Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 11:43 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think a lot of people are looking for the best deal they can get, only, that is often unrealistic for them.
I think a lot of people are always on the hunt thinking they can get a better deal. Because the unlimited supply of singles in the internet makes them think they have unlimited options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 11:51 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
I've talked about bounded rationality before.....I think both "methods" are flawed when it comes to dating or comes with a potential cost. It's either, you settle with someone that gives you just enough of what you want but you never truly feel satisfied or you keep looking for that illusive "right one" and potentially be alone for the rest of your life. You pick your poison. Most people pick partners based on their circumstances (what's available, proximity, who's the best out of that particular bunch for them, cognitive limits; I.E: bounded rationality). Those relationships don't come with a guarantee they'll last as long as you want and most end up splitting anyway. But I guess people feel that's better than being perpetually single....meh.....you just have to choose which cost you're willing to pay.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I've talked about bounded rationality before.....I think both "methods" are flawed when it comes to dating or comes with a potential price. It's either, you settle with someone that gives you just enough of what you want but you never truly feel satisfied or you keep looking for that illusive "right one" and potentially be alone for the rest of your life. You pick your poison. Most people pick partners based on their circumstances (what's available, proximity, who's the best out of that particular bunch for them, cognitive limits; I.E: bounded rationality). Those relationships don't come with a guarantee they'll last as long as you want and most end up splitting anyway. But I guess people feel that's better than being alone....meh.....I'm not sure.

Well, yeah, I would think most of those would end up splitting up.

I don't know about "most people" in general, but the ones I know well didn't partner out of rationality, but because they were very much in love and wanted to spend their lives together. Overwhelmingly, they're still together.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:00 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well, yeah, I would think most of those would end up splitting up.

I don't know about "most people" in general, but the ones I know well didn't partner out of rationality, but because they were very much in love and wanted to spend their lives together. Overwhelmingly, they're still together.
Well that's good for them I guess. But when I say rationality, I mean it's unconscious. And I didn't say love couldn't come out of it at all. It just doesn't always last. Like with any relationship no matter how someone goes about getting into one. I just broke it down into a few categories, they're not consciously saying, "well let me see who I can get that's close by." It just happens naturally because it's logical to do it that way. Most folks aren't really looking WAY outside of where they are to meet someone. At least, the people I know didn't/do not.

Yeah there are those rare situations where people from far away come together, but those exceptions don't make the rule. At least, not in my opinion. I was kind of mainly addressing the narrative that OLD is a problem because it gives people too many options. Folks who think like that seem to believe that it's a bad thing because it makes people refuse to settle with who is good enough for the time being. At least that's how it comes off. I don't think either approach is better than the other. People have the right to go for what they want, no matter how "impossible" it may seem.

Last edited by Auraliea; 11-07-2019 at 12:17 PM..

Old 11-08-2019, 01:32 AM

8 posts, read 3,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm a divorced guy in my 40s looking to date women in the same age bracket. I have been on and off the various dating sites and I have started to notice a trend that women in this age bracket just don't know how to carry a conversation online. This happens both when I start the conversation and in cases where they have started the conversation. ...
I've noticed the same type of thing but, I haven't seen it restricted to gender or age. Some people just don't respond in the way you (and I) would like. To me it just means I'm not wasting my time getting to know someone who my not put in an effort. And though I haven't ever talked to anyone specifically just for dating purposes, I can see how frustrating it must be.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:42 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think a lot of people are always on the hunt thinking they can get a better deal. Because the unlimited supply of singles in the internet makes them think they have unlimited options.
I can't even imagine thinking of dating in terms of a "deal".

Old 11-09-2019, 03:46 PM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

Yep , that's the fake allusion of things these days.
But the real reality of it in the end is women and men mostly seem to just end up going in circles for yrs and yrs until eventually they just can't stand it anymore and get off it.
When l was on one most of them had been on them years doing just that. No women l met had anything good to say about it all, moreso they were just exhausted with it.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:47 PM

818 posts, read 456,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I can't even imagine thinking of dating in terms of a "deal".

Me either , pretty sad eh.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:56 PM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk101 View Post
Yep , that's the fake allusion of things these days.
But the real reality of it in the end is women and men mostly seem to just end up going in circles for yrs and yrs until eventually they just can't stand it anymore and get off it.
When l was on one most of them had been on them years doing just that. No women l met had anything good to say about it all, moreso they were just exhausted with it.
Yep....online dating is now equivalent to pulling a lever on a slot machine,....getting that dopamine fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships