959 posts, read 17,402,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I would really hope a grown women would not need to depend on someone she just met in order to eat dinner.
I'm glad most adult working women dont need a man to feed them. These 'dinner whores' we constantly hear about only exist on the internet. A lot of guys still dont get it when it comes to food/entertainment and women. Its not really the food or the tab.....never mind, Lol. Im going to keep these guys guessing.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,484,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Well it’s happened to me twice and I didn’t make a scene. Why make a scene? It’s not like I can’t pay for my own stuff.
Well unless you were being rude to him, I would have considered that rude.

If a man feels strongly about going Dutch (which is his right), then he should say so at beginning of date or before. Otherwise he's just being a #*### for no reason.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
If a man feels strongly about going Dutch (which is his right), then he should say so at beginning of date or before. Otherwise he's just being a #*### for no reason.
Please make up a list and have places for both parties to sign the contract, at the beginning of the first date.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,484,585 times
Quote:
Please make up a list and have places for both parties to sign the contract, at the beginning of the first date.
OLD profile; not rocket science.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,658,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Well unless you were being rude to him, I would have considered that rude.

I thought asking for separate checks was cheap and tacky because I would’ve offered to pay my own way anyway even if everything had been put on one check, but whatever. In one situation, my portion of the bill was about $10 and in the other situation, I’m sure it was less than $15. But these guys wanted to make sure I paid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships