Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 AM

2,066 posts, read 901,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Ooops. That's what I always say. Next time I will get deep voice and go: Look here little lady (pulling pants up like 90 year old grandpa), I SAID were going to Golden Corral and that's FINAL.

"Before 5:30 so I can get the early bird special"

"And I have a coupon for a free drink"

Gads, memories of my dear departed Mom and Dad ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Not getting huffy. I just can't have fun in a country & western club. If I'm paying I should have a say. But most of the time, my dates paid for me; I usually only dated successful men who had no issues pulling out their wallet.
So you should NOT "have a say" and do something you don't want to do and will have no fun at because someone else is paying? Sounds like what you want is the wallet.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
*sigh*

And once again I'm thinking of "How do I spell out something that I usually just DO without giving it a second thought?"

Somehow these things are really never a big deal in real life, I didn't have to pick it apart and really think about what my rules were, until I was talking about it here. I did, as it turns out, have some "rules" of behavior...I just didn't even realize it because it all kinda flowed along naturally.

I'm a picky eater. I can usually find something to eat, most places that I go, but there are a few places where I have my doubts and I'd really rather not deal with it. It makes me anxious, and I know some people get really judgy about someone who is picky enough to flat out refuse any kind of food. Somehow in childhood I was supposed to learn to eat anything and everything and convincingly pretend I liked it even when I didn't? Because somewhere in a third world country, people are starving? I dunno. But the lesson missed me.

I don't want to go to the Thai place, the Indian place or the Greek place, no. I question if I can get something with no veggies, no strong rich or spicy sauces, etc. But anywhere that I can conceivably order some basic thing...even various kinds of Asian cuisine where most of it normally has lots of veggies I won't eat, I can usually order JUST some kind of teriyaki sauced meat and white rice. So there will be only a few "hard nope" type places...but I generally will go along to get along otherwise.

I really, almost always, would rather someone else tell me where we are going. Even as picky as I can be. I am rarely in a particular mood for a particular thing, and I have to usually make myself eat, because I don't celebrate food, don't need a lot, don't eat a lot, I rarely have cravings and when I do it's usually for something so inconvenient I'll never get what I want, when I want it. Please for the love of god just tell me where you want to go, I'll figure something out when we get there.

But a guy does get "points" for finding a place with cool atmosphere or something, on a date. Oddly the wealthiest man I ever dated only ever wanted to eat at Perkins. Even after we got food that wasn't even good, he didn't seem to want to go anywhere else. I never really understood that.

The only "input" I need is that there are just a few things that don't interest me much. Outside of those, I do prefer that the guy pick. Though if I have an idea in mind, I'll speak up. But usually...just like the "who is paying" question...all of this just happens more or less in a natural kind of way. This forum is the only place where we're dissecting it under a microscope.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh*

And once again I'm thinking of "How do I spell out something that I usually just DO without giving it a second thought?"

Somehow these things are really never a big deal in real life, I didn't have to pick it apart and really think about what my rules were, until I was talking about it here. I did, as it turns out, have some "rules" of behavior...I just didn't even realize it because it all kinda flowed along naturally.

I'm a picky eater. I can usually find something to eat, most places that I go, but there are a few places where I have my doubts and I'd really rather not deal with it. It makes me anxious, and I know some people get really judgy about someone who is picky enough to flat out refuse any kind of food. Somehow in childhood I was supposed to learn to eat anything and everything and convincingly pretend I liked it even when I didn't? Because somewhere in a third world country, people are starving? I dunno. But the lesson missed me.
That made me literally laugh out loud. Flip side of that feeding weirdness (my parents were the same) is that I can choke down any and all nasty stuff with a smile. I joke to my kids that I would have no trouble eating at Buckingham Palace if they ever invite me.

I was with extended family when I was a young teen. We were fed liver and onions. I mean, aside from who does that, my poor cousin was in a state. And her mom, my aunt, was mortified. I was able to choke done a reasonable dinner's worth. Thanks Mom and Dad!!

Quote:
I don't want to go to the Thai place, the Indian place or the Greek place, no. I question if I can get something with no veggies, no strong rich or spicy sauces, etc. But anywhere that I can conceivably order some basic thing...even various kinds of Asian cuisine where most of it normally has lots of veggies I won't eat, I can usually order JUST some kind of teriyaki sauced meat and white rice. So there will be only a few "hard nope" type places...but I generally will go along to get along otherwise.
No veggies?? I am sorry for you loss expressed in that entire paragraph!!

Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM

2,066 posts, read 901,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
No veggies?? I am sorry for you loss expressed in that entire paragraph!!

If Sonic is talking about water chestnuts and those little ears of corn, then I am with her 100%

Old 08-09-2019, 01:34 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
No, I'm bad, seriously, the list of foods I will not eat is longer than the list that I will.

Ha! Tie in to dating. The couple I was poly with? Both foodies. And they were convinced that I was gonna fall over any minute if they didn't get some "healthy" food into me. They tried to trick me, like I was a little kid... First I was invited over for spaghetti & meatballs. The "meatballs" were a shell of meat surrounding a center of spinach. The noodles were not noodles. They were zucchini. The hell? Good thing I brought bread! Another time I was given what I was told was mashed potatoes. It was in fact pureed cauliflower. Seriously people, I can tell. lol

We were at a kink convention a few weekends ago, there was a guy who had a lady on a table during one of the party events, and he was beating her with food. Like a big ol' handful of some kind of leafy vegetable stalks. Bits flying everywhere. He was dressed as a chef, too, with a big ol' hat and all. It was hilarious. And sure enough, the woman I described in the above story, yeah, she said "Did you see that? I've actually thought about doing something similar to you, many times." I was like, "I'm sure. That's what I was thinking when I saw it. Oh no...<she> is gonna get ideas!"

But in fact I'm perfectly healthy. I make up for the lack of veggies in other ways, like beans, supplemental vitamins...my weight and bloodwork and all is just fine. I've told her, she's got nothing to worry about. I personally question if her constant adoption of elimination diets like no sugar, no carbs, etc and the stress she seems to put herself through with all that, isn't maybe even worse. I dunno.

Tell you what though. Good thing vegans and vegetarians will always let you know who they are pretty fast. I could not date one, nothing against 'em but it would be an issue. Not that I eat a ton of meat, but I don't want to cut anything off my already-limited menu.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
If Sonic is talking about water chestnuts and those little ears of corn, then I am with her 100%
I am a vegetarian, but I don't care for too many of those water chestnuts and little ears of corn in Chinese food. It's cheap filler veggies and they come out of a can. I've noticed they rarely put much broccoli in unless it's the stalk parts. Not enough snow peas. I stopped eating at Chinese restaurants for this reason.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:05 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Probably because a lot of people, it seems, are chat junkies. They are more tied up in their fantasies than actually doing anything in real life. Now why people are so much in a hurry, who knows.

Me, I like to talk with people for a while because in talking, I get to figure how safe they are. And then, of course, we meet in public somewhere.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
No, I'm bad, seriously, the list of foods I will not eat is longer than the list that I will.

Ha! Tie in to dating. The couple I was poly with? Both foodies. And they were convinced that I was gonna fall over any minute if they didn't get some "healthy" food into me. They tried to trick me, like I was a little kid... First I was invited over for spaghetti & meatballs. The "meatballs" were a shell of meat surrounding a center of spinach. The noodles were not noodles. They were zucchini. The hell? Good thing I brought bread! Another time I was given what I was told was mashed potatoes. It was in fact pureed cauliflower. Seriously people, I can tell. lol
Not very good foodies. We went to Thanksgiving at my family years ago. My eldest brother was on a severe carb restricted diet. By means of support and solidarity there were no carb heavy foods at the meal. My son scarfed the mashed potatoes down like they were mana from heaven. Until his cousin told him they were caulifower.

Joking aside, trying to trick you is mean. Not A Fan At All.

The little bits you mention of your poly couple do not fill me will the warm and fuzzies, I have to say.

Quote:
We were at a kink convention a few weekends ago, there was a guy who had a lady on a table during one of the party events, and he was beating her with food. Like a big ol' handful of some kind of leafy vegetable stalks. Bits flying everywhere. He was dressed as a chef, too, with a big ol' hat and all. It was hilarious. And sure enough, the woman I described in the above story, yeah, she said "Did you see that? I've actually thought about doing something similar to you, many times." I was like, "I'm sure. That's what I was thinking when I saw it. Oh no...<she> is gonna get ideas!"

But in fact I'm perfectly healthy. I make up for the lack of veggies in other ways, like beans, supplemental vitamins...my weight and bloodwork and all is just fine. I've told her, she's got nothing to worry about. I personally question if her constant adoption of elimination diets like no sugar, no carbs, etc and the stress she seems to put herself through with all that, isn't maybe even worse. I dunno.

Tell you what though. Good thing vegans and vegetarians will always let you know who they are pretty fast. I could not date one, nothing against 'em but it would be an issue. Not that I eat a ton of meat, but I don't want to cut anything off my already-limited menu.
I have a niece who calls herself vegetarian. Nothing but PASTA.

You are fine. Your doc says you are fine. Glad you don't let other people get up in your stuff about it.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:47 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Ooops. That's what I always say. Next time I will get deep voice and go: Look here little lady (pulling pants up like 90 year old grandpa), I SAID were going to Golden Corral and that's FINAL.
I would go to the Golden Corral with the right person, I happen to love buffets!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
"Before 5:30 so I can get the early bird special"

"And I have a coupon for a free drink"

Gads, memories of my dear departed Mom and Dad ...
None of that. I don't even care if we get there after happy hour, I'll pay for a little quiet and less crowding.
I did, however, present my postcard coupon for $10 off of dinner for 2 that comes to over $50. Great new restaurant, the mail made me do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships