Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
General themes I'm seeing here.

Let a man pay for everything:

She's letting him be a man
she's being controlled
she's being a freeloader
he's being a gentleman
he's being a push over
he/she's being traditional.

Woman offers to or pays half:

She's being considerate of the man's finances
she's not truly interested
she's trying too hard to assert her independence
he's cheap
he's not a real man, etc.

Can't seem to win or lose, so just do what you want.
I agree. Especially men can’t win it seems. So much suspicion and discontent today on everything. I still think it’s great and OP should enjoy it and treat him once in a while and leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 09:26 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airekaaah View Post
My boyfriend insists on paying for almost everything. I feel really bad because I don’t expect him to be the one paying all the time. The last three weekend trips we had, I booked the room and paid since I should at least pay for some of the expenses. And yet he still asks me how much I paid so he can pay for it. I told him it’s fine and that I am okay spending since it’s only fair. Question is do guys like spending money on their girlfriends? Do you think that a guy should always pay in a relationship? Thoughts?

P.S. I had my car broken into recently and my windows were busted. Boyfriend took care of everything and paid for the repairs. He was the one insisted even though he didn’t have to.

Why do you feel bad, if he is offering.....unless he can't afford it? Then ita you should feel bad.....

It's Ok if your Bf usually pays if he wants to & if he can afford it......BUT it's not Ok to expect it all the time IMO. Do nice things for him too....shop for & cook him a meal to surprise him or... grab the check sometimes before he can......relationships are better when they are give & take........BUT they are not always even financially. My Bf is in another world when it comes to what he makes compared to me...

Lots of men like to spend money on their Gf's tho.......at least the guys who offer do..........

Old 08-17-2019, 09:30 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Not only that, a man used to get a huge dowry from the bride's family, in exchange for letting a woman marry him. And marriage was far less unpleasant back then. Today, he's required to buy a $10,000 diamond ring just to ask a woman to marry him and relinquish his entire freedom. Which helps no one but DeBeers's CEO.
Lol...awe...you're such a romantic!

Old 08-17-2019, 11:14 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Dude, if you live like this, you only have yourself to blame. "Society" did not do this to you.
I don't live like this. I'm shrewd enough to not to go to the Illinois Wifely Correctional Facility. But a few men I know certainly live like this. A few years ago, I used to invite them to hang out after work: a drink in a bar, a hike, a workout at the gym, etc. Time and again, he'd say he has to go straight home to his wife. Ditto for weekend outings; they wouldn't go anywhere without being accompanied by their correctional officers... I mean, their wives.

It was basically my "Scared Straight" program. After seeing the cringeworthy personas my friends turned into after women came into their lives, I vowed to never let any woman get close to me until I'm old and frail, unless it's strictly as a platonic friend. I can definitely see a "D.A.R.E. to keep men off marriage" campaign in the making. Oh, wait!

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 08-17-2019 at 11:27 PM..

Old 08-17-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
I don't live like this. I'm shrewd enough to not to go to the Illinois Wifely Correctional Facility. But a few men I know certainly live like this. A few years ago, I used to invite them to hang out after work: a drink in a bar, a hike, a workout at the gym, etc. Time and again, he'd say he has to go straight home to his wife. Ditto for weekend outings; they wouldn't go anywhere without being accompanied by their correctional officers... I mean, their wives.

It was basically my "Scared Straight" program. After seeing the cringeworthy personas my friends turned into after women came into their lives, I vowed to never let any woman get close to me until I'm old and frail, unless it's strictly as a platonic friend. I can definitely see a "D.A.R.E. to keep men off marriage" campaign in the making. Oh, wait!
Sounds like you haven’t met the right woman. Not all want to smother their husbands and many do have other interests. These women sound rather needy and bored.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the tip from whomever.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:48 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about infidelity! Heck, I have no interest in sex whatsoever, with my wife or with another woman. I was talking the freedom for peace and quiet, to come and go as I please, and most importantly, to be left alone. Like, I want to hit the gym or attend my board game group after work, and leave the dirty dishes for next day, but I can't. I have to go home to my wife and wash the dishes, otherwise I'll be in the doghouse. It's like living with your parents as a kid, except that you're allowed to have sex in the house.
I'm not suggesting you personally get married, because it sounds like it's really not your jam, but it is possible to find a wife who would also like to go to board game group and who doesn't mind leaving the dishes for tomorrow, or who has her own thing she'd like to do after work and therefore doesn't care if you're off doing yours.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:54 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
it's up to you guys, work it out.

to me, it also depends on the economic situation. i make pretty good money, if the woman i was dating made near minimum wage, i'd prefer to pay almost all of the time. if we made the same money, nice if we swapped every other or whatever. but if she was a multi millionaire, then yeah it would be nice if she paid. really depends.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:00 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,559,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
General themes I'm seeing here.

Let a man pay for everything:

She's letting him be a man
she's being controlled
she's being a freeloader
he's being a gentleman
he's being a push over
he/she's being traditional.

Woman offers to or pays half:

She's being considerate of the man's finances
she's not truly interested
she's trying too hard to assert her independence
he's cheap
he's not a real man, etc.

Can't seem to win or lose, so just do what you want.
it's up to the couple to work out. in today's day and age, men can't win and normally viewed with suspicion. If he likes you, he will show it, and one of the ways he will show it is by allocating hard earned money and resources on you. Not that complicated. if the woman is someone who is logical, and can come to her own conclusions in the relationship, it's normally for the best, as opposed to relying on opinions from her female harlot friends. Women who can come to reasonable decisions herself are more respected by the man. Appreciate what he's doing and show/tell him that you appreciate it in your own ways. Use your brain, make your own conclusions instead of relying on "general themes" you're seeing on an online forum.

Last edited by rya96797; 08-18-2019 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 05:20 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
I don't live like this.
Rhetorical "you".

I am going to tell you a little secret. ONE does not have to live that way. Your friends are wimps and would be wimps regardless of what "role" they thought they were taking on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships