Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM

148 posts, read 877,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
I live by the beach... So anything like movies, dinner, etc... then heading to the beach afterwards to talk, walk, look at the waves and the stars... And whatever else you want to do. I don't know if there's a beach by you, but that's always the #1 romance spot in CA... Pitch a blanket and sit and talk all night.

Well, that's me though. I LOVE the beach at night!
Hey, that'd be real nice but I don't have a beach nearby :/ I'm in Ontario, in Canada.

Loving everyone's advice and encouragement so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 08:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,257,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slove1106 View Post
I live by the beach... So anything like movies, dinner, etc... then heading to the beach afterwards to talk, walk, look at the waves and the stars... And whatever else you want to do. I don't know if there's a beach by you, but that's always the #1 romance spot in CA... Pitch a blanket and sit and talk all night.

Well, that's me though. I LOVE the beach at night!
So do I! And I grew up by it. And I live in the desert! Can you be any more cruel on a Fri...?!

Just whining... It's a great idea!

Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 AM

58 posts, read 333,354 times
I think the downtown idea is a great idea. One of the best dates I've ever been on was with my husband, We went (not downtown) but to a little "village" of shops and just walked around and looked. We brought my min pin who was a puppy at the time and he bought me a new leash and everyone just ohhed and awwed over our little guy. We drank homemade lemonade and browsed through specialty items and gift shops, pet stores and children's book stores....lol Im a childrens book fanatic and can only estimate that I have between 15 and 25 thousand between my office and both childrens rooms. This is also the day I met his mother but I wouldn't advise that one just yet .

Another time, We were leaving out from his mothers house and heading home about 2 hrs drive, The children were crashed out in the back seat (It was 11 at night) and I saw this huge carousel all lit up, and I said "Oh wow lets go there!" growing up in a small town I never did much while growing up. So he turned around and took me, There was no one there, but us the place closed at midnight. We got Free parking because the ticket lady was gone by the time we left. And Free Carousel rides I think we went like 3 times and inside was a restaurant and the walls (or most of) were made of salt water fish tanks and we just walked around and around and looked at fish. We were leaving out when the manager ran across us and said he had to close up but to come see something.....he took us into this room and whoosh these two beautiful white tigers came running at us, they were behind glass but I was just in awww....This has to be the single most beautiful moment in my life, It was just us so no noise no distraction....I pressed my hands against the glass and just watched. The female just kept looking at me through the glass like 2 inches from my face.....And to top it off there was a horse and buggy waiting outside that took us for a ride downtown (for a fee of course) And on the way home we got a speeding ticket .

Top choice for you right now......I would have to say The Zoo. Or the Imax maybe.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 AM

13,618 posts, read 21,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaroscuro View Post
Take a tip from another thread, and just say "Wanna f**k?" It seems to have worked for some people.
well..........fact is when I was in my late 20's I met a woman in her 40's and while I'm not normally that cocky I was in rare mode that night and after a short conversation I did say that ,surprised at myself right after that I did but guess what??????????

But what you mentioned sounds good,coffee or a walk downtown,or by the ocean if you are close to one.Different people have different likes or dislikes in the end but.

Personally I like simple stuff hopefully a woman I meet does also,I like downing a few oysters on a half shell with a beer or 2,shoot darts or pool.

I've done the movie or fancy dinner thing before and it kind of sucks for a first date thing to me,you can't talk and for dinner dining going all fancy may spoil her too fast too soon setting up a bad standard of expectations.

You know what I have always wanted to on a date because I want to,horseback riding but I don't know jack about riding.

Even if I was a multi millionaire I wouldn't dress up in a suit or tux and take her to some unbelievably expensive place ,it just seems so gold digging superficial to me.

Comedy clubs are cool though,nothing like laughter to open things up.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,237,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuri View Post
I'm a university student and I've had an eye on a girl in one of my classes since mid-semester. I have found myself chatting with her on many occasions during class late in the semester. The semester is now done and I'll have one last opportunity to see her at the exam next week at which point I would like to ask her out on a date.

Where is a good place to go on a first date for someone in my situation?

I was thinking of just going for a walk in our downtown area and perhaps try out a nice dessert & coffee shop in the market area? Is this a good idea?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks,
Someplace fun. Someplace with your friends around, like a festival, a concert, or a party. Someplace where all the pressure isn't on you or her.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:11 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,852,941 times
I had never talked to her, but I couldn't help but notice her. She was about 20, cute, petite, smart, but a little strange. She always wore silk scarves around her neck.

I ran into her between classes at the coffee vending machine. The change machine was broken so she asked if I had change for a dollar. I didn't, but I said that I thought the cafeteria was still open and we could go over there and get a cup of coffee.

We stayed at the cafeteria talking until they closed up and kicked us out. We missed our next class.

That was our first date and the beginning of a journey together that has lasted for 40 years.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 AM

11,402 posts, read 24,498,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuri View Post

I was thinking of just going for a walk in our downtown area and perhaps try out a nice dessert & coffee shop in the market area? Is this a good idea?
I also think this is a good idea. I prefer casual activity dates over sitting someplace eating overpriced food or stuck in a movie side by side with no opportunity to interact. Save those for later.

A walk around downtown allows so many options. And the fact that it is a semi-public date will allow her to feel more relaxed and less on the spot.

Sounds like you have good instincts about dating and both of you will have a great time.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,939,682 times
Your idea is good. Dessert/coffee shop is great for a 1st date. It keeps things casual (less stressful) and gives either of you a non-awkward option to cut the night off short if things are not going well or to continue to a more "interactive" date, such as going to a billiards hall.

Do not go to a fancy/formal restaurant on the 1st date. And please do not do a movie on the 1st date. I made this mistake when I was young(er).

Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:45 AM

58 posts, read 333,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Your idea is good. Dessert/coffee shop is great for a 1st date. It keeps things casual (less stressful) and gives either of you a non-awkward option to cut the night off short if things are not going well or to continue to a more "interactive" date, such as going to a billiards hall.

Do not go to a fancy/formal restaurant on the 1st date. And please do not do a movie on the 1st date. I made this mistake when I was young(er).

Good luck and have fun!

Totally agree DO NOT go to a movie. One time when I was in high school a guy took me to a movie and then he wanted to hold hands, but I didn't and then I felt awkward that I had to even be sitting by him for so long and the movie was a bomb and it was 3 hrs long! I couldn't have felt more suffacated if a pillow was over my face....ugh.......

Sorry I suggested the Imax earlier....I take it back

Old 04-20-2008, 01:43 AM

1,009 posts, read 2,212,558 times
Movies are a bad idea. Once when I was 15 I went to a movie with a girl, I met her at the lake, it was my very first date and she was way out of my league. Accidentally, after the movie just started, I had something in my throat so I coughed really hard, causing me to bust a totally loud fart. It couldn't have been a half-fart that would be covered up by the cough. No, both my buttcheeks were squeezed together, and it had to sound like starting a chainsaw in a bathroom. I wasn't looking but I wouldn't be surprised if she jumped. Talk about shoot myself in the face. Neither of us said anything to eachother during the whole movie or acknowledged eachother, when it was over walking out of there with her was pure hell. My mom picked us up because I didn't have a drivers permit yet, we sat in the backseat and didn't say a word, my mom kept trying to get us to talk about stuff and I wanted to jump out the car door on the freeway, and end my young life as a flying ragdoll. Better than dealing with the shame.

So just from that one incident and being forced to sit next to someone for two hours, I will never invite a chick to a movie again. Not unless we are dating for a while and embarassment between us doesn't happen anymore. But seriously, I think that scarred me for life. I am so damn careful when I cough or sneeze now, even if I'm not around anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships