Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:18 AM

98 posts, read 95,225 times

Advertisements

If you are 30 years old and single, is that weird? The reason why I ask this is because I’m going to be in grad school until I’m 27, and I am not going to be in any hurry to find anyone from there. I’m going to be busy getting my career going. I also feel that there are so many things that I wanna do and so much money that I need to make before I can be with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:23 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,157,062 times
No, not at all. I've known several men who were single at that age (in most cases, they'd had previous relationships). Just my own anecdotal observation: that seems to be around the age when a lot of men who have been single or bouncing around relationships start to get that urge to settle down with "the one". So your timeline isn't unusual at all.

And of course things look different from your younger age. It's natural to want to meet a lot of different people and have a lot of different experiences. Just don't get too caught up in "money that I need to make before I can be with someone." That's just silly. Certainly it's better to not be a complete pauper when you're at an age of getting serious about relationships, but you also don't want to let a good one get away just because you think you're not financially sound enough.

Good luck with your studies!

Old 10-07-2019, 07:24 AM

787 posts, read 781,347 times
No, not at all. A lot of people put off relationships until they are well established in their careers. Some people go back to school, travel, volunteer, etc.

Sometimes you find the right person when you're not looking.

Take your time and don't rush it. I am 32 and still single.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
If you are 30 years old and single, is that weird? The reason why I ask this is because I’m going to be in grad school until I’m 27, and I am not going to be in any hurry to find anyone from there. I’m going to be busy getting my career going. I also feel that there are so many things that I wanna do and so much money that I need to make before I can be with someone.
No, not weird at all.

In terms of the putting off the relationship for a career, it's not really smart in my mind ... unless your career is a young jazz musician or something, and you're literally travelling the world.

Your odds to get the best match will improve if you're always looking for the best match.

The 'I need to make a certain amount of $ before women will date me' is somewhat true, but that's just because women are equally dumb.

So, I don't suggest you put it off. Unless of course, you are really also looking for a woman who makes XXX,XXX and has a pHd, etc, and that's the high priority, in which case ... carry on.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Here, it is.

The emphasis is on getting married early. Most of my peers were married by 25 to their high school or college sweetheart.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Here, it is.

The emphasis is on getting married early. Most of my peers were married by 25 to their high school or college sweetheart.
That's scary. I wasn't even the same person when I was 25 years old.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:44 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,115,763 times
Does it really matter what anyone else thinks? Live your life for yourself. Quit worrying so much about what everyone else is thinking or doing or not doing.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:56 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Here, it is.

I've found that people who marry young, are more likely to go through a mid-life crisis in their later years because they want to go out and date, have fun and do things they missed out on in their 20s. And of course, it won't be quite the same. I am grateful I wasn't tied down to anyone in my 20s. I had so much fun doing things that many people only dream about and I got to do them while I was still young and attractive. I had the chance to get married when I was 18 and I turned it down, because I didn't want to give the best years of my life to one person. Besides, I never saw anything romantic about "high school/college sweetheart" anyway. It's virtually meaningless to me.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbioman23 View Post
It's perfectly normal. Especially for recently-graduated grad students. What will your degree/s be in? If you can, find a job in the more progressive parts of the country, where people don't get married off by 25. There's a huge singles pool on the West Coast, in the NE, and in pockets of the SW. Colorado, too. In those places, it's not even weird to be single at 40, so you'll be in good company. Don't give this another thought, OP. Good luck with your career!

Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
Does it really matter what anyone else thinks? Live your life for yourself. Quit worrying so much about what everyone else is thinking or doing or not doing.
Wise words!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships