Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It is a "them" problem.

I've long suspected that the people who can't get dates doing OLD are probably unattractive in some way. They are in the bottom of the dating barrel. They wouldn't be able to score in a bar either.

So they come here and say the OLD is for desperate people, losers, etc. and generally criticize anyone who dates this way. And they say stupid things like "it doesn't work". Doesn't work for who? It obviously works for some people. Just because it doesn't work for them doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.
This word, all by itself, makes some people's head explode. The assume you mean that they don't look like a movie star. For me and people I talk with, the leading cause of unattractive is behavior. Always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 09:48 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
It is a "them" problem.

I've long suspected that the people who can't get dates doing OLD are probably unattractive in some way. They are in the bottom of the dating barrel. They wouldn't be able to score in a bar either.

So they come here and say the OLD is for desperate people, losers, etc. and generally criticize anyone who dates this way. And they say stupid things like "it doesn't work". Doesn't work for who? It obviously works for some people. Just because it doesn't work for them doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone.
I don't agree with this. I think the swipe culture has ruined it. I never had a problem before these apps came out. Now its just a bunch of flakiness and people always looking for something better.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:49 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This word, all by itself, makes some people's head explode. The assume you mean that they don't look like a movie star. For me and people I talk with, the leading cause of unattractive is behavior. Always.

So true. Well, behavior and interpersonal connection and chemistry.

One of the biggest pet peeves I have with the discussion on this forum is the use of "attractive" for being synonymous with "objectively good looking". I'm sure to some people they are synonyms IRL, but not for many people I know.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I don't agree with this. I think the swipe culture has ruined it. I never had a problem before these apps came out. Now its just a bunch of flakiness and people always looking for something better.
That's why you have to start weeding through them really fast. People were flaky back in the 90s. I remember that well.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:52 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What I mean by unattractive isn't necessarily in terms of looks. I mean, the whole package is unattractive to potential partners. Usually that includes behavior, too. Poor social skills is a big one. Also, bitter attitude. Insecurity. A guy who lied on his profile saying he was 5'10, he showed up and he was 5'5. That told me he was insecure. There is also the Baseball Cap. Used to hide a balding head. Especially if they wear the baseball cap constantly, anywhere and everywhere, and never take it off. I would date bald or balding men but wouldn't date a man who wears a stupid baseball cap everywhere.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
What I mean by unattractive isn't necessarily in terms of looks. I mean, the whole package is unattractive to potential partners. Usually that includes behavior, too. Poor social skills is a big one. Also, bitter attitude. Insecurity. A guy who lied on his profile saying he was 5'10, he showed up and he was 5'5.
This always makes me laugh. Did you think we would not notice that you are short (which I actually don't care about) AND that you lied??

Quote:
That told me he was insecure.
Oh. And A LIAR.

Quote:
There is also the Baseball Cap. Used to hide a balding head. Especially if they wear the baseball cap constantly, anywhere and everywhere, and never take it off. I would date bald or balding men but wouldn't date a man who wears a stupid baseball cap everywhere.
Amen, sister. I actually like bald.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:13 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
It is a "them" problem.

Don’t current statistics show that 40% of couples meet online? So, it obviously works for a number of people. That statistic accurately reflects my social circle.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:15 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Don’t current statistics show that 40% of couples meet online? So, it obviously works for a number of people. That statistic accurately reflects my social circle.
It would be interesting to see how that breaks out on paid sites (Match and Eharmony) vs non paid ones OKC, POF, and the apps. My guess is most have met on the paid ones and there's not as many marriages as a percentage of online as there was say 10 years ago.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:21 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
It would be interesting to see how that breaks out on paid sites (Match and Eharmony) vs non paid ones OKC, POF, and the apps. My guess is most have met on the paid ones and there's not as many marriages as a percentage of online as there was say 10 years ago.
Most of my friends met their spouses on PoF and OKC. I didn’t care for Match and never bothered with eHarmony. OKC worked phenomenally well for me.

One-third of marriages started with meeting on a dating site. These stats were from several years ago before apps, however.

I met my husband and two previous boyfriends on OKC. My husband met all but one girlfriend on OKC.

And it goes without saying that region/location plays a big factor in one’s overall dating pool. So you’re basing much of your observations on a multitude of factors that vary from person to person.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Most of my friends met their spouses on PoF and OKC. I didn’t care for Match and never bothered with eHarmony. OKC worked phenomenally well for me.

One-third of marriages started with meeting on a dating site. These stats were from several years ago before apps, however.

I met my husband and two previous boyfriends on OKC. My husband met all but one girlfriend on OKC.

And it goes without saying that region/location plays a big factor in one’s overall dating pool. So you’re basing much of your observations on a multitude of factors that vary from person to person.

Been to two OKC and one FL coupled wedding in the past year, a grindr and bumble wedding coming up. Only know one couple from Match and that was over 10 years ago. OLD couples definitely seem more common that IRL couples and have been for a decade among the people I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships